Music plagiarism in GDW anime

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Arctic Ranger
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Music plagiarism in GDW anime

Post by Arctic Ranger »

KremlinJill wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:23 pm The blatant lifting from the Last Samurai piece to make Crises is cringey as hell to listen to. No excuse there. The Y2dogs vanishing off the face of the earth is pretty damning. Perhaps the fact that the physical OST for GDW comes up so rarely on YJ/for sale makes you wonder if it ceased production a hell of a lot faster than other merch...but that is pure speculation on my part.
Makes you wonder how many other cheap/quickly made anime series play this game.
I doubt it's lightning in a bottle, that's for sure. That industry is so huge and there's so much competition.
"Exceed the you from yesterday."
-Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

Words to truly live by.
TenderVulture
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TenderVulture »

This is awful but I can't stop laughing. You are not immune to plagiarism.
Findog
Potential
Potential

Post by Findog »

I found out that one of the members of Y2DOGS is Yasumasa Sato. Listen to this! XD

This also become GDW vibes!
Ginga forever! <3
Sonichu
Defender
Defender

Post by Sonichu »

Oh lord, its a satanic circle of plagiarism (if these cases would be, Y2dogs be ripping off themselves in this case?) They would do very well in country-pop 'music'.
What a crappy rabbithole lol
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I'd say one of the members of Y2Dogs recycling songs they composed themselves has nothing to do with plagiarism. If they're the ones who originally composed it, they're not plagiarizing, they're just reusing them. It may be a bit lazy, sure, but it's nothing too scandalous.

Example: it's a popular piece of trivia among the Spyro fandom that Stewart Copeland reused one of the tracks he composed for Spyro the Dragon as the theme tune for The Amanda Show a year after the game came out.

The songs having a "GDW vibe" is even less of a case of plagiarism, as composers commonly have their own personal styles, so tracks from entirely different properties may end up sounding similar in style. For an example of this, if you made me listen to The Final Antasma Battle and asked me what series it came from, I would absolutely swear blind that it came from Kingdom Hearts when it's from one of the Super Mario RPGs. It doesn't sound like any particular song from KH, but it just has a very "KH vibe" to my ear, not because of plagiarism but because both series share a composer.

YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Digsu wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:33 am I'd say one of the members of Y2Dogs recycling songs they composed themselves has nothing to do with plagiarism. If they're the ones who originally composed it, they're not plagiarizing, they're just reusing them. It may be a bit lazy, sure, but it's nothing too scandalous.
Expect that this track is one of the plagiarized ones, it's straight up from Digimon Zero Two (and the composer for that series died around the time GDW anime began airing):
Findog wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:03 am
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

YamaDora wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:25 am
Digsu wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:33 am I'd say one of the members of Y2Dogs recycling songs they composed themselves has nothing to do with plagiarism. If they're the ones who originally composed it, they're not plagiarizing, they're just reusing them. It may be a bit lazy, sure, but it's nothing too scandalous.
Expect that this track is one of the plagiarized ones, it's straight up from Digimon Zero Two (and the composer for that series died around the time GDW anime began airing):
Findog wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:03 am
...Okay that's my bad. Sorry. :yama1: I knew that one sounded familiar, but I couldn't find the matching one from the GDW soundtrack. I was going through the songs too quickly and the fact that the Dynasty Warriors Online one lacked the intro both the GDW and Digimon tracks have made me miss it.

seven

Post by seven »

Wow! It makes me wonder if there are any other plagiarized songs on the GDW soundtrack. Good to know
Gultair

Post by Gultair »

I think it's worth echoing that this is very common in anime (and video games, and movies...).

..Even with much more respected artists than "Y2DOGS"

I'm not at all surprised to see it in GDW, even if I am still disappointed :EMPTY:

There are lots of talented people who have heavily borrowed from or plagiarized from other musicians... that doesn't undo their talent, but their talent also doesn't undo their wrongdoings.
SPOILER
It makes you wonder where a "homage" ends and a "ripoff" begins, and whether larger names in the industry get off a little easier (in the eyes of fans, at least) on these offenses.

To keep the discussion on GDW specifically, I think the reason GDW feels especially egregious is that it's stealing from another shonen anime. There's no excuse to be made for pop culture influence (maybe? Digimon is definitely popular, and Takanori Arisawa was immensely talented, but when I think of the Digimon anime, I don't think of the music before all else). It feels lazy, sneaky, and underhanded. Almost like somebody liking a drawing by a more popular artist, and instead of just taking inspiration from their style, or a few cues from the pose or the general feel of the piece, they just trace it.

I'm thinking that tracks from Digimon were used as a temp score during production, and Y2DOGS just didn't have the creativity to create something with a similar mood but different sound when it came time to make the original tracks, or the director may have wanted something "just like" the temp tracks. This isn't unheard of even in pretty big budget movies. Here's a great duo of videos on the topic

...and beyond Digimon, Avalon, and The Last Samurai, GDW also rips off music from Kamen Rider Kuuga, according to this Amazon review for the OST. Go figure. :OUT:
I'll comb through this soundtrack later to see if I can find any concrete examples.

Unfortunately until people (and the courts) start fighting these sorts of things more often and more vocally, and until composers start getting the respect they deserve for their work, this will keep happening. :(

To quote somebody on Reddit (lol)... "Welcome to art, where you're only as original as the obscurity of your sources."
Ilja . he/him
Completed: GNG anime, GDW anime
Currently: GDW manga
Skirio

Post by Skirio »

Wouldn't call it a plagiatism, but... I mean... am i the only one seeing similarities?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPWdGfI ... el=Uwuined

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj8PBz8 ... =FoxieEnvy
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Seeing that comment made by Gultair that mentions Kamen Rider Kuuga soundtrack being plagiarised in GDW, I got curious and listened through it to find any similarities.

And well, I found these:

Original: Kamen Rider Kuuga - Gekitou (timestamp 1:30)
Plagiarised: Ginga Densetsu Weed - Scramble

Original: Kamen Rider Kuuga - Eiyuu (timestamp 0:00-1:03)
Plagiarised: Ginga Densetsu Weed - Hougen and Genba version II
Suetic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Suetic »

InstagramToyhou.seTumblrTwitter

⚡Avatar by Pikafuey.⚡
TenderVulture
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TenderVulture »

This just keeps getting wilder.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Suetic wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:05 am Original: Yoshi's Island - Flower Garden
Y2DOGS: Ginga Densetsu Weed - GB's theme
Oh my god you're right, this is... I have no words XD
Findog
Potential
Potential

Post by Findog »

After seeing these videos seems like this is a quite common in Japan...?
Ginga forever! <3

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”