Ginga Densetsu: Requiem, SPOILER THREAD

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu: Requiem
4townie
Adviser
Adviser

Re: Ginga Densetsu: Requiem, SPOILER THREAD

Post by 4townie »

I feel like the people (or if it is Yoshi) that work on the covers, they could do better. This new cover looks boring, so much space where they could add more characters. I wonder if all future volume covers are going to be like this , with character headshots and the galaxy background :THOT:
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Volume 2 cover is revealed?! Let's see what it looks li-

So I suppose every single GDREQ volume is lazily gonna be like that? :tfw_aokabuto2:
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
4townie
Adviser
Adviser

Post by 4townie »

Spirit Tree wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:36 pm Volume 2 cover is revealed?! Let's see what it looks li-

So I suppose every single GDREQ volume is lazily gonna be like that? :tfw_aokabuto2:
I hope not...
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Also...
Digsu wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:36 pm
fantachan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:16 pm Ooh, a cover for volume 2!
(https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4537148632? ... uage=en_US)
I see we're sticking with a "character headshots against a galaxy BG" theme. :surprisegin:
Is it just me, or does it almost look like it's mean to go with the cover of the first volume? Like it's supposed to go on the left side of the volume 1 group shot.

Super quick and dirty edit, but hopefully it illustrates what I mean.
You are so creative when it comes to Ginga edit ideas, Digsu. And we love ya for it. :bon1:
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

Spirit Tree wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:36 pm Volume 2 cover is revealed?! Let's see what it looks li-

It could've been worse. They could have continued with pasting characters on photographs. :KRUMP:
4townie
Adviser
Adviser

Post by 4townie »

fantachan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:59 pm

It could've been worse. They could have continued with pasting characters on photographs. :KRUMP:
I'd honestly prefer that over whatever the hell Volume 2 cover is :tfw_sirius1:
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

I actually don't mind the photographs style even though it has gotten so old.

But it could've been much worse than that, Fanta. They could have done another awful cover of a dog showing his ass. :OUT:
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

4townie wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:01 pm

I'd honestly prefer that over whatever the hell Volume 2 cover is :tfw_sirius1:
I prefer the galaxy approach over the photograph approach. The photograph approach makes the covers look busy, makes the characters look like cardboard cutouts, and the characters don't mesh with the photographs very well. It makes the characters look like they're floating in space.
At least with the galaxy approach, even though the background may look boring, its simplicity allows the character headshots to stand out without them having to compete with the background. And they actually have an excuse to float in space. XD

For this cover, I'd have liked it better if the characters were placed more near the bottom going up instead of going up in a straight line in the center. It would have utilized the cover space better.

When it comes to Ginga covers, I'd have preferred it if the illustrators stuck to the TLW approach where some of the background is illustrated, and a character took up the rest of the space. Not only did it put emphasis on one character, but it's actually illustrated so everything comes together better. But I guess they can't do that anymore since the illustrators are clearly pressed for time.

But that's just my opinion.
Spirit Tree wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:14 pm

I actually don't mind the photographs style even though it has gotten so old.

But it could've been much worse than that, Fanta. They could have done another awful cover of a dog showing his ass. :OUT:
Ew, don't remind me of that. :OUT:
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

...Hey, at least these covers stand out from the rest of the Ginga series.
(From artistic standpoint these are very easy to do, and Takahashi is already in his seventies, so I absolutely give him some slack here)

I do wonder how long the series will go, because if they stick to this theme then they have to start recycle the characters that get in the covers.

.....not that it has prevented us from having an entire series with covers of the same three characters over and over again.
Tsukitora
Upholder
Upholder

Post by Tsukitora »

And then I’m hanging in the corner, just being glad the cover actually shows characters that are currently active/relevant 😂
Call me Cammi!
:mukonga: :fuuga: :mangariki: :gdwcross: :gdwakatora: :gdwkurotora: :gin: :lenny: :blue:

Avatar credit to the amazing Kasi!
Sandatora
Translator
Translator

Post by Sandatora »

I actually like the cover! :tfw_bella2: They could have been placed better so it would have less awkward space left over, but it's still pretty imo.
4townie
Adviser
Adviser

Post by 4townie »

Sandatora wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:10 am I actually like the cover! :tfw_bella2: They could have been placed better so it would have less awkward space left over, but it's still pretty imo.
The spacing is the problem I have with this cover :surprisegin: But like Tsukitora said, at least the characters have something to actually do with the story XD

Also, do we even know the plot of GDReq yet? :THOT:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

4townie wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:32 am Also, do we even know the plot of GDReq yet? :THOT:
From what we have right nowwww....

as gin is dying at the ripe age of """10"""", the Ouu army is split into 3, leaving Futago Pass vulnerable to the hidden dangerous lurkers, Kamakiri's family you never heard of before!!!....also there's bears in there somewhere

ImageImage
4townie
Adviser
Adviser

Post by 4townie »

Dragon wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:50 am
4townie wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:32 am Also, do we even know the plot of GDReq yet? :THOT:

as gin is dying at the ripe age of """10"""", the Ouu army is split into 3, leaving Futago Pass vulnerable to the hidden dangerous lurkers, Kamakiri's family you never heard of before!!!....also there's bears in there somewhere
Tbh, I think the whole bear arc is over :surprisegin: Since Jumbo (my nickname for the bear, others may call him ''Butthead Bear'') had both his eyes taken out in the recent chapter (i think it was in the recent chapter??), I think it is just over.
Elkhound
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Elkhound »

fantachan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:16 pm Ooh, a cover for volume 2!
(https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4537148632? ... uage=en_US)
I see we're sticking with a "character headshots against a galaxy BG" theme. :surprisegin:
how many times are we gonna get "collage of floating heads" official art? :tfw_bella1:
Elkhound
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Elkhound »

Dragon wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:15 pm
Digsu wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:24 pm
fantachan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:05 pm I just find it weird that Kagetora has a dark and light color palette on the covers, but is completely dark in the black and white pages. Like, pick a color palette and stick to it?? :bon3:
tbf it seems to be oddly common for Kai Kens in Ginga to be one solid color in black and white, but have white underbellies in colored images, so Kagetora isn't unique in that regard.
Ok thats really bizarre and I didnt even realize that
WHY.
I always assumed it was to make details stand out better with a lighter underside so they don't look like just a dark blob when colored in
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

4townie wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:55 am
Dragon wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:50 am

Tbh, I think the whole bear arc is over :surprisegin: Since Jumbo (my nickname for the bear, others may call him ''Butthead Bear'') had both his eyes taken out in the recent chapter (i think it was in the recent chapter??), I think it is just over.
I don't think so! :tfw_aokabuto1: There were 3 bears, one bigger than the other two. I thought this was one of the smaller 2 o3o Even if it was the bigger one, the others would surely come now that they're down 2 dogs, right?

ImageImage
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Tsukitora wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:28 pm And then I’m hanging in the corner, just being glad the cover actually shows characters that are currently active/relevant 😂
I am actually glad for that too! We've never had Kotetsu in front cover before, so it's nice to see him get some spotlight.
Shiruba
Legend
Legend

Post by Shiruba »

GB should be on the cover too... I do like it though, wonder if the next volume will have the 3rd generation on it?
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

I think at most with the cover, I just wish every cover went all out stacking a ton of dogs. We have so many chars to remember, why not? The fact there's now two Jerome ones show that mighhtt not be the plan x:

ImageImage

Return to “Ginga Densetsu: Requiem”