Ginga wasn't originally supposed to be just about dogs

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Ginga wasn't originally supposed to be just about dogs

Post by Digsu »

This is an excerpt from an interview included in the Finnish edition of Byakuren no Fang volume 2. There's no mention of where it was originally published but there's a note saying it was in 2011. I took the liberty of translating it as it's a pretty interesting piece of Ginga trivia.
"I named it Ginga, "silver fang", so that it could also refer to animals other than dogs. Like sharks and lions, anything with fangs. I was planning to divide it into ten one-chapter manga stories about different animals. That's why I was planning on ending it during the Akakabuto arc, when the dogs are running towards the bear. However, the publisher and readers thought it was just starting to get interesting and I should definitely continue it. Wait, what? You really want the dogs to fight a bear? Even bearhounds do nothing but keep the bear in place. They'd die in seconds if they actually tried to bite it. I initially thought it was completely impossible. :-D"
Imagine that instead of the ongoing adventures of the Bearhound Family and Friends, we almost had one-shots about dogs and sharks and lions (oh my!) instead.

Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: Ginga wasn't originally supposed to be just about dogs

Post by Atha »

Thanks for the info! If he had ended it before the final fight it would have been just anticlimatic as hell, so for once I agree with the publishers' meddling. All this build up for the final fight for nothing? I wouldn't mind if it'd ended with Gin and his friends dying at the end like he then wanted, but a fight to happen was necessary.

Also more animal stories than just dogs would've been great!
icon by azzai
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

This... this... THIS IS INTERESTING TO KNOW!
That is something to put in Trivia absolutly!
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

This interview is from 3rd edition of Byakuren no Fang.

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
Shiruba
Legend
Legend

Post by Shiruba »

Huh... I wonder what direction it would have gone in if sharks and lions were included?
Flanoir
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flanoir »

I also wonder if he is referring to the build-up to the final battle or if it may have been an earlier scene, like maybe around the time he eventually had the dogs talk? (Not having them talking before is also consistent with this info, this is pretty interesting)
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Wait, what? You really want the dogs to fight a bear? Even bearhounds do nothing but keep the bear in place. They'd die in seconds if they actually tried to bite it. I initially thought it was completely impossible. :-D"
............LMAO. :surprisegin:
Even Yoshi just couldn't handle that level of impossible. I feel bad he had to make even more impossible things happened at this point. It's no wonder Orion is so OP, he's probably just pushing it more and more for the lulz at this point.
Aaaaaa. It makes me feel a bit bad, but I'll still enjoy the over-the-top story he made for us. I would've approved everyone dying as well, like Atha said. Gotta thank the editors and fans for speaking up so it didn't just... end.

edit: You know, John said this same thing LOL John was secretly right all along. Shoulda stayed with the doc

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Flanoir wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:40 pm I also wonder if he is referring to the build-up to the final battle or if it may have been an earlier scene, like maybe around the time he eventually had the dogs talk? (Not having them talking before is also consistent with this info, this is pretty interesting)
My guess would be either the scene where where Gohei's dogs are tracking Akakabuto or the one where Ben's platoon attacks and kills a bear, or maybe even a scene that didn't make it into the final story at all. Since he said he wanted to make each animal only have one chapter and that the story was only "starting to get interesting" by the time he wanted to end it I doubt he was referring to the final battle.

Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Dragon wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:48 pm
Wait, what? You really want the dogs to fight a bear? Even bearhounds do nothing but keep the bear in place. They'd die in seconds if they actually tried to bite it. I initially thought it was completely impossible. :-D"
Even Yoshi just couldn't handle that level of impossible. I feel bad he had to make even more impossible things happened at this point. It's no wonder Orion is so OP, he's probably just pushing it more and more for the lulz at this point.
Aaaaaa. It makes me feel a bit bad, but I'll still enjoy the over-the-top story he made for us. I would've approved everyone dying as well, like Atha said. Gotta thank the editors and fans for speaking up so it didn't just... end.

edit: You know, John said this same thing LOL John was secretly right all along. Shoulda stayed with the doc
It might have gone like

"Okay I m stopping this story because dogs can't kill giant bears, I'll leave it to the imagination as they march."
"Absolutely not! You are writing and drawing the entire battle!"
"Uh, okay. Then I'll have Gin be a real shooting star and die young, and most of the cast dies heroically for each other."
"Negative! Gin must live!!! You can only kill 3 characters! And the bears must die!"
"FINE so now Riki has a special Shounen Power that decapitates bears and could have used all along but didn't till now for some reason?!"
"That's better!"
icon by azzai
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Atha wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:59 pm
Dragon wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:48 pm

It might have gone like

"Okay I m stopping this story because dogs can't kill giant bears, I'll leave it to the imagination as they march."
"Absolutely not! You are writing and drawing the entire battle!"
"Uh, okay. Then I'll have Gin be a real shooting star and die young, and most of the cast dies heroically for each other."
"Negative! Gin must live!!! You can only kill 3 characters! And the bears must die!"
"FINE so now Riki has a special Shounen Power that decapitates bears and could have used all along but didn't till now for some reason?!"
"That's better!"
I can totally see that convo go that way!
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”