Winds of change...

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Winds of change...

Post by Kaiken »

Character appearance change during the series progress as they evolve. Here's what some characters looked like when they first appeared! Feel free to continue this topic by adding your own screenshots of their first appearances.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Re: Winds of change...

Post by Kaiken »

For some reason I couldn't upload more on the main topic...
Last edited by Kaiken on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Oh. So it's the limit of three then. Sheesh...
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

and more...
Last edited by Kaiken on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

I hope it's ok with so many double posts, if they're on my own topic and for pictures only?
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

sorry
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

almost last one
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Now the last. My favorite - the many designs of Ron.
He reminds me of Jerome - they both were trained attack dogs, who betrayed their owners for Ohu army.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Try uploading your images to an external hosting site like Imgur and then linking them from there, there's no image limit per post that way.

Anyway, imho most of those examples are stylistic changes and not design changes. Especially early GNG seemed to have this weird thing where characters had a weird, semi-realistic look before quickly shifting to the standard GNG style.

Anyway Part 2, Chutora's sons (aside from Dodo) looked a bit different during their first appearance

Buru had no white spots above his eyes.

Shouji's brindle was darker.

Shigure was much lighter and spottier.

And then there's... whatever the hell happened to Kurokirimaru and Tsumuji between the first and second chapters they appeared in.

(Kurokiri on the left, Tsumuji on the right)
ImageImage

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Digsu wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:39 pm Try uploading your images to an external hosting site like Imgur and then linking them from there, there's no image limit per post that way.

Anyway, imho most of those examples are stylistic changes and not design changes. Especially early GNG seemed to have this weird thing where characters had a weird, semi-realistic look before quickly shifting to the standard GNG style.

Anyway Part 2, Chutora's sons (aside from Dodo) looked a bit different during their first appearance

Buru had no white spots above his eyes.

Shouji's brindle was darker.

Shigure was much lighter and spottier.

And then there's... whatever the hell happened to Kurokirimaru and Tsumuji between the first and second chapters they appeared in.

(Kurokiri on the left, Tsumuji on the right)

Well, Riki's got scars he didn't had later (I think) and way more red than later. I suppose it's Yoshi's early dog style, for they're the same in Yamato.

Yeah, it's a good idea, just really time consuming.

OMG :O I Had no idea those guys were Kurokirimaru and Tsumuji back there O_O
Favorites:
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

This is a cool topic! Ron's design/first appearance is also one of my favourites.

Kaiken I would appreciate it if you could use an external host like imgur, then you can have as many images in the topic as you want. The reason there is a limit on attachments is because attaching images means uploading to GB's server, and I don't want anyone abusing that when external hosts are freely available ;)
Sonichu
Defender
Defender

Post by Sonichu »

Usually, design changes don't escape me but RON I honestly had no idea despite reading his debut like 2 weeks ago X.X I guess I was too caught up in the story!
All of I can think of is Eyebrows background dog always having a perfect set design...
Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

One of my favorite appearance changes is Cross, because she was drawn more masculine and actually spoke with male pronouns at first (in original Japanese text), then switched over when revealed to be female. It's so interesting to me!
GingaBoard's Resident Lloyd Fan
:belmond: :kurotora: :lloyd: :hyakkiga: My Twitch || My Twitter :george: :ken: :lydia: :unsai:

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Kaiken wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:25 pm OMG :O I Had no idea those guys were Kurokirimaru and Tsumuji back there O_O
I don't blame you, the change in design is both ridiculously drastic and really, really sudden. The two of them literally change appearances between two back-to-back chapters. :derpgin:

Chapter 19:

Chapter 20:

Also, speaking of Ron, there exists at least one colored image where he has his original pale coloration and the forehead stripe of his final design. Make of that what you will.
(full image on FDQ's flickr)

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Poor Mukku went from graceful/gentle to bug-eyed. It's like he got to experience the lazy-GDW style and the nice style before becoming irrelevant. A secret blessing?
Beginning
ImageImage

Recent
ImageImageImage

And do I even need to bring up Rocket ;;;;
beginning

recent

Another one that's kinda surprising ... Riki!
The very beginning [his three scars shows up then disappears LOL]
Image Image
A bonus change

then his normal look [keep in mind, his 'akita eyebrows' sticking close to the center]

Andddd him now [HIS EYEBROWS DISCONNECT IOJASJAOSSIJ Idk why but I hate that a lot]

ImageImage
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Tikikata wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:33 pm One of my favorite appearance changes is Cross, because she was drawn more masculine and actually spoke with male pronouns at first (in original Japanese text), then switched over when revealed to be female. It's so interesting to me!
I bet she was supposed to be a male, and only later changed to female. Yoshi had made up his mind when Cross shoos away Gin, but on that hill, it was definitely male.
Favorites:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I happened to remember this topic existed and I figured I might as well post this one thing I noticed in GDWO some time ago.

"Why didn't you show yourself, Masamune?"
"I would've liked to see the guy's face [if you did]. Ha ha..."

One of these dogs is apparently Masamune, and even though they're just silhouettes you can tell he apparently had a very different design at this point. All the dogs have straight/sickle tails, as opposed to Masamune's curled one, and none have his distinctive mane, suggesting that Yoshi was initially planning to make look more like a generic Kai Ken than the more unusual, Akita-like design he ended up with.

Of course none of the dogs have his signature scarf, either, but that could maybe be excused as him not wearing it in this scene for goodness knows what reason.

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”