Ginga confessions

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Re: Ginga confessions

Post by LIBRAKIND »

I used to just straight up refuse to criticize the series for the longest bc it was and still is my only inspiration despite me having some gripes (moreso now as adult), I guess I'm just too sentimental for it.

But for a more spicy take i feel like: I honestly don't like the idea of GNG characters still being around.
Like dont get me wrong I love GNG, I like it more than GDW in terms of scale (dogs fighting big scary bears is a lot more grand and Impressive than... dogs fighting dogs lmao). But like, even as a dumb middle schooler I thought the time gap between series was too big for them to make sense to still be alive (it's weird what nonsensical things one will let slide considering this series and what things will still irk 'em). I love the characters but it just felt weird still seeing them fight like they were young (with only maybe a slight hindering?) But nowadays I guess I'm more okay with them still being here in GDW but hearing that some are still around even pass that (I'm only still in the Hogen arc of the manga) kinda makes me groan. Like I feel like they already had their time to shine and should just go and let the newer folk have that time instead.
Troll Berserker wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:40 am No what I think of it - I like Jerome's exile in the manga better than in anime.

It just makes more sense to me that Weed would get mad at Jerome for killing some random spies than killing two trained murderers who have already lied to Weed and tried to kill him several times.
Honestly, if the gravity of Jerome's exile was swapped between the anime and manga, it would be a lot better in the manga. It feels weird some no body spies who at most were just gonna tattle got a slap on the wrist-like punishment. It makes more sense for Weed to be pissed these guys were killed than the two killers that came at the group several times, therefore have Jerome punished harder.

But since it's how it is, I still find the whole exile plot point dumb for two different reasons depending on which media we're talking about. :jeromeder:
^click me!^
My Socials
Mukonga and Hunderian banners made by me
Libra sprite made by GSDJohn and Dragon
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

LIBRAKIND wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:29 pm But for a more spicy take i feel like: I honestly don't like the idea of GNG characters still being around.
Like dont get me wrong I love GNG, I like it more than GDW in terms of scale (dogs fighting big scary bears is a lot more grand and Impressive than... dogs fighting dogs lmao). But like, even as a dumb middle schooler I thought the time gap between series was too big for them to make sense to still be alive (it's weird what nonsensical things one will let slide considering this series and what things will still irk 'em). I love the characters but it just felt weird still seeing them fight like they were young (with only maybe a slight hindering?) But nowadays I guess I'm more okay with them still being here in GDW but hearing that some are still around even pass that (I'm only still in the Hogen arc of the manga) kinda makes me groan. Like I feel like they already had their time to shine and should just go and let the newer folk have that time instead.
Same. I feel like the thought process was old fans want to see the OG characters, but most fans seem to not like how old they are and that theyre still alive. If anything I wish the timeskip was significantly smaller. I have a bit of a joke headcanon that the 14 years is in the classic "dog years" (1 year = 7 dog years) and so it was only 2 years lol. Ignore Daisuke's aging, he's a beanstalk.
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

In my opinion the idea of Older Generation (GNG and GDW characters) dying for the new younger generation (GDWO onward) is not worth it. I mean i know the Old Generation characters are absurdly old and some have practically overstayed their welcome.

But the problem is that aside from Orion and Sirius and hopefully now Rigel, the Younger Generation has not shown much signs of being worthy successors to Older Generation because they have very little if any personality at all, and most of the time just stand in the background or follow Orion around without doing much except fighting, but also require Orion's help to defeat someone. In GNG and GDW we had many characters but most of them had established personality and had at least something to do and moments of awesome or badassery.

But Yoshi focuses so much on Orion that hardly any of the other guys get anything to do. Yamabiko started out as interesting, but after GDWO
he hasn't really got to do anything but following around and all, Andy is just irritating and an exaggerated version of John, Bon has also nothing really interesting to do. And also many major characters from GDW have become helpless and can't do anything unless Orion is around.

Examples: When Rigel was negotiating with Wan-Wan, Izou just whines "If only Orion was here" and Tesshin complaining "Why don't you think about us Rigel?"

Of course there's a chance that this may change, but if it doesn't it's better to keep the older characters around.

I'm not trying to condemn anyone or any character here i'm just expressing my feelings for how these new characters feel to me.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

WolfKing wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:20 am In my opinion the idea of Older Generation (GNG and GDW characters) dying for the new younger generation (GDWO onward) is not worth it. I mean i know the Old Generation characters are absurdly old and some have practically overstayed their welcome.

But the problem is that aside from Orion and Sirius and hopefully now Rigel, the Younger Generation has not shown much signs of being worthy successors to Older Generation because they have very little if any personality at all, and most of the time just stand in the background or follow Orion around without doing much except fighting, but also require Orion's help to defeat someone. In GNG and GDW we had many characters but most of them had established personality and had at least something to do and moments of awesome or badassery.
Think about it: if the old gen dies, Yoshi has no choice but to develop the newer people :tfw_aokabuto1: Even if he ends up rehashing personalities, it'll finally be a focus on the newer, younger gen than the same gen we've been traveling with for over... what.. 40ish years now? xD Plus, if the oldies are finally out the pictures, needing to rely so heavily on veterans won't be an option for the younger characters anymore. They get to make up their own new way of leading, which is an interesting sight to see all on its own. A bit similar to Weed's journey, having to think what his dad would have approved on, but staying that way, as there wouldn't be a wise Gin to tell Orion and the others right from wrong no matter what.

ImageImage
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

Dragon wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:36 pm
WolfKing wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:20 am In my opinion the idea of Older Generation (GNG and GDW characters) dying for the new younger generation (GDWO onward) is not worth it. I mean i know the Old Generation characters are absurdly old and some have practically overstayed their welcome.

Think about it: if the old gen dies, Yoshi has no choice but to develop the newer people :tfw_aokabuto1: Even if he ends up rehashing personalities, it'll finally be a focus on the newer, younger gen than the same gen we've been traveling with for over... what.. 40ish years now? xD Plus, if the oldies are finally out the pictures, needing to rely so heavily on veterans won't be an option for the younger characters anymore. They get to make up their own new way of leading, which is an interesting sight to see all on its own. A bit similar to Weed's journey, having to think what his dad would have approved on, but staying that way, as there wouldn't be a wise Gin to tell Orion and the others right from wrong no matter what.
That's kinda what I was thinking.
The newer characters probably wouldnt be so bad if they had the time and focus to actually grow if they had more limelight.

Again, I haven't gotten that far in the manga, so I dont know if the older gen characters are used as like a crutch for certain things, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

And another confession I'd like to make: I honestly thought the wolf arc was supposed to happen alongside the main arc of GNG. Around when I only just first watched the anime, I heard about the wolf arc being a thing and wondered why it would've been cut. So when I finally got a chance to read the manga, I kept going through it like "where the hell are the wolves?"

Then I read the last few lines from Riki at the end of the main arc and then I realized.
^click me!^
My Socials
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

Dragon wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:36 pm

Well you got a great point there!

I really didn't think about that Yoshi having to develop new characters if older ones die, but of course it might be the fact that the guys have been around since GDWO and still haven't gotten much personality or much to do and i may have lost hope for that. The idea of rehashing personalities is actually not a problem for me, as long as they fit to the characters.

I talked about Andy being an exaggerated version of John, and my problem actually is that that's the only thing Andy does, he just acts like a arrogant smartass all the time and has nothing else to do or to offer, and therefore he gets irritating and his antics wear off.

Certainly the idea of Orion and younger generation taking over after Gin and Elders passing would be very interesting, and see how it will continue through generations to come.
kahooton
Comrade
Comrade

Post by kahooton »

I used to think Cross and Smith were siblings for like 4 or 5 years LOL
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

kahooton wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:21 pm I used to think Cross and Smith were siblings for like 4 or 5 years LOL
OMG lol

Thats cute, they do kinda act like bickering siblings in GNG sometimes
Hyzenthlay Rose
Banned
Banned

Post by Hyzenthlay Rose »

I have a hard time liking Hideotshi just because he was a big-game trophy hunter.

I can understand killing Akakabuto since he was a genuine threat and I can understand killing animals for food but killing wild animals just to turn them into trophies is something I can't forgive (especially if they're endangered species).
The Gay Jackalope

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

Hyzenthlay Rose wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:47 am I have a hard time liking Hideotshi just because he was a big-game trophy hunter.

I can understand killing Akakabuto since he was a genuine threat and I can understand killing animals for food but killing wild animals just to turn them into trophies is something I can't forgive (especially if they're endangered species).
Honestly I feel this

I already didn't care about him much, but this didn't help with that at all
^click me!^
My Socials
Hyzenthlay Rose
Banned
Banned

Years ago when I first watched GNG, younger me was horrified when John killed those two bear cubs. Looking at it now though, I think what he did was actually merciful since it would be hard for those cubs to survive without a mother. And if they did survive, they would most likely grow up vengeful like Monsoon.
Last edited by Hyzenthlay Rose on Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gay Jackalope

Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Hyzenthlay Rose wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:47 am I have a hard time liking Hideotshi just because he was a big-game trophy hunter.

I agree, though I have to say it fits his role/character well. :KRUMP:
Hyzenthlay Rose
Banned
Banned

Wolpard wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:00 am

I agree, though I have to say it fits his role/character well. :KRUMP:
You're not wrong...but still :OUT:
The Gay Jackalope

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Hyzenthlay Rose wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:08 am Years ago when I first watched GNG, younger me was horrified when John killed those tow bear cubs. Looking at it now though, I think what he did was actually merciful since it would be hard for those cubs to survive without a mother. And if they did survive, they would most likely grow up vengeful like Monsoon.
When I first watched it (I was 12 I think) I was annoyed at Gin for intervening, because John was just doing his job as dog! Dx And Gin wasn't being doggish enough for me in that scene. xD
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

I got a coupon to a manga site and started to look at Ginga Orion covers.... and....
YAMABIKO IS BLUE/GRAY????? Wow. I had no idea. It looks so weird on him... I thought he was brown! Im disappointedddd.
Speaking of these covers, Tesshin keeps being colored aa borderline black instead of brown. o-o; if hes black, how would we be able to see his spots, guys.

ImageImage
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Dragon wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:32 pm I got a coupon to a manga site and started to look at Ginga Orion covers.... and....
YAMABIKO IS BLUE/GRAY????? Wow. I had no idea. It looks so weird on him... I thought he was brown! Im disappointedddd.
Speaking of these covers, Tesshin keeps being colored aa borderline black instead of brown. o-o; if hes black, how would we be able to see his spots, guys.
I've always thought Tesshin is gray, aka light black... But why brown? :O I can't imagine brown Tesshin!
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Kaiken wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:36 pm
Dragon wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:32 pm I got a coupon to a manga site and started to look at Ginga Orion covers.... and....
I've always thought Tesshin is gray, aka light black... But why brown? :O I can't imagine brown Tesshin!
Yeah, I agree with your tesshin colors. Like I wasnt sure if brown, gray, or something in between, but I for sure knew it was a lighter color.

ImageImage
Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade »

Yamabiko has had 2 official colors blue/gray and brown. I can't link photos but I think the ginga wiki would have examples of all his colors. ^^
Image Image
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Leomonade wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:03 am
Yamabiko has had 2 official colors blue/gray and brown. I can't link photos but I think the ginga wiki would have examples of all his colors. ^^
Here's a couple examples of Yamabiko's colors I snatched from Gingapedia:
So yeah, he can basically be anything you want, I guess. :bon1:

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Digsu wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:13 am
Leomonade wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:03 am Yamabiko has had 2 official colors blue/gray and brown. I can't link photos but I think the ginga wiki would have examples of all his colors. ^^
Here's a couple examples of Yamabiko's colors I snatched from Gingapedia:
So yeah, he can basically be anything you want, I guess. :bon1:
Ok this explains why I thought he was brownish gray.
Yoshi lol....... all in a day's work of being a Ginga fan.

ImageImage

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”