How do you keep up with Ginga?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

How do you keep up with Ginga?

Post by Wolpard »

I know there's more available in Finnish to those Finnish users here, but for those who don't speak Japanese or Finnish, how do you keep up with Ginga? Obviously not everything is translated to English right now, and there's gaps in the timeline that haven't been translated yet which cause people to skip large pieces of stories (End of GDW Hougen arc, Hybrid arc, end of GDW:O, etc.). No pressure on translators of course, because I'm well aware how much time it takes to translate, having done some minor translating myself. :p

So if you can only read Ginga in English, how do you personally keep up? Do you read summaries? Use the wiki? Or do you just continue on to the next part thats translated without worrying too much and hope you'll understand everything?
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Re: How do you keep up with Ginga?

Post by Dragon »

A combo of all three of those things after finding the forum XD I also look at the japanese sometimes just to look at the pictures. I practically feel like Ive already read the whole thing despite the holes there are for English readers.

ImageImage
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Tends to be a 50/50 method between reading character profiles on GingaWiki and following ongoing translations on Ginga Board. The GingaWiki pages tend to have a lot of information but are sometimes poorly edited, whereas, Ginga Board really only has snippets but it is much more accurate.
Last edited by Shining Sirius on Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flanoir
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flanoir »

Ten years back we basically had little translated material. I can only think of the wikis, translated snippets, a bunch of chapters, and blogs posting pics of the then ongoing GDWO series with everyone trying to understand what was going on, with occasional summaries from members more fluent in Japanese. Which still is the case but we also have... meatier stuff now.
In fact the most contact I had with the series was through poor anime subs on Youtube. Nowadays it's mostly about translated volumes thanks to the community, just goes to show how much it got better! We are still missing good chunks but most of Ginga is available in English now.
The Finnish translations also helped getting some bits of missing information.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Yeah I definitely remember back in the day when the English speaking fandom mainly just had anime subs on youtube. :p I know when I was a small child I barely knew what happened in the manga and just took other people in the fandom's word for things because I couldn't read any of it myself.
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

I tend to keep up with Ginga by going into this board every day. Sometimes I check into Ginga Wiki to see more info or see if there's anything new. Now I keep up with GDN with these ideas to get updates on it. I also look into Silver Fang Reader.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Definitely through this board and of course, Fanta Scans. Amazing work done there!
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”