Rigel headcanons

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion.
Sketch-Shepherd

Rigel headcanons

Post by Sketch-Shepherd »

Who wants to share some of their theories or headcanons as to why Rigel is black unlike anyone in his family? I remember there was a Tumblr post that went on a long-winded Mendelian genetics analysis on why Rigel's black fur isn't completely impossible, but there are certainly simpler explanations we can come up with.

For one thing, for a long time I headcanoned Rigel had melanism/pseudomelanism. In my universe he's redesigned as an all black dog.

https://sketch-shepherd.tumblr.com/post ... characters

Anyone else wanna share their own headcanons or fan depictions of Rigel?
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Re: Rigel headcanons

Post by Wolpard »

Do Japanese line Akitas even come in black? I don't think I've ever seen it, only in American line Akitas... being part Kishu doesn't help since they obviously don't come in black either. I guess melanism makes the most sense aside from his white underbelly lmfao. Your redesign is cute!

Though honestly I don't think Yoshi knows or cares about how dog genes work, Ken was born with cropped ears after all.
Flanoir
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flanoir »

Few media care about dog genetics though to be fair, or even just animal genetics overall. So to me Rigel is just... cool artistic licence?

I think Akita colour genetics is not all worked out though? A few years back researchers discovered that some brindle Japanese Akitas tested positive for dominant black - contrary to brindle in other breeds - and thought that other potentially breed specific genes combined to it produced brindle and prevented the production of dominant black dogs.
Such genes are a bit complicated imo, like the general gist of how they work is known but when they are yet to be located in the genome, they may still have their share of surprises
Sketch-Shepherd

Wolpard wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:59 am Do Japanese line Akitas even come in black? I don't think I've ever seen it, only in American line Akitas... being part Kishu doesn't help since they obviously don't come in black either. I guess melanism makes the most sense aside from his white underbelly lmfao. Your redesign is cute!

Though honestly I don't think Yoshi knows or cares about how dog genes work, Ken was born with cropped ears after all.
Yeah, YT clearly doesn't. XD I guess he just wanted to have a dog that stands out, but in that case why not make one of Weed's pups white or something? (like Sirius is in my headcanon)

Thanks, glad you like my redesign! Personally I always did thing Rigel was rather cute with his black color, even if it is impractical. XD That's why I'm sticking with my melanistic Rigel AU for now.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I assume he's meant to be a very dark brindle, like this dog.

Though obviously there's still some artistic license in play, as he probably shouldn't have as much white on him as he does.

Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Rigel is actually just an overgrown Shiba

the stork cant tell the difference between Shibas and Akitas at puppy stage and sometimes gets them mixed up. Rigel was turning out small so Weed pumped him with super growth hormones. This is very canon.

Sketch-Shepherd

Wolpard wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:14 am Rigel is actually just an overgrown Shiba

the stork cant tell the difference between Shibas and Akitas at puppy stage and sometimes gets them mixed up. Rigel was turning out small so Weed pumped him with super growth hormones. This is very canon.

This. This is probably my favorite so far.
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Here's a scandalous headcanon: In dogs and cats, a litter can contain puppies and kittens of multiple fathers, if the mother mates with more than one male.

While Weed was away, Koyuki had a fling with Izu. Rigel inherited his colors.
icon by azzai
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

Atha wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:18 am Here's a scandalous headcanon: In dogs and cats, a litter can contain puppies and kittens of multiple fathers, if the mother mates with more than one male.

While Weed was away, Koyuki had a fling with Izu. Rigel inherited his colors.
I LOVE THIS THEORY!!

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Or, since they're mostly kishu, maybe on either Koyuki's side, or Sakura's side have black and tan relatives (thanks to Astor who posted pic on discord):
Black and tan kishu

My guess is Sakura since she's a kishu mix. And just happaened to show up two gen later instead of in her own pups. XD
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Ameshibainu

Post by Ameshibainu »

Perhaps Sakura is part Husky and the genes for black and white skipped a generation and instead showed up in Rigel.

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion”