Most useless characters in the series

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin
Phantom Riki
Seasoned
Seasoned

Most useless characters in the series

Post by Phantom Riki »

Who are the most useless characters according to you in GNG? It can be both from Manga and Anime.
Power isn't Justice.Justice is Power!!
Previously known as Mr Charisma
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Most useless characters in the series

Post by Phalene »

Well I find Chuutora quite unnecessary, I guess he just makes the triplet's whole :P I like him as a character but he just fades away after doing quite nothing
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Nuulo27 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:15 pm Well I find Chuutora quite unnecessary, I guess he just makes the triplet's whole :P I like him as a character but he just fades away after doing quite nothing
I kinda agree. He only really exists in the trio aside from the one Gaiden story. I kinda wish Yoshi gave him more substance, but then again thats a common theme with Yoshi's characters.

I honestly think a lot of characters in GNG are ultimately useless or at least unnecessary. That's not to say I don't like them but Yoshi had more characters than he knew what to do with. I'd say most of the minor characters are kinda unnecessary and are easily replaced.
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

Wolpard wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:52 pm
Nuulo27 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:15 pm Well I find Chuutora quite unnecessary, I guess he just makes the triplet's whole :P I like him as a character but he just fades away after doing quite nothing
I kinda agree. He only really exists in the trio aside from the one Gaiden story. I kinda wish Yoshi gave him more substance, but then again thats a common theme with Yoshi's characters.

I honestly think a lot of characters in GNG are ultimately useless or at least unnecessary. That's not to say I don't like them but Yoshi had more characters than he knew what to do with. I'd say most of the minor characters are kinda unnecessary and are easily replaced.
So true. There are so many characters that only had like one mediocre job and that was it. Maybe Yoshi just loves designing the dogs and looses interested when it comes to adding them into the plot XD
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I found Bill quite useless, he just fades into the background and never does anything worth talking about, I think the only reason anyone remembers him is because he's one of the only good dobermans in the series.

The other is Bemu would be interesting due to his backstory but he does not do anything either, he's just there and I also don't like how he murdered dogs and yet he was allowed into the army.

Lastly Swimmer, I mean the name speaks for itself, he's only there to carry Cross through the water and then vanishes. Why couldn't you just let Cross swim across herself or another character we already had do it? So pointless adding that scene in!
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Gingaddict wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:05 am The other is Bemu would be interesting due to his backstory but he does not do anything either, he's just there and I also don't like how he murdered dogs and yet he was allowed into the army.
Well, Kisaragi got to join and his pack literally murdered half of riki's original men, so I guess they don't mind putting killing aside.
Lastly Swimmer, I mean the name speaks for itself, he's only there to carry Cross through the water and then vanishes. Why couldn't you just let Cross swim across herself or another character we already had do it? So pointless adding that scene in!
Good one xD I thought he looked cute, but he really did only have swimming as his purpose lol

I'll pick out of a main. Probably unpopular opinion, but of the big mains, Smith might be the most useless. Cool friend, but for the army, he's probably done the least. He even got knocked out immediately in the war against the bears. The most helpful thing he did on screen was save Gin and run away when Sniper knocked Gin out.

ImageImage
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Dragon wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:41 am I'll pick out of a main. Probably unpopular opinion, but of the big mains, Smith might be the most useless. Cool friend, but for the army, he's probably done the least. He even got knocked out immediately in the war against the bears. The most helpful thing he did on screen was save Gin and run away when Sniper knocked Gin out.
I do think Smith was only treated as comic relief by Yoshi in GNG. I really wish he gave him more credit! I mean he's a platoon leader, there's gotta be a good reason for that Yoshi!

And then he gives Smith a useless death in GDW...
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Wolpard wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:45 am
Dragon wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:41 am I'll pick out of a main. Probably unpopular opinion, but of the big mains, Smith might be the most useless. Cool friend, but for the army, he's probably done the least. He even got knocked out immediately in the war against the bears. The most helpful thing he did on screen was save Gin and run away when Sniper knocked Gin out.
I do think Smith was only treated as comic relief by Yoshi in GNG. I really wish he gave him more credit! I mean he's a platoon leader, there's gotta be a good reason for that Yoshi!

And then he gives Smith a useless death in GDW...
Right!? He's a platoon leader assigned by Riki, but loses so easily to the bears. And like you said, his death... owff. Not even a scratch on Kaibutsu ;; he was robbed of a chance to prove his worth the whole series. Even in the wolf arc, he feared them and then was left behind as the 'adults' went to fight... oh yeah... +Gin, the one year old. wtf was with that

ImageImage
FoxxTrott
Recruit
Recruit

Post by FoxxTrott »

I can't disagree with Smith being comic relief but he does drive the plot forward on occasion but I can't think of any other character who would be considered more useless
Wisp
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Wisp »

Chutora didn't do much by himslef.
AlaskanGingaFan

Post by AlaskanGingaFan »

Chutora who is merely included to complete the Kai trio, Bemu, Terry, Great, and Smith
DweZie Hype

Post by DweZie Hype »

Gin's brothers ofc
Zeroooo

Post by Zeroooo »

Deffinetly Smith
Arctic Ranger
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Arctic Ranger »

Funnily enough, I find that the series have a lot of useless characters when you think about it at length. Like Juga, what was his purpose in the story? I guess his biggest contribution was the 8 opposing warriors that he's trained, but those warriors themselves prove of questionable value in the story, ironically enough.
"Exceed the you from yesterday."
-Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

Words to truly live by.
Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade »

I feel bad but Bill, Hakurou and Bemu are kinda just floating around being nobodies
Image Image
SF86

Post by SF86 »

Karasu and Luke (The leaders of the eighth and eleventh platoon)
Did the even came back? I always wondered what happened to this platoons.
Tenrou24
Potential
Potential

Post by Tenrou24 »

SF86 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:37 am Karasu and Luke (The leaders of the eighth and eleventh platoon)
Did the even came back? I always wondered what happened to this platoons.
Weren't they and their platoons killed by Kisaragi? Might be remembering wrong.
Ex-staff member of the now closed Silver Fang Fanhouse. If you want any old media from it, please send a pm.

DVT Survivor ♥

Typesetter for GDW Volumes 21-23 https://www.gingaboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=4869
Phantom Riki
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Phantom Riki »

Yep I believe they were killed by Kisaragi's army. Kurobe reported it to Ben.
Power isn't Justice.Justice is Power!!
Previously known as Mr Charisma
Sonichu
Defender
Defender

Post by Sonichu »

There's a lot I agree with in this thread:
-Bill and Bemu (there for their 15 seconds of fame and then killed off with little effort by Retsuga)
-Hakuro sadly, besides running his mouth he didn't do much in GNG. He really shined in GDW much later.
-Chutora. Literally there to make a trio, as many have said. Yoshi is quite fond of the 'three brothers' trope.
-Heavenly Kings outside of Kisaragi

I don't agree with Terry or Smith though. Terry had his 15 seconds of fame and was the reason for Kisaragi to join with Ouu, but would have made a better impact if we knew him more before his moment. Smith is a joker, but saved Gin from Sniper and although pretty badly wounded managed to lead Gohei to the final battle.
There is also the argument of useless character vs character made for a specific plot point (ex.Chutora vs Hyykaiga). Characters for plot points are meant to be throwaways.
Anselmo0454

Post by Anselmo0454 »

I think it is natural that such a manga with so many characters will be left behind after their character arc. For example I agree in this thread with Bill.

So I'll reply with the character I'd delete from the series because he's useless both for his character and because he brings nothing to the manga in my opinion, and that's Sniper; at least Hyena is useful as comic relief, lmao.

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”