Fix that Mix!

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Astor
Comrade
Comrade

Fix that Mix!

Post by Astor »

So I thought it would be fun to set up a little ‘game’ of sorts where we look at the ‘unknown’ mixed breeds in the many YT series and assign what we think would be the most suited breeds for them. This spawned from us looking at Masamune’s design in the discord.

To start:
I would consider Masamune to be an American Akita x Kai! He’s drawn similar to Yoshi’s Akita with a bit more of a bigger build, but his markings (particularly the black mask) scream American Akita instead. The explain the lack of stripes, he could carry the gene for the cream Kai :D

ALSO - if you think an official breed doesn’t suit a character’s design, feel free to off a change of breed here too :D let’s figure out these weird dogs!
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Re: Fix that Mix!

Post by Digsu »

Personally, I'd consider Masamune a Japanese Akita/Kai mix - most of the Kurohabaki dogs look like they could be Kai or Akita mixes, which would tie in with the clan being centuries old. Masamune being an American Akita mix would kind of be at odds with the extremely traditional Japanese vibe he's got about him and the black muzzle could be from his Kai side, but that's just my opinion, naturally.

According to Meishobu Retsuden, Robert is... an American foxhound mix, of all things. I'm going to propose he's actually mix of mastiff (general body shape) and Staffy (white color), because come on.

Again according to MR, Kaibutsu is a Nihonken mix. From what little we see of him before he was mutated, he looked more like a purebred German shepherd, but if we're gonna stick to the Nihonken mix thing, I'd say he's a GSD/Kai mix - you could maybe argue that his black saddle may actually have been a brindle of sorts.

Although they're not confirmed to be mixes, Harutora and Nobutora have a bit too much white on them for them to be pure Kais (not to be confused with the white underbellies even purebred Kais have in colored images). Their and Kurotora's mother was probably a white Kishu. Why? Because it's Ginga. Of course she was a white Kishu.

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

I also feel the same that Masamune is more Akita and Kai mix, that dark on muzzle can come from the Kai. ^^

Speaking of Akita mixes... We know Mukku is an Akita mix. To me he looks like a mix of Samoyed.

Digsu wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:53 pm Image
Again according to MR, Kaibutsu is a Nihonken mix. From what little we see of him before he was mutated, he looked more like a purebred German shepherd, but if we're gonna stick to the Nihonken mix thing, I'd say he's a GSD/Kai mix - you could maybe argue that his black saddle may actually have been a brindle of sorts.
Can I use these pic of Kaibutsu on GingaWiki? ^^
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Tora wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:35 pm I also feel the same that Masamune is more Akita and Kai mix, that dark on muzzle can come from the Kai. ^^

Speaking of Akita mixes... We know Mukku is an Akita mix. To me he looks like a mix of Samoyed.

Digsu wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:53 pm Image
Can I use these pic of Kaibutsu on GingaWiki? ^^
Go ahead! ^^

I think Mukku could plausibly be a Samoyed/Akita mix from a white Akita.

Flanoir
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flanoir »

Was Masamune ever confirmed to even be genetically related to the clan? I always thought Terumune just took him in.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Flanoir wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:33 pm Was Masamune ever confirmed to even be genetically related to the clan? I always thought Terumune just took him in.
He's only ever referred to as Terumune's son/Yamabiko's elder brother, even by Terumune and the narrator who should know he's adopted if that was the case, so it would be very unlikely for him not to be the biological heir of Kurohabaki.

ZackThePuppy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ZackThePuppy »

I headcanon Heuler as a husky/black and tan coonhound mix. It would explain why the light-colored areas of his body are more whitish than brown, and why he has blue eyes in the anime. (Even though the anime gave a whole bunch of dogs blue eyes, even those whose breeds cannot possibly have blue eyes, lol).
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

Sorry for no picture. I'm at work. XD

Nyuudounsai Sanada

Given his red-colored coat (his aged white face notwithstanding), I considered him an Irish Setter mix. I think he might have some Great Dane in him given his height and muzzle color. Not even Hidetoshi knows what Unsai's breed is when he's asked.
Ian
Translator
Translator

Post by Ian »

Buruge is a Rhodesian Ridgeback/Blackmouth Cur mix

Chuck and Booby are Irish Setters

Liger is a Lurcher (Sighthound/Terrier mix)

Gennai is a Great Pyrenees/Old English Sheepdog mix
Done.
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

My new head-canon is that Masamune is a Tibetan Mastiff cross Kai mix

Mane/hair-do and tail from the Tibetan Mastiff. Shorter coat and ears from the Kai XD
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
Suetic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Suetic »

^ That would certainly explain the weird haircut and the massive size. :o

InstagramToyhou.seTumblrTwitter

⚡Avatar by Pikafuey.⚡
Astor
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Astor »

Kasi wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:22 am My new head-canon is that Masamune is a Tibetan Mastiff cross Kai mix

Mane/hair-do and tail from the Tibetan Mastiff. Shorter coat and ears from the Kai XD
That’s... a good point LOL I never thought of a TM! I must admit I still like American Akita Masa but Tibetan Mastiff is good too!
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Teru is hard to pinpoint. His father has half-floppy ears and a bushy but straight tail. I'm guessing an English Shepherd mix.
Image Image

Teru has fully floppy ears. I'll guess his mother was a Pointer.
icon by azzai
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Kai Tibetan Masamune is an interesting mix! His mane being explained but also while being small because of the Kai mixed in, which is a breed that is said to be small even in the gingaverse. This is definitely important since Ginga makes almost every adult the same height.

ImageImage
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

If he's Tibetian mix then I'd laugh because it means Terumune who's a Kai got it on with a female three times his size.
icon by azzai
Ian
Translator
Translator

Post by Ian »

I picked up a giant breed book, and was flipping through it, and changed my mind about Buruge.

He's totally a Bavarian Mountain Hound
Done.
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

I'd say Rocca is either a beauceron, German shepherd or GSD and doberman mix.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”