GNG Multilanguage videos

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin
Findog
Potential
Potential

GNG Multilanguage videos

Post by Findog »

Here are my Multilanguage videos. Enjoy! ^^

I'll do more of this videos. Which scene would you like to see in a Multilanguage video?
Ginga forever! <3
Tora
Legend
Legend

Re: GNG Multilanguage videos

Post by Tora »

I am IN LOVE!
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Banaaniapina

Post by Banaaniapina »

It's so interesting to hear these scenes in different languages.
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

I think the Korean dub did the best job. Gin's Finnish voice actor sounds like he has 0 acting skills meanwhile.
icon by azzai
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Atha wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:07 pm I think the Korean dub did the best job. Gin's Finnish voice actor sounds like he has 0 acting skills meanwhile.
The Finnish dub of GNG was handled by a company (ironically) called Golden Voice, who dubbed a ton of cartoons around the late 80s-early 90s period, including but not limited to shows like Popeye, Captain N, and the Smurfs. Nowadays, they're infamous for their absolutely abysmal quality that's made them prime snark bait on the Internet - everything from the voice actors (of whom there apparently were like five - notice how all the Mutsu bros speak with the exact same voice) to the lip-synching to the scripts themselves were like straight out of a terrible fandub, with the main difference being that their dubs were actually sold on official VHS tapes and in some cases (like the Smurfs) were actually broadcast on television.

Fun fact: in the first video, when Gin is supposed to be saying "he just swallowed too much water", his voice actor very, very badly flubs his line and it instead basically comes out as "he-uh-he dur-he drank-uh-he just drank a bit too much water", yet for some godforsaken reason they couldn't be bothered to do another take and left it in.

The Finnish GNG dub is less a dub and more a glorious trainwreck.

Ian
Translator
Translator

Post by Ian »

I like how in the Thai version of Riki's death it sounds like you can hear someone shuffling papers.
Done.
Findog
Potential
Potential

Post by Findog »

Mako wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:24 am I like how in the Thai version of Riki's death it sounds like you can hear someone shuffling papers.
Yeah! XD
Ginga forever! <3
Densetsu No Kage
Legend
Legend

Post by Densetsu No Kage »

Very interesting to see all the different languages it was dubbed into. Norway's dub doesn't sound too bad, and Korea's ain't too bad either. Thank you Digsu for that hilarious information about the Finnish dubbing company.
https://imgur.com/q18FIqL
Member of the Ginga community since 2008
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

Digsu wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:33 pm
Atha wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:07 pm I think the Korean dub did the best job. Gin's Finnish voice actor sounds like he has 0 acting skills meanwhile.
The Finnish dub of GNG was handled by a company (ironically) called Golden Voice, who dubbed a ton of cartoons around the late 80s-early 90s period, including but not limited to shows like Popeye, Captain N, and the Smurfs. Nowadays, they're infamous for their absolutely abysmal quality that's made them prime snark bait on the Internet - everything from the voice actors (of whom there apparently were like five - notice how all the Mutsu bros speak with the exact same voice) to the lip-synching to the scripts themselves were like straight out of a terrible fandub, with the main difference being that their dubs were actually sold on official VHS tapes and in some cases (like the Smurfs) were actually broadcast on television.

Fun fact: in the first video, when Gin is supposed to be saying "he just swallowed too much water", his voice actor very, very badly flubs his line and it instead basically comes out as "he-uh-he dur-he drank-uh-he just drank a bit too much water", yet for some godforsaken reason they couldn't be bothered to do another take and left it in.

The Finnish GNG dub is less a dub and more a glorious trainwreck.
Hahaha... not exactly. The Finnish Dub is more like a definition of a Broken Base (tvtropes) and has received mixed reviews since the Uncut version came in 2003. The dub was made by Golden Voice Oy in 1989, which was the same year as the company was founded. The quality of their dubs can't be fully said because opinions vary, even though some of them are quite good actually (Super Mario Bros, Dennis the Menace, Popeye, Denver the Last dinosaur) Ginga is a more middling return, but the reason why the acting sounds a bit clumsy is due to the company having limited resources at the time, which meant that scenes had to be done in 1 take with these 4 actors, so they had to restrain themselves a bit. It was namely an independent company, not a major studio that usually dubbed films like Disney dubs.

It seems like the project was somewhat troubled before this too. The distributor said in an interview in that he bought the rights from Sweden in 1986 but the release wasn't until 1989, which probably means that they had trouble to get it dubbed, possibly due to it's violent content.

Haters are mostly (not always) fans who never saw the Finnish dub in their childhood, while lovers are those who did. However some of the fans who grew up watching the Uncut and undubbed version have also seen it and saying it's not really bad, and being pleasantly surprised by it.

Gins Finnish voice actor has more skill than it seems on those clips. He was in fact a 50 year old man with naturally a deep baritone voice. As Gin he has a Raspy but relatively youthful sounding voice. His actor named Pertti Nieminen (1939-2007) also voices other characters like Moss, and sounds nothing alike with Gin.

The company later had 9 actors, and 5 of them (every 4 actor from Ginga and 1 new one) later actually went on to collaborate on Disney's Ducktales with the company named Tuotantotalo Werne, and the result was fabulous. The series is remembered as one of the best dubbed Disney programs in Finland. The actors from Golden Voice play both main characters and additional voices. Gins voice actor Pertti Nieminen plays many including Gyro Gearloose and Bankjob Beagle. The other actors play others like Webby, Duckward the Butler, Mrs. Beakley, Bugle and The mother of Beagle Boys among others etc. They also appear on some Disney films too. I actually have couple of VHS of these and it's a pleasure to hear their voices there.

Digsu also mentions about bad dialogue, it's not really bad. It has couple of weirdnesses in it but they appear on the Swedish, Norwegian and Danish ones too, since they all (including the Finnish one) and the flaws are there too. I speak Norwegian and Swedish in addition to Finnish and English so i know this. The dialogue is otherwise pretty good, but due to the grammatic differences it affects the lip synching occasionally but it's not a big problem for many fans. I hope this explained something. Information can be found on wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Voice_Oy :DD

P.s i was introduced to Ginga via the rare Norwegian VHS and i've still got it
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

WolfKing wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:20 pm Hahaha... not exactly. The Finnish Dub is more like a definition of a Broken Base (tvtropes) and has received mixed reviews since the Uncut version came in 2003. The dub was made by Golden Voice Oy in 1989, which was the same year as the company was founded. The quality of their dubs can't be fully said because opinions vary, even though some of them are quite good actually (Super Mario Bros, Dennis the Menace, Popeye, Denver the Last dinosaur) Ginga is a more middling return, but the reason why the acting sounds a bit clumsy is due to the company having limited resources at the time, which meant that scenes had to be done in 1 take with these 4 actors, so they had to restrain themselves a bit. It was namely an independent company, not a major studio that usually dubbed films like Disney dubs.

It seems like the project was somewhat troubled before this too. The distributor said in an interview in that he bought the rights from Sweden in 1986 but the release wasn't until 1989, which probably means that they had trouble to get it dubbed, possibly due to it's violent content.

Haters are mostly (not always) fans who never saw the Finnish dub in their childhood, while lovers are those who did. However some of the fans who grew up watching the Uncut and undubbed version have also seen it and saying it's not really bad, and being pleasantly surprised by it.
I mean... that still doesn't mean it's not bad. It just gives a context for why it's bad. It's still got problems with lip-synching, scripts (regardless of whether they were carryovers from the Swedish dub or not, that's still an issue), characters changing names and voices between VHS tapes, bizarre casting choices (seriously, why is Terry a woman in the dub?), haphazard cuts that make the story borderline incomprehensible at times (again, just because it came from the Swedish dub doesn't mean it's not a huge minus), clearly messed up lines being included in the final product, and the acting itself being very subpar. A dub that contains all of these throughout the entire work is just objectively not good, no matter what caused them.

If they're actually good actors who were just holding back, good for them! But that still doesn't change the fact that their acting in the Finnish GNG dub is very wooden.

Also, frankly, the third paragraph makes it sound like most of the people who like the Finnish dub do so because of nostalgia.

WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

Digsu wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:20 am
WolfKing wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:20 pm Hahaha... not exactly. The Finnish Dub is more like a definition of a Broken Base (tvtropes) and has received mixed reviews since the Uncut version came in 2003. The dub was made by Golden Voice Oy in 1989, which was the same year as the company was founded. The quality of their dubs can't be fully said because opinions vary, even though some of them are quite good actually (Super Mario Bros, Dennis the Menace, Popeye, Denver the Last dinosaur) Ginga is a more middling return, but the reason why the acting sounds a bit clumsy is due to the company having limited resources at the time, which meant that scenes had to be done in 1 take with these 4 actors, so they had to restrain themselves a bit. It was namely an independent company, not a major studio that usually dubbed films like Disney dubs.

I mean... that still doesn't mean it's not bad. It just gives a context for why it's bad. It's still got problems with lip-synching, scripts (regardless of whether they were carryovers from the Swedish dub or not, that's still an issue), characters changing names and voices between VHS tapes, bizarre casting choices (seriously, why is Terry a woman in the dub?), haphazard cuts that make the story borderline incomprehensible at times (again, just because it came from the Swedish dub doesn't mean it's not a huge minus), clearly messed up lines being included in the final product, and the acting itself being very subpar. A dub that contains all of these throughout the entire work is just objectively not good, no matter what caused them.

If they're actually good actors who were just holding back, good for them! But that still doesn't change the fact that their acting in the Finnish GNG dub is very wooden.

Also, frankly, the third paragraph makes it sound like most of the people who like the Finnish dub do so because of nostalgia.
Well yeah, you got a point there. Sorry if i was rude because it wasn't the meaning, and yes i admit that the acting is a little wooden. I also didn't mean to blame anyone or anything for it, i just decided to share what i know and decided to defend it a little etc.

When i defended the actors, it was probably a bit heavy-handed, and that was also not on purpose. I was just excited and happy when i found out about it for a while ago, being a fan of their work. And rather surprised that i didn't realize it when i was younger.

The Nostalgia thing is quite spot on. Being a fan since childhood, i started rewatching it on Finnish for the first time in forever and surprisingly didn't find it bad, even though i know it's flawed and has parts that should have been better, like Terry's casting and i can't tell why, Voice changes can have plenty of reasons.

I found from couple of sources like Youtube that the actors were in the recording booth at the same time doing the recordings, with the voices changing occasionally due to the other actor being busy with his own roles. At one point in the 1st movie, you can briefly hear both male actors as Daisuke's father, saying the line: "Finally he's dead" coincidentally at the same time. The other guy stops talking after the word "Finally" as the other one finishes the sentence without being disturbed or distracted (judging by his rather good delivery) this happens when Hidetoshi shot Akakabuto and then they realize it's not.

But as for me, i simply overlook mistakes and enjoy the parts that are more better. Still this is my opinion and i'm not here to change anyones :) Like i said opinions vary.

I know that names are also a bit different, but most names mean exactly what they mean on Japanese too even if some of them are a little hilarious :D. And i know there are cuts that made the story a little incomprehensible, but i don't think it really matters now since we all know what really happened. It was cut in Sweden too, and i guess the finnish distributor also felt it was better this way. All in all i didn't mean to trash or criticize anyone and i'm sorry if i did :DD ^^, i do feel a little embarrassed
Last edited by WolfKing on Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

I always found it ironic that despite GNG doing so well in Scandinavia, the Finnish voice actors gave zero fucks. Although I think the Thai dub takes the cake for that - it's presented like an unofficial fan-dub the way the music keeps cutting out like that and with the background interference. :tfw_bella1:
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

Shining Sirius wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:53 am I always found it ironic that despite GNG doing so well in Scandinavia, the Finnish voice actors gave zero fucks. Although I think the Thai dub takes the cake for that - it's presented like an unofficial fan-dub the way the music keeps cutting out like that and with the background interference. :tfw_bella1:
I found the Thai dubs quality surprising, since i actually expected it to be Great, like the Japanese and Korean for example. But the Norwegian 2006 dub for the uncut version also suffers. Namely the Japanese track can be heard as the Norwegians try to hide it by making the actors shout in a loud and forced way. They didn't even dub all the lines or grunting noises, so they are said with the slightly muted Japanese voices until the loud Norwegian ones kick in again and might startle you if you use headphones. Naturally this dub was ignored and the uncut version is nowhere to be found in Norway these days.
werewolf
Potential
Potential

Post by werewolf »

I think some of them sound pretty interesting (and bad) but some of Gin's deeper voices throw me off.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Unpopular opinion. The danish dubbed version from 2006 (which is not included in these videos, which I understand. I have not been able to find any clips from that version on youtube anywhere) is so good! Everyone in Denmark that knows about this anime will probably disagree with me because they either grew up with the other version, or because of the fact that the Japanese voices can be heard in the background (only when the characters stop talking), and then they just hate it without listening to the actual cast. Small things like that problem with the Japanese voices being in the background, has never bothered me, because the voices are sooooooo quiet! If you could hear the voices while the characters were actually talking, then I would understand why they would have a problem with the dub.
Have a nice day!
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:40 pm Unpopular opinion. The danish dubbed version from 2006 (which is not included in these videos, which I understand. I have not been able to find any clips from that version on youtube anywhere) is so good! Everyone in Denmark that knows about this anime will probably disagree with me because they either grew up with the other version, or because of the fact that the Japanese voices can be heard in the background (only when the characters stop talking), and then they just hate it without listening to the actual cast. Small things like that problem with the Japanese voices being in the background, has never bothered me, because the voices are sooooooo quiet! If you could hear the voices while the characters were actually talking, then I would understand why they would have a problem with the dub.
That makes me curious. Did they not take out the Japanese tracks then and just silent all the audio when the voices come in?
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

Wolpard wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:04 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:40 pm Unpopular opinion. The danish dubbed version from 2006 (which is not included in these videos, which I understand. I have not been able to find any clips from that version on youtube anywhere) is so good! Everyone in Denmark that knows about this anime will probably disagree with me because they either grew up with the other version, or because of the fact that the Japanese voices can be heard in the background (only when the characters stop talking), and then they just hate it without listening to the actual cast. Small things like that problem with the Japanese voices being in the background, has never bothered me, because the voices are sooooooo quiet! If you could hear the voices while the characters were actually talking, then I would understand why they would have a problem with the dub.
That makes me curious. Did they not take out the Japanese tracks then and just silent all the audio when the voices come in?
No, in the Norwegian and Danish re-dub they just recorded the voices and pasted them on the Japanese audio. I haven't seen the Danish one, but i have seen the Norwegian one and it's my LEAST favorite dub of all. The actors are mostly just yelling and dragging the lines and it's unpleasant to ears, especially when you hear the Japanese audio in the background.

Here's the link to a video where they compare the original 1989 dub to the 2006 dub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu-AgmbxANk

NOTE: The 2006 version uses RED COLORED font when they introduce a clip
The 1989 uses WHITE COLORED font when they introduce a clip. They also use YELLOW colored font to name the actors during the clips
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Another guy explained it, but I do have something else to say tho. If you would like to hear some parts of the Silver Fang danish DVD version, I could record some videos tomorrow, upload them on Youtube, and send you a link here on GB. I will be recording from my phone tho, so the audio might not be the best. I just want you to kind of get an idea of how it sounds.

Also, it gives me an excuse to rewatch it;)
Have a nice day!
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

WolfKing wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:09 pm
No, in the Norwegian and Danish re-dub they just recorded the voices and pasted them on the Japanese audio. I haven't seen the Danish one, but i have seen the Norwegian one and it's my LEAST favorite dub of all. The actors are mostly just yelling and dragging the lines and it's unpleasant to ears, especially when you hear the Japanese audio in the background.

Here's the link to a video where they compare the original 1989 dub to the 2006 dub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu-AgmbxANk

The 1989 uses WHITE COLORED font when they introduce a clip. They also use YELLOW colored font to name the actors during the clips

Yeah thats kinda of what I was imagining in my head haha. Man that sucks, you can barely hear the soundtrack when they talk!
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

Wolpard wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:36 pm
WolfKing wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:09 pm

Yeah thats kinda of what I was imagining in my head haha. Man that sucks, you can barely hear the soundtrack when they talk!
That's the worst among the fact that not all of the lines or grunting sounds they make were dubbed so the sound bounces back and forth with muted sounds and mega loud dubbed voices. I've seen the Norwegian 1989 dubs and i speak Norwegian myself too, and was kind of shocked when i watched the 2006 dub for the first time. These videos are the only thing left really, you can't get the dvd's anywhere. The old dubs can be found online or on DVD's and VHS online stores. The DVD editions are so rare that they cost a lot of money

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”