A Pic of Each Kisaragi's 19 Sons

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Dragon
Fighter
Fighter

A Pic of Each Kisaragi's 19 Sons

Post by Dragon » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:11 am

Well, technically 21, but ignoring the two kids from GNG, does anyone know if there's at least picture of each of Kisaragi's sons?
Every time they traveled in Hougen's Arc, there were only about 7 each time. Where are these other boys?
Shigure+Izou
~Art by フコ on Pixiv~

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Re: A Pic of Each Kisaragi's 19 Sons

Post by Digsu » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:15 am

Unfortunately I can't provide pictures right now, but no, there aren't images for all 19 of Kisaragi's sons. Back in 2018, I went through all of GDW looking for every single unique son of Kisaragi I could find for the November banners of that year and could only find thirteen. iirc most, if not all, were from the Hougen arc.

Banners and avatar by me

Dragon
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Dragon » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:54 pm

Dang, that sucks u.u Where do we learn there's 19 sons again? Hard to recall.
Shigure+Izou
~Art by フコ on Pixiv~

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:59 pm

Dragon wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:54 pm
I'm pretty sure it's at the end of the Russian dogs arc, when Kisaragi's sons return to Mutsu and the narration tells us how many of the sons died/were injured during the fighting.

Banners and avatar by me

Dragon
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Dragon » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:47 pm

Digsu wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:59 pm
Dragon wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's at the end of the Russian dogs arc, when Kisaragi's sons return to Mutsu and the narration tells us how many of the sons died/were injured during the fighting.
Oh yeah you're right. Went back to read...
I'm impressed all 19 just happened to live through Hougen's arc, but also.. to drop this bomb shell of a number so late in the series... it almost makes me wonder if Yoshi meant it or is it another mistake yet again for this poor family, like changing their breeds or calling them the wrong family member [I think it was nephews one time?]
Shigure+Izou
~Art by フコ on Pixiv~

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:28 am

Dragon wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:47 pm
Digsu wrote:
Dragon wrote:
I'm impressed all 19 just happened to live through Hougen's arc, but also.. to drop this bomb shell of a number so late in the series... it almost makes me wonder if Yoshi meant it or is it another mistake yet again for this poor family, like changing their breeds or calling them the wrong family member [I think it was nephews one time?]
Wait, they were called nephews once?
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera and Nokorde, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

Dragon
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Dragon » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:46 am

Tora wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:28 am
Dragon wrote:
Digsu wrote:

Im not sure if Im mistaking this for another character/family but I think I remember this error somewhere in GDW about Izou and his bros.
Hopefully Im not imagining it and this mistake doesnt exist xD but I coulda sworn...
Shigure+Izou
~Art by フコ on Pixiv~

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:55 am

Dragon wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:46 am
Tora wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:28 am
Dragon wrote:

Im not sure if Im mistaking this for another character/family but I think I remember this error somewhere in GDW about Izou and his bros.
Hopefully Im not imagining it and this mistake doesnt exist xD but I coulda sworn...
I think they're called his nephews at some point during their fight against Toubei and Genba? I know it does happen somewhere but I'm not 100% sure where. I could also have sworn there's exactly one point in the Russian dogs arc where they're referred to as the "children of the Four Heavenly Kings of Mutsu" but, again, I'm not totally sure.

And then there's the Chronicle, which says that the group consists of "Kisaragi's sons and nephews"... but since it's the Chronicle it still collectively calls them the "Malamute Brothers", despite the fact that apparently some of them are actually cousins, and also labels them as pure malamutes while also saying that both Kisaragi and his GNG kids are pure huskies. So take that with a grain of salt.

Banners and avatar by me

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:08 am

That would mean the Husky Kings of Mutsu got together with Malamute females and left their daughters with them and took the sons

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

YamaDora
Friend
Friend

Post by YamaDora » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:24 am

Digsu wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:55 am
I think they're called his nephews at some point during their fight against Toubei and Genba? I know it does happen somewhere but I'm not 100% sure where. I could also have sworn there's exactly one point in the Russian dogs arc where they're referred to as the "children of the Four Heavenly Kings of Mutsu" but, again, I'm not totally sure.
I just recently reread the Russian army arc and I'm pretty sure the nephew/children of the Four Heavenly Kings of Mutsu thing was mentioned at some point, probably at the beginning or the end of the arc (both times Ou army visited Kisaragi in Mutsu).

Dragon
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Dragon » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:51 pm

LOL that book calling them pure malamutes while calling the kings huskies.... i.. wat. :derpgin:

Luckily the group doesnt get shown too much in GDW so I'll try looking thru some Japanese scans later to find it.
Im currently typesetting this part so that'll be sad if i just missed it
Shigure+Izou
~Art by フコ on Pixiv~

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:24 pm

All right I'm finally able to check my GDW volumes again so here goes :tfw_sirius3:

These are the seven named ones:
Izou
Saburou
Miu
Kazuki
Shinsaku
Shuusaku

And here are the six nameless ones shown in GDW:

A pure white one.

This guy was once called Shuusaku by accident in the manga, while the anime named him Shinsuke.

Here are two who greatly resemble Kisaragi himself. They also look like Saburou except they have black bridges on their muzzles (and frankly if Saburou wasn't there with them I'd swear one was just him with slightly wrong markings). There's also a white dog with some black on his muzzle in the back, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to just be the pure white one.

The guy in the back also looks a lot like Saburou, but his white mask is larger than his. ngl I'm not totally sure this one isn't a slightly off-model Saburou.

Another Saburou look-alike, but with smaller eye spots. I could only spot him once, on page 65 of volume 22, and I'm even less sure that this guy isn't just Saburou with slightly wonky markings.

And here's where they're referred to as Kisaragi's nephews:
"After throwing Kisaragi's nephews aside..."
"...Toubee charged at his new enemy."

This is from page 77 of volume 20.

"Gin, Akame, Musashi, Jaguar, the sons of the Four Heavenly Kings of Mutsu, and Buruge's soldiers were in the western unit."

This is from page 150 of volume 44. However, this might be a mistranslation - there are several instances (like here) where Kisaragi by himself is literally called "Four Heavenly Kings of Mutsu Kisaragi" (陸奥の四天王如月, mutsu no shitennou kisaragi). It's possible that the above text box was referring to just Kisaragi and the translator failed to realize this.

Banners and avatar by me

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:52 pm

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:58 pm

I meant just the latter could be a mistranslation. Like I said, 陸奥の四天王 is sometimes just used to refer to Kisaragi by himself, despite it not making much sense in English. Like in the image I linked or here, where Shigure calls Kisaragi "mutsu no shitennou dono".

Banners and avatar by me

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:21 pm

Digsu wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:58 pm
I meant just the latter could be a mistranslation. Like I said, 陸奥の四天王 is sometimes just used to refer to Kisaragi by himself, despite it not making much sense in English. Like in the image I linked or here, where Shigure calls Kisaragi "mutsu no shitennou dono".
Oooooooooh! Nice find on that. Even though Izou just said earlier that his father Kisaragi is the only one living, Shigure still called him/them all the Four Heavenly Kings at that moment?
Now I wonder where else Mutsu Shi-tennou is mentioned only without Kisaragi being mentioned in name

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:35 pm

Tora wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:21 pm
Digsu wrote:
Oooooooooh! Nice find on that. Even though Izou just said earlier that his father Kisaragi is the only one living, Shigure still called him/them all the Four Heavenly Kings at that moment?
Now I wonder where else Mutsu Shi-tennou is mentioned only without Kisaragi being mentioned in name
I'm really not sure, but my guess is that "Shitennou" can be used both to refer to the group and the individuals in it - so Kisaragi is both a member of the "Mutsu Shitennou" and a "Mutsu Shitennou" himself.

Again, doesn't make much sense in English, but Japanese be like that sometimes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Banners and avatar by me

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:37 pm

Digsu wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:35 pm
Tora wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:21 pm
Digsu wrote:

I'm really not sure, but my guess is that "Shitennou" can be used both to refer to the group and the individuals in it - so Kisaragi is both a member of the "Mutsu Shitennou" and a "Mutsu Shitennou" himself.

Again, doesn't make much sense in English, but Japanese be like that sometimes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Would be most easy to just call Tennou then Shitennou, as in Heavenly King and not Four Heavenly Kings in translation. But Shitennou is so inprinted in Japanese to understand then call them "simply" Tennou I guess

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

Dragon
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Dragon » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:42 pm

Awesome findings, Digsu! That totals up to 13 designs now. Homestly, it's worth taking the mistake designs as a new son reveal since theres so many LOL

Also thanks for showing the word errors! I wonder if I call them sons or nephews at that point... I like to keep it legit to what the words say so I might go with nephews.
Shigure+Izou
~Art by フコ on Pixiv~

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”