Favorite Character Designs?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Favorite Character Designs?

Post by Wolpard »

I've always been a fan of the designs in Takahashi's work, and I think it's one of the things that draws me toward Ginga the most. It's just got a very distinct art style and there's some wild and crazy elements to it that just makes it fun.

What are some of your favorite character designs in Ginga and in other Takahashi works??

Some of my personal favorites:

George
George is absolutely one of the first characters that comes to mind when I think of my favorite designs. He makes me think of the dog version of a very ripped, strong dude with long, flowing locks. He's just such a good looking character. I think if I saw a really buff, snow-white Saluki/Great Dane mix with scars I would think he was some sort of ancient god. I dunno.

Hyakkiga
It's the armor. It's definitely the armor. He just looks so freaking cool and I'm kinda sad he was only around for a short bit (even if I'm not a huge fan of the wolf arc).

Aram
Oof, that upper jaw. I know RedBull had the same thing going on, but Aram also has the cool face markings and the extra scars/cropped ears. He looks so menacing; a dog you don't want to mess with and I think it fits him perfectly.

Bon
Eyeliner markings??? Yes please. I also really love his unique facial structure in comparison to other similar breeds (such as German shepherds). I know Blanca and Matheus also have a face like this but I just like Bon's eyeliner a bit more.

Toube
I REALLY love Ginga's Tosas. Benizakura was my second choice for favorite Tosa design but something about Toube speaks to me even if he's more minor. It's almost certainly his harness, something about it just makes him look cool. His missing eye also adds to his design once he loses it.

Kurojaki
Of course, everyone's favorite mohawk-having, scythe-weilding, spotty cannibal ninja. IDK, just the combo of him having a mohawk, his dark brown fur with his spots and black markings just make him so cool. Not to mention his scar when he loses his eye! I love Tesshin more as a character but Kurojaki takes the cake for design.

Anyway, there's my contribution. Pls tell me what designs you like and why! I love talking about character designs.
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Re: Favorite Character Designs?

Post by Gingastar »

Bon:

Kenshin:

Yamabiko:

Orion, Sirius, AND Rigel

Bella:

Kurojaki (manga only)
(sorry Wolp, I'm stealing your picture xD)

--

I'm positive there's more so I'll update later xD
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Avatar by Kasi | Banner by Sandatora
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Riki (anime and manga) - all those scars on that heroic display. Very cool~
Kyoshiro (early gdw ofc but his anime self is super cool as well) - although the scars are overkill, its... overcool
George - Mostly his first appearance chapter. calm and cool eyes, said to be as strong or stronger than ben, but fabulous? nicceee
Jerome (mostly in the anime. sometimes in the manga..) - Love the angry eyebrows and forever tears XD
John (all his forms and alternations look nice) - john is just cool. always. all the gsd look nice in their coat-looking fur LOL
Most of the main Kais, but Kagetora (anime) and Shigure (manga) takes the cake - theyre just so cool looking! all kais but these two mostly.
Bon - those eyelashes are yesss. and with his mature eyes and side head fluff that gsd have, even nicer <3

Okay, I'll stop spamming pics now LOL just wanted to show their beauty. I shall continue the list though!:
-Tesshin and Kurojaki - the special kogas just look plain cool. what can i say? spotted + mohawks = yes
-Kisaragi and his bros... minus Minazuki (sorry bro) - black is already cool but the two brothers' mask markings are cool
-Jerome's subordinate, Heuler - his anime self. just the coolest, long eared character in ginga to me o3o

Guilty Liking:
-Akame in GNG's anime cause his eyes are so chill~
-As much as Smith is just ok to me, his design is pretty cool honestly.
-Yamabiko ... I've never really found something interesting about him but dang he looks cool as an adult

Sorry if the post is too long -w-; wish I could control pic sizes.

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Since a lot of more major characters whose designs I like have been mentioned already, I'mma mention some more minor ones instead :EXCITE:

Batto - His design manages to be both simple and intimidating at the same time, which makes it a bit of a letdown that the manga never actually shows him fighting. Huge props to the anime for showing that he can be just as menacing as he looks.

Mirko - The fact that he turned out to be a bit character who showed up in like four panels before his offscreen demise is borderline criminal because look at him.

Koga Elder (anime) - Possibly an unpopular opinion but I really like the anime version of the Elder in all his fluffy, eyebrow-y glory, and it's officially my headcanon that this really is what he'd look like if he hadn't been nearly burnt to death in his youth.

Leo - Just look at that 'stache, man :OUT:

Rikiya's subordinates - Why don't they even have names, they look awesome (though the fluffy one with pretty eyes is my personal fave).
And finally some random nameless dogs whose designs are way too good for random background fillers (we really should have a topic where we can adopt nameless background dogs as OCs)

Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

All these cool designs! :P4:

I should have also included the Kais, though I personally prefer the manga versions better design-wise for all of them. And I'm glad we're getting some minor character love. Some background/minor character just look so cool to only be minor.
Digsu wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 am And finally some random nameless dogs whose designs are way too good for random background fillers (we really should have a topic where we can adopt nameless background dogs as OCs)

Where's this guy from??? My memory is failing me. I love him....
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Wolpard wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:35 pm All these cool designs! :P4:

I should have also included the Kais, though I personally prefer the manga versions better design-wise for all of them. And I'm glad we're getting some minor character love. Some background/minor character just look so cool to only be minor.
Digsu wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 am And finally some random nameless dogs whose designs are way too good for random background fillers (we really should have a topic where we can adopt nameless background dogs as OCs)

Where's this guy from??? My memory is failing me. I love him....
It's from the beginning of GNG, where Daisuke is explaining why brindle Akitas are so awesome.

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Digsu wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 am Image
OMG Thank you for showing this one cause I remember really liking his design XD!

And for reminding me of Batto. Super cool

I also love Dandy Bill from Yamato. Such a handsome design *o* he didnt deserve to die.

ImageImage
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Tesshin definitely gets my first vote - he has a beautifully striking design that I find very befitting of his character as a ninja dog.
Masamune Kurohabaki. I'll never shy away from admitting that when I first saw Masamune I did a double-take because of how ridiculous I thought he looked... but his appearance really grew on me. Now I actually find him rather handsome.
Gama. Look at this delectably evil ninja warlord!
Sniper (GDW). Murder S looks like something straight out of Resident Evil. Imagine how terrifying it would be walking to your car alone at night and running into this:
Others: Gaia, Thousand Dragon, Kagetora (anime), Jerome, Ron (Lonely Ron). I don't want to overload the thread with too many pictures. Also, there is no smiley of Lonely Ron.
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker »

My top favourite babe:

Riki:

Kenshin:

Ryo&Ryu:

Harutora & Shigure:

Liger:

Billy:

Miu:

Mirko:

All dem random doggos:
ImageImage
Image Image
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
4townie
Mentor
Mentor

Post by 4townie »

Harutora
I adore this guy's design! It is just beautiful :heart:

Bon
I've always loved his eyeliner markings.

Ben

Kai bros

Izou (Manga + Anime

Rossi

Heuler

Rocca

Sniper (Both GNG + GDW)

Lector and Thunder
💜✨Ginga Board's #1 Matthew Lillard Simp✨💜
Silver Arrow
Recruit
Recruit