Ginga confessions

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Ginga confessions

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Despite GTLW's many mistakes and flaws, I can't help myself but enjoy it. When I read the manga, I enjoyed almost every moment. I really can't explain why. I know that it has many flaws, but I just can't help myself. I enjoyed the manga, the story, and that's it.

BTW I don't know if this one belongs in this topic or "Unpopular opinions". Feel free to move this one if it is in the wrong topic:)
Have a nice day!
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:01 pm Despite GTLW's many mistakes and flaws, I can't help myself but enjoy it. When I read the manga, I enjoyed almost every moment. I really can't explain why. I know that it has many flaws, but I just can't help myself. I enjoyed the manga, the story, and that's it.

BTW I don't know if this one belongs in this topic or "Unpopular opinions". Feel free to move this one if it is in the wrong topic:)
I know that feeling but for GDWO xD
People don't seem to like it and usually don't care too much for the new cast, but I honestly feel its refreshing to get a big new cast, while still using Ginga lore, to build a new world we had to learn about. Seeing everyone's paths and stories was really fun!

ImageImage
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Phantom Riki wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:42 pm Though it happened by a mistake,I killed a young Sparrow by crushing it with my feets.
...I believe you may have put this in the wrong topic. It does not sound Ginga-related. I suppose you meant to post it on Confessions Topic?
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

I thought that Bill was Sniper's father at the beginning when I saw anime first time LOL
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

Dragon wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:05 am
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:01 pm Despite GTLW's many mistakes and flaws, I can't help myself but enjoy it. When I read the manga, I enjoyed almost every moment. I really can't explain why. I know that it has many flaws, but I just can't help myself. I enjoyed the manga, the story, and that's it.

I know that feeling but for GDWO xD
People don't seem to like it and usually don't care too much for the new cast, but I honestly feel its refreshing to get a big new cast, while still using Ginga lore, to build a new world we had to learn about. Seeing everyone's paths and stories was really fun!
Well as for me, i unsurprisingly did not like TLW at all XD, for obvious reasons. But i have to admit with Silver Alchemist that the plot itself is intriguing, i've always felt that the plot and concept was intriguing. Especially the distinction of the characters pretty much staying in Ou for most of the time was a welcome change.

The problem however was the execution which made the story and the themes feel wasted, and the characters behaving so awfully throughout which made it near impossible to root for the heroes, or the villain. The fact that several senior characters from GNG and also GDW being nonchalantly killed off at the start does not help matters.

GDWO was OK, but underwhelming compared to GDW and GNG. It felt like a retread of those two with the journey thing and all, which is not bad, but it didn't offer much new. As for the new cast, it's not awful really. The problem simply is that they are really one-dimensional due to Yoshi introducing many new characters but focuses so much on Orion that he doesn't bother to give much personality to the new supporting cast.

Now in GDN the new characters are still one-dimensional, and i think even more than in GDWO. No real personality, just tag-along guys who help the protagonist with very little to do. I think especially Andy and Gennai are the biggest offenders for me. I just dislike them thoroughly.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I mainly enjoyed the art, even if the story was rubbish, I think the art and drawings are always good (except when they attempt to do toilet humour!)
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Nerdykestrel74
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Nerdykestrel74 »

I can't stand Yukimura. I got done reading the monkey arc rather recently and so far no other character has irritated me this much. He's a super unhinged genocidal maniac who only changed his mind at the last minute and then died. The dude also trains puppies to kill baby monkey's. :tfw_sirius1:
I don't get why so many fans love him when 90% of his screen time is just him acting like the worst person imaginable because he can't comprehend the idea that not everyone who's part of a certain group is bad.
Akakama my beloved <3 :akakama:
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

Nerdykestrel74 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:18 pm I can't stand Yukimura. I got done reading the monkey arc rather recently and so far no other character has irritated me this much. He's a super unhinged genocidal maniac who only changed his mind at the last minute and then died. The dude also trains puppies to kill baby monkey's. :tfw_sirius1:
I don't get why so many fans love him when 90% of his screen time is just him acting like the worst person imaginable because he can't comprehend the idea that not everyone who's part of a certain group is bad.
I feel the same of him too, i didn't really get attached to him, nor did i take much liking to him either.

It was understandable that he wanted revenge his adoptive father Saheiji's disablement, but his grudge to every single monkey, even babies made me dislike him and not root for him. I just thought: How can i root for a guy who barely has any redeeming factures, and 90% of his screentime he just wants blood, or is losing his temper at someone.

In the end i wasn't happy that he died, but i wasn't completely sad either because of my detachment to him. I wish he could have been written better than he was.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Nerdykestrel74 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:18 pm I can't stand Yukimura. I got done reading the monkey arc rather recently and so far no other character has irritated me this much. He's a super unhinged genocidal maniac who only changed his mind at the last minute and then died. The dude also trains puppies to kill baby monkey's. :tfw_sirius1:
Is it bad that that's why I like him...? XD He's so messed up and tragic, it makes him an interesting character to read about.
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

THIS.

Yukimura is a combat-hungry, dumb, genocidal asshole who only did one good thing before he died. Change my mind. :yukimura:
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Wolpard wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:59 pm
Is it bad that that's why I like him...? XD He's so messed up and tragic, it makes him an interesting character to read about.
I like him too. One of my favorite characters, in fact. I wish we had more than just 5 volumes, of Weed's eldest brother who would have probably been the next Ohu leader, had Sakura not given him away.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Kaiken wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:34 pm
I like him too. One of my favorite characters, in fact. I wish we had more than just 5 volumes, of Weed's eldest brother who would have probably been the next Ohu leader, had Sakura not given him away.
I dont really like thinking about him as Ohu's leader, I think Weed was more mature in that sense. I just think he's an interestingly flawed character. :orion3:
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Wolpard wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:47 pm
Kaiken wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:34 pm

I dont really like thinking about him as Ohu's leader, I think Weed was more mature in that sense. I just think he's an interestingly flawed character. :orion3:
But would he have grown up so heavily flawed and violent had he not experienced monkey attacks? He would have been a more mature leader than Weed, plus one doesn't have Oedipus complex and who doesn't resort to exiling his own two sons over a political disagreement.
Yukimura would have been a terrible Ohu leader as he was shown in actual comic, but that all resulted from his traumatic youth. I bet he would have been very different if he had grown up in a normal environment, with all his brothers and both parents together, alive, healthy and uninjured.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

I wasn’t all that fond of him at first. He was exactly what you said he was to begin with. But near the end, I praised him for finding a great change and developed some liking to him. But yeah, he was a crazy madman in the beginning before he found it within his heart to open his mind and see the real thing.

And I do confess that I find his death really sad. I have him in my Top Ten Saddest Deaths in the Ginga Series.
Shining Sirius wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:04 pm
THIS.

Yukimura is a combat-hungry, dumb, genocidal asshole who only did one good thing before he died. Change my mind. :yukimura:
Don’t worry. I won’t change your mind because it’s not right to change anyone’s opinion because everyone has their own opinion. :rigel4:

I’m just kidding around. But it’s also true. Please don’t get me for this. LOL
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Legit :rigel4:
Ginga has so many cookie cutter personality types unlike other series, so when one shows something interesting, even when chaotic, I don't think it's too bad to be interested in it.
I also love his relationship with Saheiji. It was just too cute q_q

ImageImage
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Dragon wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:10 am
Ginga has so many cookie cutter personality types unlike other series, so when one shows something interesting, even when chaotic, I don't think it's too bad to be interested in it.
Yessss, he and Seheiji are so good!!
I feel the same way with Sirius for example, I love him probably because he feels so refreshing compared to most of the cast. He and Yukimura are on total opposite ends of the spectrum and they're definitely both up there on characters I love just cause they're so fascinating. :KRUMP:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Wolpard wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:41 am

I feel the same way with Sirius for example, I love him probably because he feels so refreshing compared to most of the cast. He and Yukimura are on total opposite ends of the spectrum and they're definitely both up there on characters I love just cause they're so fascinating. :KRUMP:
Agreed, even while being one of the people raging at him during TLW :bon1: I looooved him in GDWO and man was he SUPER different in TLW. Even if he made me mad, I also didn't fully hate Monsoon because of his exploration with him. It's probably one of the best parts of TLW for me personally.

ImageImage
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

Dragon wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:44 am
Wolpard wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:41 am

Agreed, even while being one of the people raging at him during TLW :bon1: I looooved him in GDWO and man was he SUPER different in TLW. Even if he made me mad, I also didn't fully hate Monsoon because of his exploration with him. It's probably one of the best parts of TLW for me personally.
I agree with you Wolpard and Dragon on Sirius. I've always liked him, ever since GDWO he was a kind of an distinctive guy with his kindness. Willing to forgive enemies and even convince some to join them. He had that charm on him. Also he was a strong fighter Even If he wasn't that crazy about fighting.

In TLW his exploration of Monsoon was actually fascinating, just not always executed as well as one might hope. I didn't like how his ideals were exaggerated at times and his nonchalant declaration of getting ovet allies deaths and considering OU enemies after being exiled gave some bad shade, but i never lost my full liking to him.

He was however not a typical traitor considering that he never wanted revenge for being exiled and only wanted piece, and his heroic moment of saving Orion was a poignant moment for him.

In GDN i still have hope that his role will have great importance.

And also hopefully guys like Izou and Kin or Tama will have some respect for him, i mean they had some negative words about him here.
Tabunne

Post by Tabunne »

I confess that my main fursona was originally created as an OC for GDW. She was one of Weed's kids (I made her before Orion was a thing. I'm so old lmao) and I would use MS Paint to color over screenshots to make the story.
I also confess haven't read Orion or anything past Volume 11 of GDW.
And finally, around 2006, I went to my local library on my birthday for a book dedication thing they do for younger-ish kids. Basically, you pick out a book and they'll put a little sticker on the inside with your name and a birthday greeting. I think they doubled as book recommendations to get more things checked out? Anyway, there's a copy of GDW volume 1 with my name in it on that birthday sticker.
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker »

No what I think of it - I like Jerome's exile in the manga better than in anime.

It just makes more sense to me that Weed would get mad at Jerome for killing some random spies than killing two trained murderers who have already lied to Weed and tried to kill him several times.
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”