Is anyone overrated?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Is anyone overrated?

Post by Gingaddict »

Is there any character in Ginga you think is overrated either by fans or the writers?

Mines would have to be Akame, he's meant to be old and an adviser but yet the writers act like he's a god making fly like a superhero and age backwards!
The other is Kurojaki, I mean Gin beat him very easily and he abandoned his son and yet folk say he's admirable for dying for his mission? :tfw_sirius2: NA!
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Phantom Riki
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Is anyone overrated?

Post by Phantom Riki »

Hmm....Hayato??maybe?Because he was introduced as a cowardly dog first.But then his death scene was so glorified that I could imagine him to be a true warrior!!
Power isn't Justice.Justice is Power!!
Previously known as Mr Charisma
skinklegs
Friend
Friend

Post by skinklegs »

Akame and Jerome come to mind. :tfw_aokabuto2:
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Jerome and Kurojaki for sure in the fandom. I love both of them but there's a definite bias towards them despite there being plenty of characters I think are just as good if not better that don't get the same attention.

Interestingly, I notice that a lot of the senior fans or fans who read the manga tend not to care as much about Jerome as less involved fans or fans that have only watched the anime. I think Jerome was more well written in the anime, but that doesn't necessarily explain why newer vs older fans seem to have different views of him. I wonder why. :tfw_rigel1:

Akame in the series, but also Kurojaki. Yoshi seems to really not want to let go of Akame and makes him super important despite him being a super old dude. A lot of other oldies get similar treatment but Akame certainly gets the most. I feel like Akame is the reason we also get so many throwbacks to Kurojaki despite him having been a minor villain.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I think Yukimura is pretty overrated, both in-universe and outside it. He was a genocidal sadist, but since he did exactly one (1) good thing that's all null and void and he's suddenly a hero? The fact that the narration does nothing but sing his praises following his death as if none of the abhorrent stuff he did ever happened really doesn't help.

I don't deny that he could have had great potential if he'd been allowed to live and spend the rest of his life atoning for his crimes, but considering everything he did, a heroic death was just letting him off easy.

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

This might be an unpopular opinion but I think Benizakura might be. I don't hate him, but he showed up at the last second, and it felt like we didnt get to bond with him enough (we hear his history, see him vs gin, then he sacrifices himself), but he's loved a ton.

and i know this character isnt overrated but hes brought up more than i expected: terry. we dont know him at all, heck, i even forgot riki calls him name as a platoon leader before the journey, but gets shown as a traitor. once ben joins his pack thats been stranded for days, thats when he chooses to fight and gets twisted into a way of reuniting the two armies somehow... kisaragi was heartless enough to trap and starve a pack, but somehow fighting Terry now sways him? Idk, it was a nice scene but still confuses me on how it's one of the biggest heroic moments in the series.
I dont even mind that he stayed on Kisaragi's good side to find a moment to strike. as a proud soldier, i bet that was hard and humiliating.

ImageImage
Tsukitora
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Tsukitora »

A K A M E :bella4:

I’ve grown to hate him because he’s even overrated by Yoshi.
Call me Cammi!
:mukonga: :fuuga: :mangariki: :gdwcross: :gdwakatora: :gdwkurotora: :gin: :lenny: :blue:

Avatar credit to the amazing Kasi!
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Dragon wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:00 am This might be an unpopular opinion but I think Benizakura might be. I don't hate him, but he showed up at the last second, and it felt like we didnt get to bond with him enough (we hear his history, see him vs gin, then he sacrifices himself), but he's loved a ton.
I think his death scene is a big part of why he is so popular. And also the fact he's a fighter but a softy at heart. But I get what you mean, he is a fairly short lived character in the series.
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

Jerome - period .
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Wolpard wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:55 pm
Dragon wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:00 am This might be an unpopular opinion but I think Benizakura might be. I don't hate him, but he showed up at the last second, and it felt like we didnt get to bond with him enough (we hear his history, see him vs gin, then he sacrifices himself), but he's loved a ton.
I think his death scene is a big part of why he is so popular. And also the fact he's a fighter but a softy at heart. But I get what you mean, he is a fairly short lived character in the series.
I personally liked Benizakura's backstory and his situation that prevents him from leaving at first (he's taking care of of the boy he lives with). That combined with his "strong but actually a nice old man" personality makes him very interesting character to me, and I wish Ginga had more unique characters like that! Nowadays everyone is just "grrr I'm strong"
...or maybe I just like the Benizakura mini arc we had, because after that I didn't find his character that interesting anyore (altghough he didn't have a big role in the story after that said arc).
Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade »

Akame... Yoshi just can't let him die. He is a plot device that gives the other characters reasons to do something. He feels less of a character the more the series goes on.

Jerome. I have never liked Jerome as a character. He is weird and creepy. Seeing him get praised as the best soldier when more he does is cause trouble is annoying. But I hate seeing him in general lol

But the character I think is the most overrated is Yukimura. Weed being twisted and having questionable morals? Weed is nowhere as bad as Yukimura. He is evil, no question. He is a bad dude that managed to do a good thing before his death. That's all. But the series and fans treat him like the best one of Gin's kids as if he was in any way a sane person. I agree with Digsu. Yukimura was a sadistic bastard that brainwashed puppies to be his soldiers that he needed for his unjustified monkey genocide. He got of easy because Weed was the leader and Weed forgives even the worst criminals.
Image Image
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Leomonade wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:18 pm Jerome. I have never liked Jerome as a character. He is weird and creepy.
Im curious of what you mean by creepy O: ? Like design wise or did he say stuff you didnt like before?
But the character I think is the most overrated is Yukimura. Weed being twisted and having questionable morals? Weed is nowhere as bad as Yukimura. He is evil, no question. He is a bad dude that managed to do a good thing before his death. That's all. But the series and fans treat him like the best one of Gin's kids as if he was in any way a sane person. I agree with Digsu. Yukimura was a sadistic bastard that brainwashed puppies to be his soldiers that he needed for his unjustified monkey genocide. He got of easy because Weed was the leader and Weed forgives even the worst criminals.
I won't lie, even though I like Yukimura the most of Gin's kids, he's difficult to get myself to fully like lol I can enjoy villains in series easily. it's all fictional and there's always interesting heroes and villains ... but Yukimura, though having gone through the separation of his family, the 'loss' of his brother, and being the reason for Saheiji being crippled, I... still can't fully find him cool when he's constantly saying stuff like 'tear out that baby monkey's guts!' and 'haha, i fed you the meat of that baby monkey's parents!' and stuff like that.
Kyoshiro went through something a bit similar, arguably even worse, but even he gave abusive parents a second or third chance to get lost while he takes care of the abused kids. Yukimura was surprisingly heartless and unforgiving to anyone who got in the way... he's even darker sounding than TLW Orion at some points... I'd say maybe this adds some interesting points to him, since he's the son of the almighty heroic, Gin, but... I think he shouldve been toned down a bit.
Anyone who fully likes Yukimura, I don't fault though. it's a fictional series and such, but I can't say he's an angel, that's for sure.

ImageImage
Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade »

Dragon wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:54 pm
Leomonade wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:18 pm Jerome. I have never liked Jerome as a character. He is weird and creepy.
Im curious of what you mean by creepy O: ? Like design wise or did he say stuff you didnt like before?
Oh his design is A-okay to me. It's his actions that make him seem very slimy to me. His whole character arc is about him not being mentally stable and he is still treated as "the advisor/teacher" to Weed, a young child he is weirdly fixated with. He makes me uncomfortable. And I find it weird how he, out of all the characters, is given so much praise in the manga when he has hardly done anything worth mentioning???
Image Image
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

I think Kurotora is overrated. He's given a whole lot of page time, and I don't believe he's accomplished much in the series to justify most of it. He's mainly known as the "brother of Akatora, who took Akakabuto's eye," or the grumpy old man who sometimes goes crazy. Other than his role in the Wolf arc, I don't believe he's anything special.
SPOILER
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

fantachan wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:41 am
SPOILER
to be fair he is the only thing we really have as far as canonical queer rep and we all know Yoshi will not give us any more :tfw_orion1:
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Manga Jerome springs to mind. :EMPTY:
Along with Kurotora, Akame, Gin, Bon, Andy and Jyoushiro. :gdwkurotora: :akame: :gdwgin: :bon: :andy: :kyoushiro:
Oh, and Kurojaki in the fandom, for sure. :kurojaki:
Dragon wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:54 pm
Leomonade wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:18 pm But the character I think is the most overrated is Yukimura. Weed being twisted and having questionable morals? Weed is nowhere as bad as Yukimura. He is evil, no question. He is a bad dude that managed to do a good thing before his death. That's all. But the series and fans treat him like the best one of Gin's kids as if he was in any way a sane person. I agree with Digsu. Yukimura was a sadistic bastard that brainwashed puppies to be his soldiers that he needed for his unjustified monkey genocide. He got of easy because Weed was the leader and Weed forgives even the worst criminals.
I... still can't fully find him cool when he's constantly saying stuff like 'tear out that baby monkey's guts!' and 'haha, i fed you the meat of that baby monkey's parents!' and stuff like that.
ALL of this.
Yukimura was a twisted, genocidal maniac who happened to mortally wound an even worse guy before he died. So I tend to get annoyed when I remember that the Monkey Arc portrayed his death as angelic. Yukimura was a bad guy who never once showed a shred of regret for the things he orchestrated. :yukimura:
Saheiji deserved a better son. :saheiji:
Knight
Potential
Potential

Post by Knight »

Benizakura. I found him and his death very forgettable and I always have to try really hard to remember what even happened in that episode.
I see people here saying they liked him being tough and softy, but personally I got that from Moss so I didn't really need it from him.
I'm always shocked at how often the fandom brings him up.
  ─────────── ʏᴀᴋsʜᴀ :john:
//art by Dragon
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Shining Sirius wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:50 pm Manga Jerome springs to mind. :EMPTY:
Along with Kurotora, Akame, Gin, Bon, Andy and Jyoushiro. :gdwkurotora: :akame: :gdwgin: :bon: :andy: :kyoushiro:
Id like to throw in Sasuke, since he's used connstanntlyyy in the manga like Jyoshiro level lol almost more.

ImageImage
MasterOfCider
Recruit
Recruit

Post by MasterOfCider »

Riki, good lord Riki. Everyone loves him, and I just don't get why. He never does anything that great. Yeah he's the leader, but what does he actually do? We're told he's this great, strong man but he doesn't do anything warranting it. We're supposed to like him, because the narrative tells us we're supposed to, but that's really not enough for me. Whooo he beat John and fought some bears, big deal. Quite a few other characters have done the same. Even in GNG I am more impressed by characters like Ben, Benizakura, Gin, Musashi, Akatora, Akame, pretty much almost everyone else who actually did something to earn being called great.

I don't hate Riki at all. He's got a cool design and is well-spoken. He just...didn't do anything remarkable. It's made worse by the story forcing it down our throats in a way that never gives the man a chance to stand on his own.
"Satan takes me to the pasta."
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

MasterOfCider wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:31 pm Riki, good lord Riki. Everyone loves him, and I just don't get why. He never does anything that great. Yeah he's the leader, but what does he actually do? We're told he's this great, strong man but he doesn't do anything warranting it. We're supposed to like him, because the narrative tells us we're supposed to, but that's really not enough for me. Whooo he beat John and fought some bears, big deal. Quite a few other characters have done the same. Even in GNG I am more impressed by characters like Ben, Benizakura, Gin, Musashi, Akatora, Akame, pretty much almost everyone else who actually did something to earn being called great.

I don't hate Riki at all. He's got a cool design and is well-spoken. He just...didn't do anything remarkable. It's made worse by the story forcing it down our throats in a way that never gives the man a chance to stand on his own.
I think we got to see him do some pretty impressive things o: Despite having amnesia, in just a year, he had enough charisma to not only gather up a group of dogs to travel the world in his name to take down a bear, but still be followed and trusted by almost a thousand dogs, all to take down this monsterous pack of bears.

While being the only dog left behind, we got to see him defend their territory from groups of bears all alone. His increasing number of scars showed not only the hardship he went through doing this alone, but showed that he succeeded in winning each attempt Akakabuto made to take the land from them.

We got a side story showing more in depth of how he was like as a child. Being a crybaby mama's boy who didnt want to fight others at the beginning, to then become the symbol of dogs in unity is pretty nice. Though the story is a later thought, without it, he was still a nice guy in the first introduction of him. He gave it his everything to protect Gohei, Gin, and Daisuke and cared so much about taking down this monster for its crimes even with amnesia.

I do get how he can be considered overrated though xD hes probably on the level of like Benizakura. The narrator/someone talks about their greatness, they have one or two really cool scenes, and then dead. Though one's more powerfully done than the other. We even get to see both's past.
Even in GNG I am more impressed by characters like Ben, Benizakura, Gin, Musashi, Akatora, Akame, pretty much almost everyone else who actually did something to earn being called great.
I am curious about him though... i cant recall him doing anything in GNG ;; sometimes i forget hes even in the series. he got robbed for sure.

ImageImage

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”