Ginga: The Last Wars SPOILER THREAD

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: The Last Wars.
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Ginga: The Last Wars SPOILER THREAD

Post by YamaDora »

Dragon wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:05 pm When you see them from the front, yes, there's clear differences in them. Weed now looks like Gin [face wise] but he doesn't have the stubble or scars. And Sirius has Weed's old cutesy eyes. However, when the faces aren't in the shot, you really can't tell the difference much.
Weed and Sirius can be mixed up if you see them only from behind, but Gin is very easy to tell apart even if you can't see his face.
Also, Takahashi's art style have changed over the time. If you take a picture of Weed from any point of GDW and compare it to Sirius in GDWO or Last Wars, it's still quite easy to tell them apart if you have read the manga and know the differences in Takahashi's art between the sagas/series. That is one of the reasons why I have no trouble telling the three torages apart. (but then again, I'm a comic artist myself and I focus so much on little details that my experience over reading this manga might be very different from non-artist)

Anyway, before I go too much off topic here, about the new chapter image: if that is supposed to represent Chibi's growth, then why his fur gets lighter as he gets older? I really liked the idea of a black bear with a red mohawk. :/
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker »

I think it's a matter of style then, not character differences. Gin always had a lighter undertone though so he's easy to tell apaert from Weed.

And is it me or Weed is really just a bland cameo here? All the important stuff that happens around the older generations are revolving mostly around Gin and Akame, Weed doesn't seem to have any real impact on the story not his own kids anymore.
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
Tsukitora
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Tsukitora »

Troll Berserker wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:20 pm I think it's a matter of style then, not character differences. Gin always had a lighter undertone though so he's easy to tell apaert from Weed.

And is it me or Weed is really just a bland cameo here? All the important stuff that happens around the older generations are revolving mostly around Gin and Akame, Weed doesn't seem to have any real impact on the story not his own kids anymore.
Yea, Gin's lighter and has scars, but what does Weed have to distinguish him from Sirius? It's gonna be tough to tell Sirius and Weed apart once the former is fully grown unless they get scars or one gets killed...

I'm really unhappy with Weed's less importance this time around. It's practically like he was never important to the series and Gin is still the real Supreme Commander |(
Call me Cammi!
:mukonga: :fuuga: :mangariki: :gdwcross: :gdwakatora: :gdwkurotora: :gin: :lenny: :blue:

Avatar credit to the amazing Kasi!
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Troll Berserker wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:38 pm Is that Chibi grownup chart? I guessed it was some sort of Chibi's lineage
My guess is that it's what Sirius thinks Chibi is going to look like growing up, culminating in him becoming identical to Monsoon because symbolism and stuff.

Assuming it can be taken at face value though, it seems to indicate that the current canon is that Akakabuto's cubs start out black with the crescent moon marking and turn brown as they age, which is... interesting :derpgin:

Tsukitora
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Tsukitora »

Which is sad, cuz I think we'd all like Chibi-bear to stay black even as a grown-up :bearchibi:
Call me Cammi!
:mukonga: :fuuga: :mangariki: :gdwcross: :gdwakatora: :gdwkurotora: :gin: :lenny: :blue:

Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Yeah maybe thats just Sirius' imagination...

Do you think Takahesi has already determined Chibi's name and will have Sirius name him soon? Now that he even imahines him older...
icon by azzai
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

Imagine Sirius naming Chibi Akakabuto lol

I really don’t want him to lose his black bear colours. It’d be really disappointing.
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Avatar by Kasi | Kin banner by Sandatora
Tsukitora
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Tsukitora »

Gingastar wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 pm Imagine Sirius naming Chibi Akakabuto lol
He would totally do this tbh

so don’t give him the idea :derpgin:
Call me Cammi!

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Doragon wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:22 pm
Dragon wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:05 pm When you see them from the front, yes, there's clear differences in them. Weed now looks like Gin [face wise] but he doesn't have the stubble or scars. And Sirius has Weed's old cutesy eyes. However, when the faces aren't in the shot, you really can't tell the difference much.
Weed and Sirius can be mixed up if you see them only from behind, but Gin is very easy to tell apart even if you can't see his face.
Also, Takahashi's art style have changed over the time. If you take a picture of Weed from any point of GDW and compare it to Sirius in GDWO or Last Wars, it's still quite easy to tell them apart if you have read the manga and know the differences in Takahashi's art between the sagas/series. That is one of the reasons why I have no trouble telling the three torages apart. (but then again, I'm a comic artist myself and I focus so much on little details that my experience over reading this manga might be very different from non-artist)

Anyway, before I go too much off topic here, about the new chapter image: if that is supposed to represent Chibi's growth, then why his fur gets lighter as he gets older? I really liked the idea of a black bear with a red mohawk. :/
Agreed, same for telling the difference between Gin and Weed, due to his style. Detail is easy for us, as artists, but since this is now his current style, if Yoshi drew a young Gin, young Weed, and Sirius, the only difference you'll have is Gin's scars. Personally, I think that's the worse route Yoshi could have taken, making them all look the same. Keep in mind, Joe is even another Gin clone, if it wasn't for his own scars. There's so many ways to make an Akita unique looking from each other but he continues to want to make them all the same. It's just... why ;;;

I agree about making Chibi lighter :C I hope that's not what happens and it's just some strange shading style.

ImageImage
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

Digsu wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:11 pm
Troll Berserker wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:38 pm Is that Chibi grownup chart? I guessed it was some sort of Chibi's lineage
My guess is that it's what Sirius thinks Chibi is going to look like growing up, culminating in him becoming identical to Monsoon because symbolism and stuff.

Assuming it can be taken at face value though, it seems to indicate that the current canon is that Akakabuto's cubs start out black with the crescent moon marking and turn brown as they age, which is... interesting :derpgin:
I think the top one is Akakabuto and then the next one is his child and then his grandchild and then great grandchild and so on until Chibi. So it's essentially Chibi's lineage up to Akakabuto. The bears became less and less "Akakabuto-ish" because the bloodline was thinned out with other bear races. So his father only had a lilttle mohawk, while his mom was a regular bear, so he should get a little mohawk aswell

YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Dragon wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:37 am Detail is easy for us, as artists, but since this is now his current style, if Yoshi drew a young Gin, young Weed, and Sirius, the only difference you'll have is Gin's scars. Personally, I think that's the worse route Yoshi could have taken, making them all look the same. Keep in mind, Joe is even another Gin clone, if it wasn't for his own scars. There's so many ways to make an Akita unique looking from each other but he continues to want to make them all the same.
Excuse me? You could tell Gin apart from Weed, Joe and Sirius EVEN WITHOUT his scars. Gin's fur doesn't have the grey undertone that Weed, Joe and Sirius has, making him easily recognizable.
FDQ wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:31 am I think the top one is Akakabuto and then the next one is his child and then his grandchild and then great grandchild and so on until Chibi. So it's essentially Chibi's lineage up to Akakabuto. The bears became less and less "Akakabuto-ish" because the bloodline was thinned out with other bear races. So his father only had a lilttle mohawk, while his mom was a regular bear, so he should get a little mohawk aswell
It could be otherwise, but look at the eyes: if you start from the bottom and go up, his eyes gradually change from baby eyes to adult eyes.
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

It is possible for the Asian black bears to be brown-colored. The ''black'' is just a name.
Also, notice how his white crescent sticks right where is is up until second-grown bear, and for that one we can't even see his chest, so I don't think the white patch is going anywhere anytime soon. ::)
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Doragon wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:15 am
Dragon wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:37 am Detail is easy for us, as artists, but since this is now his current style, if Yoshi drew a young Gin, young Weed, and Sirius, the only difference you'll have is Gin's scars. Personally, I think that's the worse route Yoshi could have taken, making them all look the same. Keep in mind, Joe is even another Gin clone, if it wasn't for his own scars. There's so many ways to make an Akita unique looking from each other but he continues to want to make them all the same.
Excuse me? You could tell Gin apart from Weed, Joe and Sirius EVEN WITHOUT his scars. Gin's fur doesn't have the grey undertone that Weed, Joe and Sirius has, making him easily recognizable.
Okay. Gin is lighter, but there's not much excuse for the other three. Yoshi just really should spice up his akita designing, cause if he ever makes another gen of characters and there's another akita that looks just like Weed/Sirius/Joe, ... I think I'd be speechless XD

ImageImage
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

As an artist, I usually can pick out the differences between Gin and Weed, but there are times that I still mistake the two for each other. The fact that Yoshi started drawing Weed's eyes the same as Gin's doesn't help. I literally have to fish around for Gin's scars or Weed's slightly darker coat color to see if the dog I'm looking at is Gin or Weed. Sirius is easy because he's got those baby/young eyes. :P
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

fantachan wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:14 pm As an artist, I usually can pick out the differences between Gin and Weed, but there are times that I still mistake the two for each other. The fact that Yoshi started drawing Weed's eyes the same as Gin's doesn't help. I literally have to fish around for Gin's scars or Weed's slightly darker coat color to see if the dog I'm looking at is Gin or Weed. Sirius is easy because he's got those baby/young eyes. :P
Yeah, exactly >_o it's like yeah, if you dont skim past the pages, we can tell who's who of course. Scars, eyes, their personality (sometimes), and slight color differences. I just feel like it's sad we even have to do such a thing, when these are main characters. The characters you should point to and be like "oh hey it's ___!" just by seeing them right away without second guessing. Even if some of us can tell who's who, it's definitely not good that some can still be confused of who is who.

Also, I gotta also wanna agree with Troll Berserker on the fact that it's depressing how Weed is finally healed but still so irrelevant lol He's the supreme leader, these are his sons who are fighting and struggling. Why isnt he on the covers or leading people?! I think after Weed had his kids,Yoshi just couldnt wait to make Weed take the back seat :/ I wonder if it's for nostalgia sake or does he legitimately find Weed boring now.

ImageImage
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker »

Dragon wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:11 am Also, I gotta also wanna agree with Troll Berserker on the fact that it's depressing how Weed is finally healed but still so irrelevant lol He's the supreme leader, these are his sons who are fighting and struggling. Why isnt he on the covers or leading people?! I think after Weed had his kids,Yoshi just couldnt wait to make Weed take the back seat :/ I wonder if it's for nostalgia sake or does he legitimately find Weed boring now.
Lol I even forget that Weed was the leader xD Nobody relies on him anymore, not his giant pack, not his friends, not even his own kids, lol.
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Troll Berserker wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:50 pm
Dragon wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:11 am Also, I gotta also wanna agree with Troll Berserker on the fact that it's depressing how Weed is finally healed but still so irrelevant lol He's the supreme leader, these are his sons who are fighting and struggling. Why isnt he on the covers or leading people?! I think after Weed had his kids,Yoshi just couldnt wait to make Weed take the back seat :/ I wonder if it's for nostalgia sake or does he legitimately find Weed boring now.
Lol I even forget that Weed was the leader xD Nobody relies on him anymore, not his giant pack, not his friends, not even his own kids, lol.
I know right! Everyone just wants their grandpa Gin, despite everyone forcing Weed to come save them in the Russian arc. What was the point of even keeping him alive if no one cares D:

ImageImage
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Maybe Takahashi isn't giving Weed too much role because he and Sirius looks almost the same? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
Just for the record: Jonh died early in GDW where Jerome was quite important character, Ben (who was very, very important in GNG) pretty much sat in the sidelines the whole duration of GDW when his son Ken was taking the spotlight, shortly after his introduction Joe got scars on his face (probably because otherwise he was too much like Weed) and Joe's son Koshiro disappeared and got forgotten very coincidentally right after Orion became a thing.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Dragon wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:09 pm
Troll Berserker wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:50 pm
I know right! Everyone just wants their grandpa Gin, despite everyone forcing Weed to come save them in the Russian arc. What was the point of even keeping him alive if no one cares D:
To be fair, the Ohu army was kind of helpless without Weed in the Russian arc was because most the cannon fodder volunteer soldiers didn't feel like joining the fight without the magnificence that is Weed leading them. Since all the dogs fighting for Ohu right now are more or less seasoned fighters instead of a ragtag bunch of civilians, they don't really have a reason for turning to Weed for the slightest thing.

...Though now that I think of it, the fact that they haven't recruited more meat-shields kind-hearted dogs acting entirely out of their own free will after Monsoon's family got gunned down is a bit weird. Maybe they're waiting until Weed (or whoever's the de facto leader at the moment) gives the okay to prepare for assault?

Tsukitora
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Tsukitora »

Digsu wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:33 pm
...Though now that I think of it, the fact that they haven't recruited more meat-shields kind-hearted dogs acting entirely out of their own free will after Monsoon's family got gunned down is a bit weird. Maybe they're waiting until Weed (or whoever's the de facto leader at the moment) gives the okay to prepare for assault?
See, I’ve been hoping maybe there would be a part where some of the Ohu dogs head out to seek and recruit more helpers in a wider area, like they did in GNG. Or maybe Reika and sons or Bella and Koyuki could return with some surprise backup, like Suzaku and the Hokkaido dogs?

But frankly, I’m not sure Yoshi would think to do that |( Even though it would potentially make a lot long-missing characters more useful to the plotline...
Call me Cammi!

Return to “Ginga: The Last Wars”