GDW General Questions Thread

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: GDW General Questions Thread

Post by Atha »

Smith wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:43 pm Feels like a waste of Teru since he had so much development during his introduction and although the anime has salty reviews, his va done a great job when he was mourning his father.
Agreed, and I wish Taabo had gotten as much of a development and screentime to make the readers care more about him when he had to be saved by such a veteran character.
icon by azzai
Marchosias
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Marchosias »

Where did Sasuke run off to after episode one of the anime
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

Smith wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:57 pm Where did Sasuke run off to after episode one of the anime
At the end of episode one Sasuke mentions that he is going to go and find his owners. In the anime Sasuke does not find his owners, as he claims in episode 19 when he shows up again, and also says that he wished to join the Ohu Army but happened to end up with Hougen's army instead, who had since taken over Gajou, if I'm not mistaken.
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Avatar by Kasi | Kin banner by Sandatora
Marchosias
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Marchosias »

Gingastar wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:04 am
Smith wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:57 pm Where did Sasuke run off to after episode one of the anime
At the end of episode one Sasuke mentions that he is going to go and find his owners. In the anime Sasuke does not find his owners, as he claims in episode 19 when he shows up again, and also says that he wished to join the Ohu Army but happened to end up with Hougen's army instead, who had since taken over Gajou, if I'm not mistaken.
oh ok, forgot about that
Shiruba
Legend
Legend

Post by Shiruba »

What exactly killed Teru's father? I know he kinda had his throat slit a little and his jaw broken but other dogs have lived through much worse, so i never understood why he actually died?
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Shiruba wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:42 am What exactly killed Teru's father? I know he kinda had his throat slit a little and his jaw broken but other dogs have lived through much worse, so i never understood why he actually died?
I always assumed he couldn't breathe after having his muzzle broken and just choked to death. That said the severity of injuries tends to be all over the place in Ginga, which leads to some dogs dying of a slit throat while others can survive anything short of the heat death of the universe, so he might have simply succumbed to his injuries because the plot demanded it.

Marchosias
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Marchosias »

Is weeds anime counterpart different to his manga version
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Smith wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:17 am Is weeds anime counterpart different to his manga version
A bit. Where it start to become different is when Jerome is exiled, but then it becomes a bit similar again once Hougen is on the run alone.
Some differences if you don't mind spoilers:
-Some of the weird humor in the manga are cut from the anime [GB's and Sasuke's random fights]
-Mel's mom, George, Ron, or Sniper aren't featured in the anime
-Stone is killed early in the manga by Sniper but lives longer in the anime
-Tokimune saves Weed from Kaibutsu and dies a heroic death in the anime, while in the manga, he just gets shot in the head in front of Weed
-Gin stays a prisoner for most of the anime, while in the manga, he escapes and is assumed dead pretty early. When he finally comes out of healing, in the manga, he convinces all of Hougen's generals to join his side by words, compared to the anime where Weed makes squads take out each general
-Speaking of generals, one of the general's get Sniper's metal legs in the anime, but doesn't have them in the manga
-When Genba becomes brain-dead, he's violent in the anime but pees himself in the manga and licks it ;;
-Sasuke comes back to Weed early in the manga but is one of Hougen's minions later in the anime
-Hook and Reika are sent off early in the anime, but in the manga, they stay and fight for most of the traveling
-Ben is very senile in the manga, to the point of being mute sometimes and zoning out, but is more of the comedic-oldman character in the anime
-Tesshin is hateful to the Ouu army at first in the manga (because of a lie Sniper tells him) but in the anime, says he has to stay with the ninjas for responsibility reasons
-Speaking of the ninjas, the elder is much different looking in the anime than in the manga
-Teru gets a nickname 'Kouta' in the manga, but this never happens in the anime
-Ken and Kagetora are enemies in the beginning of the manga but forgives each other later, while in the anime, they're friends from the start
-Humans are much more intruding in the manga than the anime, and this is a big one. In the anime: Weed is never in Daisuke's care after being shot by hunters, Daisuke never meddles in the situation with Kaibutsu, Daisuke never stops Genba from killing Weed with a helicopter, there isn't a man trying to kill Hougen for revenge, and humans don't BLOW UP Gajou
-Hougen dies by lightning in the anime, but is shot in the head in the manga
-When Jerome is exiled in the anime, he gets a pack of four dogs as his new comrades
-While Jerome does protect Weed in the river scene identically in both version, he 'dies' in the anime but basically passes out in the manga, taken to Daisuke to be treated...of course
-Jerome saves Reika when she sacrificed herself into the water in the anime, but George saves her in the manga
-The whole scene with Kyoshiro betrayed Ouu to join Hougen's side for a reason is different, but I'm not sure what his motives were in the manga o--o; in the anime, it was to save Gin

Hopefully I got a good chunk of the differences here. Sorry if I missed any! Hope this helps :kyoushiro:

edit: -facepalm- You must have been talking about Weed himself... aaaa I feel stupid LOL
I think he's a bit more okay with killing in the manga. He purposely tries aiming to kill Hougen and Sniper, thinking 'revenge for dad' I think. Then later he does let Sniper dies, but also gives him a respectful howl afterwards. In the manga, he's skilled at everything really fast. If you saw the anime, remember how he wasn't good at fighting at first? And learning the Battouga took him a few tries? Well, in the manga, it takes him just one try to do the Battouga and in the beginning, he flips Ken over easily. It's ridiculous, honestly.

ImageImage
Marchosias
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Marchosias »

Okami wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:47 am
Smith wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:17 am Is weeds anime counterpart different to his manga version
A bit. Where it start to become different is when Jerome is exiled, but then it becomes a bit similar again once Hougen is on the run alone.
Some differences if you don't mind spoilers:
-Some of the weird humor in the manga are cut from the anime [GB's and Sasuke's random fights]
-Mel's mom, George, Ron, or Sniper aren't featured in the anime
-Stone is killed early in the manga by Sniper but lives longer in the anime
-Tokimune saves Weed from Kaibutsu and dies a heroic death in the anime, while in the manga, he just gets shot in the head in front of Weed
-Gin stays a prisoner for most of the anime, while in the manga, he escapes and is assumed dead pretty early. When he finally comes out of healing, in the manga, he convinces all of Hougen's generals to join his side by words, compared to the anime where Weed makes squads take out each general
-Speaking of generals, one of the general's get Sniper's metal legs in the anime, but doesn't have them in the manga
-When Genba becomes brain-dead, he's violent in the anime but pees himself in the manga and licks it ;;
-Sasuke comes back to Weed early in the manga but is one of Hougen's minions later in the anime
-Hook and Reika are sent off early in the anime, but in the manga, they stay and fight for most of the traveling
-Ben is very senile in the manga, to the point of being mute sometimes and zoning out, but is more of the comedic-oldman character in the anime
-Tesshin is hateful to the Ouu army at first in the manga (because of a lie Sniper tells him) but in the anime, says he has to stay with the ninjas for responsibility reasons
-Speaking of the ninjas, the elder is much different looking in the anime than in the manga
-Teru gets a nickname 'Kouta' in the manga, but this never happens in the anime
-Ken and Kagetora are enemies in the beginning of the manga but forgives each other later, while in the anime, they're friends from the start
-Humans are much more intruding in the manga than the anime, and this is a big one. In the anime: Weed is never in Daisuke's care after being shot by hunters, Daisuke never meddles in the situation with Kaibutsu, Daisuke never stops Genba from killing Weed with a helicopter, there isn't a man trying to kill Hougen for revenge, and humans don't BLOW UP Gajou
-Hougen dies by lightning in the anime, but is shot in the head in the manga
-When Jerome is exiled in the anime, he gets a pack of four dogs as his new comrades
-While Jerome does protect Weed in the river scene identically in both version, he 'dies' in the anime but basically passes out in the manga, taken to Daisuke to be treated...of course
-Jerome saves Reika when she sacrificed herself into the water in the anime, but George saves her in the manga
-The whole scene with Kyoshiro betrayed Ouu to join Hougen's side for a reason is different, but I'm not sure what his motives were in the manga o--o; in the anime, it was to save Gin

Hopefully I got a good chunk of the differences here. Sorry if I missed any! Hope this helps :kyoushiro:

edit: -facepalm- You must have been talking about Weed himself... aaaa I feel stupid LOL
I think he's a bit more okay with killing in the manga. He purposely tries aiming to kill Hougen and Sniper, thinking 'revenge for dad' I think. Then later he does let Sniper dies, but also gives him a respectful howl afterwards. In the manga, he's skilled at everything really fast. If you saw the anime, remember how he wasn't good at fighting at first? And learning the Battouga took him a few tries? Well, in the manga, it takes him just one try to do the Battouga and in the beginning, he flips Ken over easily. It's ridiculous, honestly.
thanks for all that Okami, it really helps clear up the differences
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Thanks Okami.

Wow, despite all the flaws in the anime, it does a lot of BETTER things than the manga.
icon by azzai
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

No problem you guys!

I 100% agree with you, Atha. I like to view the anime as a the revised version in lots of ways. I know lots want the manga to anime to be precise and lots make fun of the GDW anime, but I'm happy with their changes. I just wish the animators cared as much as the people who fixed the plot. Imagine if the anime was animated by the guy who made episode 5 and the last episode. It'd be so great!

ImageImage
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

I agree the anime "fixed" a lot of things. Though it "downgraded" a couple of things as well, imo, like the Elder's design and keeping Gin too long out of commission.
icon by azzai
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Atha wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:42 am I agree the anime "fixed" a lot of things. Though it "downgraded" a couple of things as well, imo, like the Elder's design and keeping Gin too long out of commission.
Very good point. I didn't like that the Elder wasn't burned like he should have been. I mean .. he jumped into the fire and lived. He's got to be burned almost to a crisp, not beautiful looking LOL And it did annoy me that Gin stayed hurt for so long and just kept telling everyone to kill him or don't worry. However, since I don't care too deeply about Gin, I don't mind it tooooo much I guess. :masamune:

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Okami wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:59 am
Atha wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:42 am I agree the anime "fixed" a lot of things. Though it "downgraded" a couple of things as well, imo, like the Elder's design and keeping Gin too long out of commission.
Very good point. I didn't like that the Elder wasn't burned like he should have been. I mean .. he jumped into the fire and lived. He's got to be burned almost to a crisp, not beautiful looking LOL And it did annoy me that Gin stayed hurt for so long and just kept telling everyone to kill him or don't worry. However, since I don't care too deeply about Gin, I don't mind it tooooo much I guess. :masamune:
Keep in mind, the Iga/Koga war isn't mentioned once in the anime, and having a furless, scarred dog showing up for like two scenes without anyone mentioning it would probably be pretty confusing to viewers not familiar with the manga, similar to how Bemu's appearance was never commented on in the GNG anime.

Actually, for all we know, the Iga/Koga war never even happened in the GDW anime universe, judging by this.

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Digsu wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 am
Keep in mind, the Iga/Koga war isn't mentioned once in the anime, and having a furless, scarred dog showing up for like two scenes without anyone mentioning it would probably be pretty confusing to viewers not familiar with the manga, similar to how Bemu's appearance was never commented on in the GNG anime.

Actually, for all we know, the Iga/Koga war never even happened in the GDW anime universe, judging by this.

Oh wow I forgot about that... that is something to keep in mind. Strange change. They really couldn't just say the truth? Doesn't sound difficult. "My father and his army were accepted into the Ouu army but he chose to die in the fire and leave me behind instead. The elder was the only one who survived afterwards. After the collapse of paradise, I decided to go back home"
or something

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Okami wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:45 pm
Digsu wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 am

Oh wow I forgot about that... that is something to keep in mind. Strange change. They really couldn't just say the truth? Doesn't sound difficult. "My father and his army were accepted into the Ouu army but he chose to die in the fire and leave me behind instead. The elder was the only one who survived afterwards. After the collapse of paradise, I decided to go back home"
or something
I assume the reason they decided to just completely write around it was simply because they didn't have enough time/budget to address the war, and not mentioning it at all was better than hastily explaining it and raising more questions than it would have answered.

Shiruba
Legend
Legend

Post by Shiruba »

Can anyone translate what it says on John's grave?
johnGDW.jpg
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Shiruba wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:47 pm Can anyone translate what it says on John's grave?
johnGDW.jpg
It says "Namu Amida Butsu", a phrase used in some branches of Buddhism.

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Shiruba wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:47 pm Can anyone translate what it says on John's grave?
johnGDW.jpg
南無阿弥陀仏
According to romajidesu, "I sincerely believe in Amitabha; Lord have mercy on me".

ImageImage
Crystal
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Crystal »

Digsu wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 am Keep in mind, the Iga/Koga war isn't mentioned once in the anime, and having a furless, scarred dog showing up for like two scenes without anyone mentioning it would probably be pretty confusing to viewers not familiar with the manga, similar to how Bemu's appearance was never commented on in the GNG anime.

I've seen the GDW anime countless times and never caught this, wow! Can anyone confirm that this indeed what Tesshin said in the anime (ie; someone who knows Japanese better than me lmao)? I'm sure it is, but I just want to make sure given it's only natural for there to be mistranslated phrases when translating anything. Not that I really see the anime as canon specifically. I'm just curious.

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”