GDW General Questions Thread

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: GDW General Questions Thread

Post by Atha »

When was Weed born? Winter, Spring, Summer?

I'm a little confused because it's said before Jerome 'died' that Weed hasn't seen Spring yet, but it's also said he became 1 years old soon after he defeated Hougen. Plus Kyoushirou says they're about the same age, and Kyoushirou became 1 years old once he joined Ou to fight Hougen (which was Winter).
icon by azzai
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Atha wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:49 pm When was Weed born? Winter, Spring, Summer?

I'm a little confused because it's said before Jerome 'died' that Weed hasn't seen Spring yet, but it's also said he became 1 years old soon after he defeated Hougen. Plus Kyoushirou says they're about the same age, and Kyoushirou became 1 years old once he joined Ou to fight Hougen (which was Winter).
Most likely summer or very early fall, as it's said to be September when Weed and GB first arrive in Ohu.

However... GDW is ridiculously bad about keeping a proper timeline of things, so trying to pin a single event in the right month or even season can range from difficult to impossible. I once made a post about it in the LOTPW topic so I'll just quote the whole thing here just to illustrate how terrible it is.
Digsu wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:06 am I know I've said before that I can't even be bothered to make any sense of the GDW timeline anymore but let me reiterate just how batshit insane it is:

-in volume 2, the narration states that it was late September when Weed and GB first arrived in Ohu.
-in volume 21 Hidetoshi tells Sudou that they exterminated the wild dogs of Futago Pass in December of the previous year.
-the monkey arc is implied to take place very shortly after the Hougen arc, which ended when winter was nearly over. The monkey arc thus presumably takes place in spring.
-in volume 35, it's said to be fall in Futago Pass.
-volume 36, Chako says it'd been about three months since she first met Sasuke.
-in volume 40, Maxim and Lydia's father says it's still summer.
-also in volume 40, Weed claims it's been a year since Sakura's death. Going by the first two points, this would mean that it's September or December which doesn't even make any sense.
-in volume 51, Gin says that the seawater is colder than it was when the Russian dogs arrived. So presumably now it's fall.
-in volume 52, Joe claims he'd heard about Yukimura's death the previous year. Even though by all logic Yukimura had died in the spring of that year.
-in volume 60, it's said that Weed and Koyuki's pups were born two months after the end of the hybrids arc... even though Koyuki was already pregnant by then.This would mean that either canine pregnancy in Ginga is longer than in real life or Weed somehow managed to knock Koyuki up while the whole thing with the hybrids was still going on.
-also in volume 60, Daisuke comments that fall has come when he sees the Orion constellation in the sky. So now it's finally fall, I guess?

In short,
Digsu wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 pm Oh boy I completely forgot that when Kyoshiro goes to Koga to pick up the former puppies in vol 40, it's said they'd been there for six months.

This would make sense by itself, since it's (probably) summer so it'd mean the pups were left in Koga in January or February. But if you combine it with Sakura having died a year ago it would mean that Sakura died sometime in summer, and it took six months between her death and the pups being left in Koga. And if you take the September/December thing into account it just stops making any kind of sense.

So I still have absolutely no idea what the frick is going on here.

YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Digsu wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:04 pm
Atha wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:49 pm When was Weed born? Winter, Spring, Summer?

Most likely summer or very early fall, as it's said to be September when Weed and GB first arrive in Ohu.
While they're on their way to Ohu, just before GB and Weed meet Lenny they go swimming in a river because it's really hot. I've always assumed it's late summer at that point, and considering how little Weed still is, he might've been born at the end of spring or beginning of the summer.
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Thanks guys! I'm trying to make a story based on the timeline around when Weed and Kyoushirou were born and Hougen started to rise in power so I'll just... try to make some sense out of this...

So the timespan between when Weed and GB arrived in Ou (September) and Hougen's death (late Winter/February) is ~5 months? Has it ever been said what Weed's age was when he fought Hougen?
icon by azzai
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Atha wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:43 pm Thanks guys! I'm trying to make a story based on the timeline around when Weed and Kyoushirou were born and Hougen started to rise in power so I'll just... try to make some sense out of this...

So the timespan between when Weed and GB arrived in Ou (September) and Hougen's death (late Winter/February) is ~5 months? Has it ever been said what Weed's age was when he fought Hougen?
In the hybrids arc, it's said Weed was a year old when he defeated Hougen, but there's no way of knowing if that's actually true because a) it's coming from Liger, who'd only heard rumors of Hougen's defeat, and b) this would mean that Weed was born in winter/late spring, which would just raise some additional questions.

I'd say go with whatever plausible timeframe you can think of, since the actual canon timeline is such a trainwreck.

methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

In GDW volume 4, Sasuke tells to Gin, John and Akame that Sakura died before the summer, and that Weed was 6 months old when that happened.

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

methpring wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:17 am In GDW volume 4, Sasuke tells to Gin, John and Akame that Sakura died before the summer, and that Weed was 6 months old when that happened.
...That would mean that Weed has already seen Spring. Oh gosh it is indeed a mess.
icon by azzai
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

^Anime altered many things, like the speech Jerome gives Weed about the spring. In manga that speech never happened.

In volume 16, Weed leaves all puppies under 1 year old to the Koga Elder, so at this point he himself has to be over 1 year, otherwise it would be quite odd scene.

Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

^Oooh I see, I didn't know it wasn't in the manga. So if Weed's mom died before Summer when he was 6mo and he turned 1years old when he fought Hougen in Winter, a 6 month period passed... Not sure how that fits in the timeline yet.

But yeah I too found it odd when Weed and Kyou left the less-than-1 year old pups behind when it was implied he wasn't 1 years old yet.
icon by azzai
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

In volume 13 Tesshin says that it's been about a year and half since pregnant Sakura went missing - so Weed should be over a year at that point.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Doragon wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:08 pm In volume 13 Tesshin says that it's been about a year and half since pregnant Sakura went missing - so Weed should be over a year at that point.
Uhhh wow, you're right. He did say that.....but Weed does grow bigger over time and is said to be 'a year' at some points ...
so did Yoshi really think dogs take 9 months to give birth? lol

ImageImage
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

When John died, Hiro took care of his fang. What did he do with that? Then he showed the fang for Moss and Musashi. Did he have it in his mouth all time haha? :P4:
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Ceie wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:36 pm When John died, Hiro took care of his fang. What did he do with that? Then he showed the fang for Moss and Musashi. Did he have it in his mouth all time haha? :P4:
Hiro taking John's fang was an anime addition. After the war, it was buried in Futago Pass, so that at least a part of John could be buried in Ohu. This was presumably meant to be the equivalent of the senile Ben finding John's body and bringing it to his former owner to receive a proper burial in the manga, which wouldn't have made much sense in the anime where Ben is still more or less completely sane.

As for where Hiro kept it all the time... It's probably best not to think about it too much :derpgin:

methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

Digsu wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:33 pm
Ceie wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:36 pm When John died, Hiro took care of his fang. What did he do with that? Then he showed the fang for Moss and Musashi. Did he have it in his mouth all time haha? :P4:
Hiro taking John's fang was an anime addition. After the war, it was buried in Futago Pass, so that at least a part of John could be buried in Ohu. This was presumably meant to be the equivalent of the senile Ben finding John's body and bringing it to his former owner to receive a proper burial in the manga, which wouldn't have made much sense in the anime where Ben is still more or less completely sane.

As for where Hiro kept it all the time... It's probably best not to think about it too much :derpgin:
Hiro gave the fang to Hook and asked him to take it to Ouu.

Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

methpring wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:57 pm

Oh that's right! But still weird they showed it to Musashi and Moss if they buried the fang in Ohu?
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

Ceie wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:02 am
methpring wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:57 pm

Oh that's right! But still weird they showed it to Musashi and Moss if they buried the fang in Ohu?
My theory is that they buried it only after Hougen was defeated, and before that stored it in their hideout.

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Does anyone know why John is called 'the Eastern Tiger' when he died? He's not tiger striped ... is it to represent him being a 'hunter' and ... .. I dunno..Finland being in Eastern europe? Sorry if that's not right lol I just have no other idea. I thought the finland idea for Johnn was a late idea since he knew english in GNG.

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Dragon wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:38 am Does anyone know why John is called 'the Eastern Tiger' when he died? He's not tiger striped ... is it to represent him being a 'hunter' and ... .. I dunno..Finland being in Eastern europe? Sorry if that's not right lol I just have no other idea. I thought the finland idea for Johnn was a late idea since he knew english in GNG.
John being from Finland was a retcon made when Andy was introduced in GDWO volume 19. I don't think Yoshi even knew he had a Finnish fanbase back when John died :surprisegin: Also technically Finland is considered to be part of Northern Europe, not Eastern Europe.

It's never explained where the nickname came from and it's never used before or again after his death. Maybe it was a reference to his fierce nature and the fact that, at the time, he was supposed to be from Tokyo, which is in eastern Japan and whose name literally means "eastern capital".

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Digsu wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:02 am
Dragon wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:38 am Does anyone know why John is called 'the Eastern Tiger' when he died? He's not tiger striped ... is it to represent him being a 'hunter' and ... .. I dunno..Finland being in Eastern europe? Sorry if that's not right lol I just have no other idea. I thought the finland idea for Johnn was a late idea since he knew english in GNG.
John being from Finland was a retcon made when Andy was introduced in GDWO volume 19. I don't think Yoshi even knew he had a Finnish fanbase back when John died :surprisegin: Also technically Finland is considered to be part of Northern Europe, not Eastern Europe.

It's never explained where the nickname came from and it's never used before or again after his death. Maybe it was a reference to his fierce nature and the fact that, at the time, he was supposed to be from Tokyo, which is in eastern Japan and whose name literally means "eastern capital".
Thought so LOL That doesn't surprise me at all.
Ah, sorry about my ignorance of the map ^^;;; I tried googling it but got confused still.

Ohhhh! Okay, that's a really good explanation!

ImageImage
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

In GDW early volumes it says that the Ohu high command wasn't letting anyone in their territory and killed anyone who came too close, their own low-rank soldiers, women and children included, to enforce such a role. That's not very noble. Was it really Gin's command? Or Tokimune's? It's never explained.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”