Ginga Peeves

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Re: Ginga Peeves

Post by Gingastar »

BIG Agree on the whole sexist thing. Y'all have more or less said what I would have. Cross telling Koyuki that "There are no strong females" though is the cherry on the bullshit sundae.

I also agree with what was said about the Ginga Merchandise. I was going to post this in the unpopular ginga opinion topic when I saw it being talked about here, so I'll add to it xD I really don't like merch that's just a copy paste of already existing (overused) images or vectors. The Ginga Coasters are a big example of how I feel about this, as well as the Pure Plastic Posters which are all just posters of existing images. I'm not saying these items aren't worth the money or anything, I'm sure they're all quality items to have, they just aren't for me :EXCITE:

Finally, I also agree with HR and the dogs fur. The akitas especially look like they're just... smooth skin and not fur.
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Banners by me and Sandatora!
Astor
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Astor »

Pumpkin Wolf wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:51 am
Tora wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:55 pm
Pumpkin Wolf wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:53 am

Oh, I know what you're talking about! German shepherds can be blue or liver colored instead of black. It's pretty rare, because there's a gene that causes it to get diluted. German shepherds are my favorite breed, I just thought it was interesting how he chose to portray her. I didn't even think that he could have meant for her to be a maskless blue and silver. Also it might be interesting to see a panda colored shepherd in the future?

Also, I saw a headcanon that Rigel was a black brindle, instead of just solid black, which is a headcanon that I think I'll start believing.
From his 25% Akita side, Rigel sure can be black brindle headcannon. Another headcannon is from the 66% Kishu side (Koyuki and Sakura) and those % of Sakura's mix, by being a black and tan Kishu
Black tan kishu
Black and tan Kishu
Pics borrowed from Nihon Ken Network's Discord in the Kishu channel ^^

Females are white
Most females are seen as white, it light coloured. Few exeptions are Fuji and Reika.
Fuji is a kishu? I knew Reika was, but... learn something new everyday, I suppose! XD
Fuji is an Akita and Reika is an Akita mix. Sakura and Koyuki are Kishu/Kishu mixes.
Fuji and Reika are just exceptions to the general ‘white female’ rule, regardless of breed. But I agree. I want a badass female red Akita character >:(
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Astor wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:28 am Fuji is an Akita and Reika is an Akita mix. Sakura and Koyuki are Kishu/Kishu mixes.
Fuji and Reika are just exceptions to the general ‘white female’ rule, regardless of breed. But I agree. I want a badass female red Akita character >:(
At this point, I would be grateful for ONE badass female character. I guess Cross and Lydia could be, but Yoshi did both of them dirty.
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker »

You guys pretty much sumed it up for me:
fantachan wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:32 am My biggest peeve of mine is that Yoshi doesn't respect the concept of "Show, don't tell" in his manga.
Now that I read TLW scanslations, it really becomes annoying.
Digsu wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:59 am Dog-human relations not being worth a damn
But absolutely no one seems to respect humans unless they need medical attention or other favors from them - pet dogs are willing to abandon their loving families at the drop of a hat to fight wars that have nothing to do with them.
This so much. it always irked me how all the dogs easily abandon their loving families without a second thought.
Also the Humans ex machina, especialy seen in GDWO and TLW. Our heroes are losing? Don't worry, humans to the rescue! Our heroes are wounded? Don't worry, humans to the rescue! UGH I wish thaey gave up this lazy plot device "medical attention human to the rescue" because it really breaks the mood of brave wild dogs story and did I mention it's super lazy writing?
Shining Sirius wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:15 pm Easy: The Sexism.
BIGGEST GINGA PEEVE OF ALL TIME
Seriously all the females pretty much exist to be some kind of plot devide and a driving point to some events, they hardly have their own characterization despite being caring mothers, crying girls and damsels in distress. Even Lydia pretty much happened to be so Jerome could get out of prison because she fell in love with him...

Repetative Akita designs
All main bearhound line is pretty much the same design in different color variations. How about a white male from the main line for a change, or creamy/golden colored one, or a bit different markings and stylisation? The only time they tried was Bella and she's a totaly minor character... And probably Jiromaru&his sibs but they are form some irrelevant gaiden.

The fact that mixbreeds look purebreed
I'm looking at you, Ken, George and Minnie...
Chutora's sons are pretty good tho.
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

I hate that all these humans in Ginga don't give a crap about vet bills and just save dogs like it's nothing LOL;; I don't even get why humans being lifesavers exist in GDW, when characters like Ben and Akame survives through hell in GNG and recovers in a split second with no scratches. Akame gets stabbed in the throat? No big deal. Ben gets crushed by rocks? No big deal. Smith injuries his leg falling into a river and falls down a waterfall? NO BIG DEAL, STARTS WALKING NEXT SCENE.
I'm completely whatever about this stuff in GNG and would prefer it than "random nice guy who happens to be a vet/have a vet in their family" coming along to save important-dog.

ImageImage
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

The toilet humour.

Okay, maybe toilet humour might be viewed differently in Japan? Regardless, it's just the lowest form of comedy. I just don't see how it's funny watching characters we've become emotionally involved in farting, shitting and pissing on each other. Yes, I'm mainly using the example of Sasuke urinating in GB's face (yes, I'm aware that dogs can pee themselves as a sign of submission) and then projectile defecating on him and Kyoushiro. What the fuck was that? :EMPTY:
Oh, and don't get me started on Orion's whole thing of "if I don't cry, I take a dump". Ugh... vile, disgusting boy. >:(

Granted, there are a few exceptions to this rule, such as the Russian war dogs peeing on the Ohu army who were dying of hunger and thirst. Obviously because this doesn't fall under humour - they were sadists who wanted to humiliate their hostages.
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Shining Sirius wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:44 pmOkay, maybe toilet humour might be viewed differently in Japan?
I'm actually pretty sure that it is. Toilet humor seem to be popular there, and even Japanese folklore has toilet humor (imo the most notorious example is tanuki).
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Admittedly a tiny peeve but a peeve nonetheless:

During the hybrids arc, Kotetsu got a scar over his left eye.

It's still there at the beginning of GDWO.

Then, when he reappears later on, he has a massive scar over his right eye.

I mean I guess it could have healed but his other pup scars are still there. If it was over the same eye you could at least excuse it as the old scar being under the new scar.

Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

YamaDora wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:30 pm
Shining Sirius wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:44 pmOkay, maybe toilet humour might be viewed differently in Japan?
I'm actually pretty sure that it is. Toilet humor seem to be popular there, and even Japanese folklore has toilet humor (imo the most notorious example is tanuki).
Toilet humor is pretty popular in Japan. It tends to be in the East. I don't mind it, but sometimes the jokes come out of nowhere with no context and that really bugs me. XD
GingaBoard's Resident Lloyd Fan
:belmond: :kurotora: :lloyd: :hyakkiga: My Twitch || My Twitter :george: :ken: :lydia: :unsai:

Moth-chan

Post by Moth-chan »

My pet peeves?

All the digs at Yoshi's style. Don't get me wrong GDW and GNG anime are rough. But I always found the manga art to be beautiful and I think he was going for an "ancient Japanese" style with his art.

I also am annoyed with all the hate towards Weed, I know people are still salty about Jerome but c'mon I honestly quite enjoy weed's soft side and willingness to forgive. I think forgiveness is a big thing this entire planet lacks nowadays.

I guess my nitpicks are more at the community... The series could use some work but for the most part I like it for what it is. My problem is killing off of characters who could've had a bit more potential (RIP Masashige).
Also idk seems to me like the characters are getting more deep at least so far of what I've read in GDWO.)
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Moth-chan wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:07 pm My pet peeves?

All the digs at Yoshi's style. Don't get me wrong GDW and GNG anime are rough. But I always found the manga art to be beautiful and I think he was going for an "ancient Japanese" style with his art.

I also am annoyed with all the hate towards Weed, I know people are still salty about Jerome but c'mon I honestly quite enjoy weed's soft side and willingness to forgive. I think forgiveness is a big thing this entire planet lacks nowadays.

I guess my nitpicks are more at the community... The series could use some work but for the most part I like it for what it is. My problem is killing off of characters who could've had a bit more potential (RIP Masashige).
Also idk seems to me like the characters are getting more deep at least so far of what I've read in GDWO.)
I definitely agree with you on the art style! I feel a lot of people in the community really like the art in GNG to early GDW but I know there's a lot of digs at some of the recent choices (Like Im not a fan of what happened to Rocket, but thats a common example). Most of the digs I see are from people who aren't into Ginga that are like "haha, look, dog pecks!" but I think even the overbearing chest muscles have a bit of charm to them and make the style stand out.

And the Weed stuff too. NGL I feel people are too hard on him. Same kinda goes for Sirius though he is far more extreme than Weed and I can understand it slightly more to get frustrated with his character.
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Yes, that's my peeve.
Troll Berserker wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:07 pm Ginga fan art/fan coloring peeve:
Red Bull's and Aram's mouth are NOT dry bones
It's flesh. UGH.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Hidetoshi is a doctor (his fields are apparently surgery, internal medicine, and pediatrics), not a vet, yet he's frequently shown caring for dogs.

Here's a Quora thread about why doctors and vets generally aren't interchangeable. Even if all the instances he had to care for the Ohu dogs fell under the "general medical knowledge" thing like stopping bleeding, I'd imagine that bringing wild dogs into a human clinic isn't the most sanitary thing to do.

Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

I guess he just transformed into a vet because Humans Ex Machina became a very important thing in later mangas xD
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Troll Berserker wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:49 pm I guess he just transformed into a vet because Humans Ex Machina became a very important thing in later mangas xD
Or over those years after Akakabuto's defeat till Weed arrives, he studied himself as a vet as well, at least the basics. XD
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Musica
Defender
Defender

Post by Musica »

The battle tactics of the Ohu army is lackluster and mostly a free for all leading to a lot of deaths. Sigh
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Musica wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:52 pm The battle tactics of the Ohu army is lackluster and mostly a free for all leading to a lot of deaths. Sigh
I think part of that is because the Ohu army has a habit of being lead by children. XD
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I hate the fact that Yoshi tries to shove the Ninja tactics down our throats with every manga like they're the only way of fighting that works and there's nothing new about them in any of the stories that wasn't done before.

I hate how much screen-time the old characters get over the new characters in Last Wars and Ginga Orion

The fact that the editors and writers keep forgetting about certain characters and plot points (Chibi the bear anyone? Changing and messing around with Tesshin's upbringing)

The call backs to events better than the ones in front of us (like what is the point of Akita Inu Shimpo? What did it not tells us that that we don't already know?)

The inconstant morals of war vs peace, in the end it always feels like the story chooses a side instead of letting us decide.

Calling Weed a bearhound even though he had no training as one and even before the Hybrid bear, they were calling him that.

Patronising Kurotora over the other Kai brothers, mainly Chutora (I just don't see what makes him better in GNG over his brothers)

Saying that family blood is the only reason a dog character is strong instead of having train to get their skills (Orion and Hakutaka being the biggest examples)

Of course the sexism, with being okay with Cross and Lydia but not with Koyuki or Bella

And also the fact that every dog villian they've had is just too similar to Hougen with killing their own allies and wanting to take over the country, they need better motives other than just that if you ask me.
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Gingaddict wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:31 pm The call backs to events better than the ones in front of us (like what is the point of Akita Inu Shimpo? What did it not tells us that that we don't already know?)
Keep in mind, the Akita Inu Shimpo is a newspaper for dog enthusiastics, not people who are into anime/manga. One issue just happened to be about GNG (presumably because it's a successful series by a mangaka from Akita that also stars Akita Inus), and the retelling of the final battle was there for the benefit of the readers of the newspaper who weren't familiar with Ginga. It wasn't supposed to tell us anything we don't already know.

edit: Okay turns out I was talking out of my ass, Akita Inu Shimpo isn't some dog newspaper, it was a special issue of the Akita Sakigake Shimpō newspaper. My point about it not being specifically aimed at Ginga fans still stands, though.

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Gingaddict wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:31 pm Calling Weed a bearhound even though he had no training as one and even before the Hybrid bear, they were calling him that.
I seriously hate it lol Like what's the point of the title bearhound if he never fought a bear until the worst arc, and then his next fight against one... he immediately wiped out xD
Just say akita (though hes suppose to be half kishu) blood

ImageImage

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”