Is this a tragedy?

General discussion of all things related to Ginga No Inutachi.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Is this a tragedy?

Post by Gingaddict »

When I read up on this Manga, it explained it as 'mostly about the relationships between the dogs and a boy or a young man.' But the only real details of it I have found is how these dog characters are either killed by man or put into a crisis because of man.

So is this a story about how we humans don't deserve dogs or just a series of tragedies involving dogs?

What do you think the main takeaway is? Is there something deeper here or just upsetting for the sake of being upsetting?
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Is this a tragedy?

Post by Spirit Tree »

I think it's about the nature of humans toward dogs. Many people like dogs, but many don't like them. I did read just two of the stories that are translated into English. One of them is about the Shiba Inu.

So my takeaway is that there are good and bad humans when it comes to how they treat dogs. But it's also about how emotional dogs can be, whether they are sacrificial for humans that they love or snapping at humans because they don't trust them after enduring earlier pain from others, even if they snap at good humans that mean no harm to them.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Juza
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Juza »

I just finished reading it yesteday, and YES, it's definitely very tragic.
The humans in the story are mostly bad-natured and questionable people that are absolutely awful towards their dogs.
The dogs are a lot more dog-like/realistic than in Takahashi's other works too, and it's genuinely painful to watch them be neglected by the humans around them.
Gingaddict wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:39 pmSo is this a story about how we humans don't deserve dogs or just a series of tragedies involving dogs?
I think it's a bit of both. I feel like the main message is how we should remember to value and appreciate dogs, and give them the best lives we possible can. Basically it's like a reminder saying "a dog might just be a small part of your life, but for your dog, you're the entire world.".
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Juza wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:39 pm The humans in the story are mostly bad-natured and questionable people that are absolutely awful towards their dogs.
Personally, I feel like it's a mix of both good and bad, with the stories featuring both people who absolutely love their dogs and people who are awful to them. It comes off as both tragic and hopeful: dogs are wonderful creatures and humans can do horrible things to them, but we're also capable of giving them great love if we want to.

Granted, that could be my opinion just because I can't help but compare it to Fang, which, similarly to Ginga no Inutachi, was written by Akira Itou and illustrated by Takahashi, and features a similar "humans are bastards" premise. However, Fang is... significantly more one-sided about the matter, to put it mildly, and the way GnI handles both the pros and cons of human/animal relationships instead of just making it all about how humans are horrible makes it feel more bittersweet than outright depressing.

Juza
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Juza »

Digsu wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:57 pm Personally, I feel like it's a mix of both good and bad, with the stories featuring both people who absolutely love their dogs and people who are awful to them.
I guess you're referring to the boy from the first story and the old lady being good? They both started out being neglectful and bad owners despite redeeming themselves later on though.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Juza wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:27 pm
Digsu wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:57 pm Personally, I feel like it's a mix of both good and bad, with the stories featuring both people who absolutely love their dogs and people who are awful to them.
I guess you're referring to the boy from the first story and the old lady being good? They both started out being neglectful and bad owners despite redeeming themselves later on though.
Yes, but also the people who were good to begin with, like the old teacher from the second story and the Brazilian worker from the sixth one.

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

This story is truly amazing! It's so sad just first two chapters have been translated. This is a gold book that every dog owner should have.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
juky091

Post by juky091 »

Yes
panther-star

Post by panther-star »

has anyone been able to upload the work anywhere? Or find copies available for purchase?
4townie
Mentor
Mentor

Post by 4townie »

panther-star wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:25 pm has anyone been able to upload the work anywhere? Or find copies available for purchase?
I think there's an english translation available.
💜✨Ginga Board's #1 Matthew Lillard Simp✨💜
Sandatora
Translator
Translator

Post by Sandatora »

panther-star wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:25 pm has anyone been able to upload the work anywhere? Or find copies available for purchase?
4townie wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:00 pm
There isn't unfortunately :( Though throughout the years a couple different people attempted to translate it but found it boring and dropped it after 1-2 chapters (and those chapters have since been removed by the translators or lost).

Not sure where you could buy a copy, but you could always ask in the Marketplace! :)

Icon by VyzWares on Twitter!
🌺 Art topic | Oc generator & Picrew | Art Fight | Toyhouse | Tumblr | Art Tumblr 🌺
4townie
Mentor
Mentor

Post by 4townie »

Sandatora wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:41 pm
There isn't unfortunately :( Though throughout the years a couple different people attempted to translate it but found it boring and dropped it after 1-2 chapters (and those chapters have since been removed by the translators or lost).

Not sure where you could buy a copy, but you could always ask in the Marketplace! :)
Thought there was :derpgin: Mandela Effect
💜✨Ginga Board's #1 Matthew Lillard Simp✨💜
Wisp
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Wisp »

4townie wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:09 pm
Sandatora wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:41 pm

Thought there was :derpgin: Mandela Effect
I have seen it on Japanese Amazon as ebook
I also have the two English chapters that got translated, so not lost! :tfw_bella2:
I wish there were more chapters translated :(

Return to “Ginga No Inutachi”