Ginga confessions

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Re: Ginga confessions

Post by Troll Berserker »

I liiked gin having some fighting spirit in him but I agree for the humans ex machina part too. This is an awful plague of Ginga mangas, especially since GDW and later on.
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Digsu wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:02 am ] in the end Jerome atones for his mistakes
I don't see what he did as mistake. It was Weed who made a mistake by chasing him away.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Kaiken wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:14 pm
Digsu wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:02 am ] in the end Jerome atones for his mistakes
I don't see what he did as mistake. It was Weed who made a mistake by chasing him away.
His mistakes of sending out his comrades to die without joining them, and for directly disobeying his leader, Weed.

ImageImage
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Wasn't sure whether to put this under unpopular Ginga opinions or this topic, so I figured it'd be better here.

I empathise with Lucy.
As someone who occasionally struggles with depression, and as of recently, grief, I feel I can relate to how twisted her mind becomes in the depths of her despair, especially when she breaks down and tells Smith and the Ohu dogs that she wishes "they would all just choke on their happiness". It's a pretty damn dark, yet accurate, depiction of the fickle labyrinth of mental health problems - it can be hard feeling confined to a life of loneliness and watching everyone else around you laughing and having fun while you lack any motivation to break yourself out of your rut.

I used to strongly dislike Lucy until I analysed her character with a clear heart. I'm not saying that this should provide an automatic excuse for what she did to Sakura and her unborn pups though... :(
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Shining Sirius wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 pm Wasn't sure whether to put this under unpopular Ginga opinions or this topic, so I figured it'd be better here.

I empathise with Lucy.
As someone who occasionally struggles with depression, and as of recently, grief, I feel I can relate to how twisted her mind becomes in the depths of her despair, especially when she breaks down and tells Smith and the Ohu dogs that she wishes "they would all just choke on their happiness". It's a pretty damn dark, yet accurate, depiction of someone with mental health problems - it can be hard feeling confined to a life of loneliness and watching everyone else around you laughing and having fun while you lack any motivation to break yourself out of your rut.

I used to strongly dislike Lucy until I analysed her character with a clear heart. I'm not saying that this should provide an automatic excuse for what she did to Sakura and her unborn pups though... :(
I agree u.u I don't hate her for what she's done either. I wish the Ohu army had better support for the people who lost loved ones. They allowed her in, but leaves her to sulk all alone? No one thought maybe she needed someone there for her? She sounded like she even wanted to join him in the army so she could die alongside him.
I wonder if Smith really killed her for what she's done...

ImageImage
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Dragon wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:47 pm
Shining Sirius wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 pm Wasn't sure whether to put this under unpopular Ginga opinions or this topic, so I figured it'd be better here.

I empathise with Lucy.
As someone who occasionally struggles with depression, and as of recently, grief, I feel I can relate to how twisted her mind becomes in the depths of her despair, especially when she breaks down and tells Smith and the Ohu dogs that she wishes "they would all just choke on their happiness". It's a pretty damn dark, yet accurate, depiction of someone with mental health problems - it can be hard feeling confined to a life of loneliness and watching everyone else around you laughing and having fun while you lack any motivation to break yourself out of your rut.

I agree u.u I don't hate her for what she's done either. I wish the Ohu army had better support for the people who lost loved ones. They allowed her in, but leaves her to sulk all alone? No one thought maybe she needed someone there for her? She sounded like she even wanted to join him in the army so she could die alongside him.
I wonder if Smith really killed her for what she's done...
The Ohu army seems to have a very old fashioned approach to trauma. Reminds me of all the stories you hear of war aftermaths where scarred soldiers and bereft wives are simply expected to carry on with their lives like nothing has happened. No aftercare whatsoever. I agree - it would've been really heart warming for her to have maybe been assigned a companion or something instead of her just... wandering around paradise in a grieving slump.
I still often wonder about Lucy's fate myself. I can't really see Smith killing her, but if he didn't, does that mean she could have committed suicide? That'd be tragically dark... :/
JiiJoo
Recruit
Recruit

Post by JiiJoo »

Something about Yamabiko's lighter underbelly always bothered me. like whenever he is colored he have It but In the manga he looks like he doesn't.

I also prefer his look without a lighter underbelly more for some reason. :yamabiko:
:bon: :bella: :maxim: :lydia: :aram: :pinkdragon:
*Insert Intresting something*
Moth-chan

Post by Moth-chan »

Is it weird that my main excitement for the stage play is to see my favorite dog as a hot anime husbando?
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Back when I was a Ginga noob, and could barely get my tongue around any Romanised Japanese, I used to mispronounce Yukimura's name as 'Yucky-mura'. :tfw_orion1:
werewolf
Potential
Potential

Post by werewolf »

When reading the manga half the time I don't know who the [side characters] are so I just power through it. Whenever someone on the forums mentions someone who isn't like one of the 7 main chars I have noooo idea if its really a ginga character tbh.
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

It took me until the latest GDN chapter to realize that Tama was the Hiro lookalike son and Kin was the slightly darker-colored son. I spent way too long thinking it was the other way around.
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

I used to think John and Jerome were the same dog, that Genba is a good guy, and that Weed killed Johnerome/Jerohn.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker »

I'm probably still into Ginga because of doggies, my sentiment for GNG and the awesome community I don't want to leave, but these mangas are just bad and you can't help it. Pacing is off, the content is full of sexism and toxic masculinity and characters feel so unreal.
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Troll Berserker wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:41 am I'm probably still into Ginga because of doggies, my sentiment for GNG and the awesome community I don't want to leave, but these mangas are just bad and you can't help it. Pacing is off, the content is full of sexism and toxic masculinity and characters feel so unreal.
Same. Ginga isn't written very well at all, and a huge majority of the characters are pretty flat.
Im mainly into it for the concept and I like the art style. Both are pretty unique and i think theres a lot to work with in fannon.
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

I agree. I love the concept and the action, adult themes through animal POV, but it's super rare in fiction not written for children, so you literally have only Ginga and a few incomplete online webcomics to choose from for this kind of concept...
icon by azzai
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Atha wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:04 pm I agree. I love the concept and the action, adult themes through animal POV, but it's super rare in fiction not written for children, so you literally have only Ginga and a few incomplete online webcomics to choose from for this kind of concept...
Wait, there are MORE stuff than only ginga? What are these webcomics? Please tell me! :o
Favorites:
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Kaiken wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:22 pm
Atha wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:04 pm I agree. I love the concept and the action, adult themes through animal POV, but it's super rare in fiction not written for children, so you literally have only Ginga and a few incomplete online webcomics to choose from for this kind of concept...
Wait, there are MORE stuff than only ginga? What are these webcomics? Please tell me! :o
These aren't webcomics but;
Watership Down, Plague Dogs, Felidae, Beasts of Burden

I still feel like Ginga is very unique in comparison to these though in that it takes a lot of inspiration from Samurai, which is also pretty damn cool
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Wolpard wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:13 pm
Kaiken wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:22 pm
These aren't webcomics but;
Watership Down, Plague Dogs, Felidae, Beasts of Burden

I still feel like Ginga is very unique in comparison to these though in that it takes a lot of inspiration from Samurai, which is also pretty damn cool
Eeeh, I know all of these. They're really good. :) There's also Animals of Farthing Wood, Felidae comic, White Heart Baekkgu and Brave Soldiers (even through this one's really human issues about war, just with anthro animals, so that probably doesn't count, but it's on my list for having ginga's samurai values like comradeship, bravery, etc).
Favorites:
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

I think Unsai is ugly. :unsai:
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

This is less of a confession and more of a nitpick, I guess, but it didn’t feel like something worth putting in “unpopular opinions” because it’s such a small thing that only I really care about, lol:

I don’t like whenever characters who are supposed to be old and wise, or just wise and mature, say stuff like, “that guy” or other really casual language that younger characters use. It just feels really weird. Like, why would Akame for example be like, “Yeah, those guys were really tough...”, it just feels weird.

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”