GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Digsu »

fantachan wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:16 am
Tora wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 am I wonder about the translation of the two wolf sides:

狼王国軍団 = Wolf Monarchy Army or Wolf Monarchy Corps or Wolf Kingdom Army or Wolf Kingdom Corps

黒狼帝国軍団 = Black Wolf Empire Army or Black Wolf Empire Corps

Which would be the good English tranlation?
For 狼王国軍団, "Wolf Kingdom Army" makes more sense (or you could try Army of the Wolf Kingdom)

As for 黒狼帝国軍団, I'd say Black Wolf Empire Army (or Army of the Black Wolf Empire )
For what it's worth, the 黒狼 in the Empire's proper title specifically refers to Gaia's ancestor, Black Wolf, whose name is written in kanji but read as "Black Wolf".

I don't know if that affects the English translation, though. Maybe "the Army of Black Wolf's Empire" would make it clearer it's referring to the army of Black Wolf's descendants, not that the Empire wolves themselves are black?

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Digsu wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:56 am
Tora wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 am I wonder about the translation of the two wolf sides:

狼王国軍団 = Wolf Monarchy Army or Wolf Monarchy Corps or Wolf Kingdom Army or Wolf Kingdom Corps

For 狼王国軍団, "Wolf Kingdom Army" makes more sense (or you could try Army of the Wolf Kingdom)

As for 黒狼帝国軍団, I'd say Black Wolf Empire Army (or Army of the Black Wolf Empire )
For what it's worth, the 黒狼 in the Empire's proper title specifically refers to Gaia's ancestor, Black Wolf, whose name is written in kanji but read as "Black Wolf".

I don't know if that affects the English translation, though. Maybe "the Army of Black Wolf's Empire" would make it clearer it's referring to the army of Black Wolf's descendants, not that the Empire wolves themselves are black?
Oooo, that's intersting! that would make it "Black Wolf's Empire Army". Sound so much better ^^
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

Digsu wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:56 am

I think your suggestion is better, now that I know who Black Wolf is (haven'tread the wolf arc, lol)
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

With Beth/Bess and Rokusuke, does it say anywhere in the manga or Meteor Gin what breeds they are? Or is the Great Dane and Kishu just what people think they are?

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

Tora wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:30 am With Beth/Bess and Rokusuke, does it say anywhere in the manga or Meteor Gin what breeds they are? Or is the Great Dane and Kishu just what people think they are?
Meteor Gin doesn't mention their breeds, and I don't remember them being mentioned in the manga either.

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Why didn't Akame trio and Kai trio jump in Oliver's car?
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Kaiken wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:19 pm Why didn't Akame trio and Kai trio jump in Oliver's car?
It's been a while since I watched the anime, but if I recall correctly they thought they could travel faster without the car or something.

In the manga they go in the car with others.
Sketch-Shepherd

Post by Sketch-Shepherd »

What the actual hell was the deal with Ben's blindness between series? I read the entire wolf arc on Silver Fang Reader and I'm still extremely confused about the fact that Mukong smacking Ben with his Battouga somehow magically cured his blindness, but by GDW he's completely blind all over again and they don't once address him getting his vision back in the wolf arc.

Was that cure supposed to just be temporary or did YT just deliberately disregard any connection to the wolf arc because it was just that ridiculous?
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Sketch-Shepherd wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:33 pm What the actual hell was the deal with Ben's blindness between series? I read the entire wolf arc on Silver Fang Reader and I'm still extremely confused about the fact that Mukong smacking Ben with his Battouga somehow magically cured his blindness, but by GDW he's completely blind all over again and they don't once address him getting his vision back in the wolf arc.

Was that cure supposed to just be temporary or did YT just deliberately disregard any connection to the wolf arc because it was just that ridiculous?
In an interview that was archived on the old board, Yoshi admitted that he only did the wolf arc because his publisher pressured him to continue the series and he's not that fond of it himself. The arc is of questionable canonicity from GDW onwards: while major things like the wolves and the multiple Battougas are never mentioned again, there are some nods to the wolf arc, like the rare mention of the Ohu army's "two great wars" before GDW and Bemu and Bill remaining dead (their ghosts can be seen during Weed's battle against Hougen) as well as Hakurou missing a paw.

That said, imho Ben regaining his vision after getting hit in the head with Mukonga's Geki Sentsuuhi Battouga, an attack that works by destroying the internal body tissue of the opponent, and the only explanation given being "some people have gone blind from Mukonga's attack, but since Ben was blind to begin with it instead caused his eyes to heal" is contrived and utterly nonsensical even by Ginga standards.

Sketch-Shepherd

Post by Sketch-Shepherd »

Ughhh yeah, I remember reading about those subtle call-backs to the wolf arc on Tumblr, but seriously... the thing with Ben's cured blindness being completely unaddressed sounds like retconning to me as well.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Sketch-Shepherd wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:39 am Ughhh yeah, I remember reading about those subtle call-backs to the wolf arc on Tumblr, but seriously... the thing with Ben's cured blindness being completely unaddressed sounds like retconning to me as well.
The problem with even bringing up the fact that Ben regained his vision after the battle against Akakabuto is that it would require the wolf arc to be brought up in more detail than vague call-backs, and Yoshi obviously doesn't want to do that.

Also, imho it's not really a retcon - Ben is so old he's not even sane anymore by GDW (a detail which is subject to a few retcons in GDW itself, but that's a whole other can of worms). It's perfectly reasonable for him to have lost his eyesight due to age at this point, regardless of whether or not his poison-induced blindness was cured or not.

Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Shout out to the guys who've posted all the information about Yoshihiro's struggles with his publishers - I genuinely didn't know that he'd been pressured into creating the wolf arc. That explains why it feels significantly out of place in the ​manga. For the record, I'm not saying that the wolf arc is bad, I adore it personally, what I am saying is that I am aware of it feeling like a different story entirely after the defeat of Akakabuto - a kind of shift from action/adventure to fantasy manga.
Anyway, I'm digressing... my question is; what happened with Benizakura's fur colouring in the anime? When Wilson is telling the story of Umibozu, his fur colouring appears like this;
Yet as an adult, his light underbelly and upper leg markings are replaced by a darker brown and the same goes for his eye patches;
I know that some puppies' fur colouration seems to darken with age, but this seems like an odd transformation. Is this just reference to how he looked in the manga?
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I assume it's simply a mistake and they used his manga coloration purely by accident.

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

It's perfectly normal for dogs to change colors after growing up. It usually goes from dark to lighter, but can be either way.Markings also appear and dissapear. This is yet another thing Yoshi has done a good job on.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Kaiken wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:16 pm It's perfectly normal for dogs to change colors after growing up. It usually goes from dark to lighter, but can be either way.Markings also appear and dissapear. This is yet another thing Yoshi has done a good job on.
Yoshi (presumably) had nothing to do with Benizakura's coloring in the anime. In the manga he's always had the same color and markings regardless of age.

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Digsu wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:18 pm
Kaiken wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:16 pm It's perfectly normal for dogs to change colors after growing up. It usually goes from dark to lighter, but can be either way.Markings also appear and dissapear. This is yet another thing Yoshi has done a good job on.
Yoshi (presumably) had nothing to do with Benizakura's coloring in the anime. In the manga he's always had the same color and markings regardless of age.
Oof, he did? Maybe animators thought of fixing that?
Favorites:
Flanoir
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flanoir »

It's probably just a 'mistake' due to his manga colour.
I don't think Yoshi even considers this kind of stuff. German Shepherds would be a most notable example of markings changing as a puppy grows, yet his GSDs don't change at all.
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

I probably missed that one but who is Aka?
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Flanoir
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flanoir »

Raki wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:37 pm I probably missed that one but who is Aka?
He is one of Gohei's hunting dogs, killed by Akakabuto. He is often believed to be Riki's son, but I can't remember whether it was confirmed or not.
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Flanoir wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:42 pm
Raki wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:37 pm I probably missed that one but who is Aka?
He is one of Gohei's hunting dogs, killed by Akakabuto. He is often believed to be Riki's son, but I can't remember whether it was confirmed or not.
In Meteor Gin it's said that he's Riki's son but not Fuji's

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”