Manga Planet English GNG Discussion and FAQ

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin
Uru
Friend
Friend

Re: Manga Planet English GNG Discussion and FAQ

Post by Uru »

Hm, I was hoping to read GNG today, but they were not free and now I'm just waiting for my account to activate...

I wonder: when MangaPlanet said that 3 chapters would be free, did they mean original 3 chapters? I mean, GNG's chapters are changed from the original. In Shounen Jump 1 chapter would be about 18-20 pages, but in manga they are ~60 pages.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Uru wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:37 pm Hm, I was hoping to read GNG today, but they were not free and now I'm just waiting for my account to activate...

I wonder: when MangaPlanet said that 3 chapters would be free, did they mean original 3 chapters? I mean, GNG's chapters are changed from the original. In Shounen Jump 1 chapter would be about 18-20 pages, but in manga they are ~60 pages.
They didn't say the first three chapters would be free, it was a misunderstanding on our part. Only chapter 1 is free.
Uru
Friend
Friend

Post by Uru »

I just noticed this & send feedback.

The pages in chapter 2 & 3 are in wrong order. The right page is odd, left is even. It makes drawings feel unbalanced. I hope everyone would send feedback to them so they can fix this.

(I tried to check my settings, but everything seemed to be fine there.)
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Uru wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:40 pm I just noticed this & send feedback.

The pages in chapter 2 & 3 are in wrong order. The right page is odd, left is even. It makes drawings feel unbalanced. I hope everyone would send feedback to them so they can fix this.

(I tried to check my settings, but everything seemed to be fine there.)
That is because they show the chapter page first as a single page, they do this with all their manga... :(
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Volume 2 Chapter 1 is up!

At least this chapter is in the right order as it's the start of the book :')
wisewolfgirl

Post by wisewolfgirl »

Will Manga Planet also release an English version of Ginga Densetsu Weed too?
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

wisewolfgirl wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:07 am Will Manga Planet also release an English version of Ginga Densetsu Weed too?
Unlikely as GDW belongs to a different publisher. Their GNG translation needs to be successful before they consider pursuing any other Takahashi titles :)
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Chapter 2 from Volume 2 is out!

The wrong page pagination is really noticeable in this chapter as there's a few spreads. Especially ruined over pages 90-91 where Akakabuto stands up :( but nevertheless, the translation is so good!

I compared this one to the fan translated version, and there’s little tounge-in-cheek dialog that I quite like the difference between.
On page 56 Gohee says to Hidetoshi “You don’t wanna die quickly like your father did, do you?”
Hidetoshi replies “Speak for yourself, Elder.” (lololol)
Fan translation:
“Don’t rush in after him.”
“That’s your method, Sir”. (LOLOLOLOL)
Uru
Friend
Friend

Post by Uru »

Yeah, I really dislike the pages. It is really shame. It is really small thing to fix, but it affects to reading experience so much. The whole pacing feels wrong and it totally ruins the pages where pictures are length of two printed pages which are visible at the same time.
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

I'm a bit late to the news, and haven't seen the new chapters until now. I'm very happy they are getting official English translation, but the quality is a let-down. GDW official translations had no Japanese symbols on titles and action words, and it actually looked official, but this one looks more like yet another fan translation. It's a great quality for fan translation, but for the official (i.e. the one I'm paying to read) not. =/
Another thing that really bothers me are some of the dog sounds. Why are their woofs texted as ''wow''? That's so dumb!
Still, it's nice that Ginga is being made more popular. Hope it brings in more people. And I hope someone translated SSY!
Arano wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:27 pm I'm really pleased with how the translation looks! The sound effects could have more oompf to them but at least they're there. Can't wait for more chapter releases :)

I think I like the fact they aren't putting footnotes everywhere? When fans translate, footnotes are really common because I think there's a weird need to bridge that gap and know every tiny insignificant detail to get the most out of it. When actually, you don't really need to go that deep to get the story...

... but speaking of insignificance :orion3:

Uru wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:14 am - Daisuke says that akita's have same build as Yamagata's koyasu dogs. Finnish version it is called Yamagata's takayasu dogs and there is no breed with that name...
I like this kind of thing and this is what I found out for anyone interested:

The character used in the Japanese version is 'ko' 高, but this has an alternate form 'taka' for names which looks like this 髙. Both can be read as ko or taka, but taka is specifically for names and more commonly seen as the latter kanji(?). Don't quote me on that's it's just what I could put together from google.

To confirm, there is no Takayasu district in Yamagata. The dog "breed" is 100% Koyasu as that is the place name in Yamagata, and the dog line went extinct somewhere in the 1930s. Apparently according to the wikipedia for them, this type of dog is where kai dogs have some of their roots.

Anyway, in the wikipedia for the actual dogs in question, it has the spelling in brackets for Kouyasu* inu(こうやすいぬ) so this is correct, and there's a festival for them every year at a shrine in Koyasu.
In the SJR reprint I'm looking at, the character used is definitely 高 with what looks like correct hirigana next to it as above, though it's really faded and I can't work out the last character... but the important ones are there.
*this is why it was spelt with a u in the fan translation

Yukio Togawa (author of King Fang) wrote a story about "the last Koyasu dog" named Chin called 'Koyasu Inu Monogatari' (The Story of a Koyasu Dog) in 1954 which had an influence in popularising the notion of protecting Japanese dog breeds from dying out, it was enough to be made into a film in 1986 - you can see an image here of the translated title.

But still, if you search for it you will often see it get referred to as Takayasu.

/detective
OMG! Is there any way to watch the Story of Koyasu without buying the tape?
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Bluey_Madison
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Bluey_Madison »

Did anyone else have a problem with trying to pay for a subscription? I use a visa card, and every time I tried to pay for the one-month subscription, even the longer ones, it's been rejected. The website said that they were looking into why some credit cards are being declined by Stripe, which is the online system they use to process the payment - here's the link to their FAQ page https://support.mangaplanet.com/faq/ I'm not sure how long this has been up, either. The first chapter looked nice, if a little odd with the way the dogs barked and how the sound effects were laid out, but I had no other problems with it and wanted to continue.

I googled it, but I first wanted to know if anyone else had any solutions, if they experienced this same problem.
man-faced dog
right dog is made by CantaloupeFish, left dog is unknown publisher magazine
:rocket: :jet: :missile: :luke:
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Bluey_Madison wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:52 am Did anyone else have a problem with trying to pay for a subscription? I use a visa card, and every time I tried to pay for the one-month subscription, even the longer ones, it's been rejected. The website said that they were looking into why some credit cards are being declined by Stripe, which is the online system they use to process the payment - here's the link to their FAQ page https://support.mangaplanet.com/faq/ I'm not sure how long this has been up, either. The first chapter looked nice, if a little odd with the way the dogs barked and how the sound effects were laid out, but I had no other problems with it and wanted to continue.

I googled it, but I first wanted to know if anyone else had any solutions, if they experienced this same problem.
I used PayPal. A visa card often gets rejected on internet, so PayPal is a way to get around it.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Kaiken wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:12 pm I'm a bit late to the news, and haven't seen the new chapters until now. I'm very happy they are getting official English translation, but the quality is a let-down. GDW official translations had no Japanese symbols on titles and action words, and it actually looked official, but this one looks more like yet another fan translation. It's a great quality for fan translation, but for the official (i.e. the one I'm paying to read) not. =/
Another thing that really bothers me are some of the dog sounds. Why are their woofs texted as ''wow''? That's so dumb!
Still, it's nice that Ginga is being made more popular. Hope it brings in more people. And I hope someone translated SSY!

The Japanese action/sounds aren't usually edited out of official translated manga..? I don't have GDW but generally I wouldn't use that as a benchmark as they tried to erase everything Japanese about it, including the way the pages should be read. But manga planets action words aren't done in a very good font so I give you that - sometimes they aren't even noticeable. The fonts used in the Finnish version are much better.

The 'wow' only appears once in chapter 1 where there should have been a yipe. I know it's disappointing but you can't judge the entire translation based on that one mistake of a dog bark. They use bow-wow, arf-arf, woof etc throughout other chapters which is correct for licensed english comic books (though as someone pointed out, bow wow is use more in children's books which is kinda funny). I have a hunch perhaps they dropped the 'bow' and used 'wow' in that bubble not knowing that is was wrong... Japanese only have two ways of writing dog barks: wan-wan and kian-kian, and in that bubble there is just the katakana for one 'kian' so perhaps they thought they couldn't use bow-wow? I don't know I'm just guessing XD
In English we have like 7 ways to write a dog bark in comparison... bow-wow, arf-arf, ruff-ruff, woof-woof, yap-yap, yipe-yipe, yip-yip so I wouldn't hold it against them!

I did send a support email about it on the sly when it was brought up but idk if they even read them :upsidedown:

As for the Story of Koyasu I honestly don't know...
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Arano wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:57 pm
Kaiken wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:12 pm I'm a bit late to the news, and haven't seen the new chapters until now. I'm very happy they are getting official English translation, but the quality is a let-down. GDW official translations had no Japanese symbols on titles and action words, and it actually looked official, but this one looks more like yet another fan translation. It's a great quality for fan translation, but for the official (i.e. the one I'm paying to read) not. =/

The Japanese action/sounds aren't usually edited out of official translated manga..? I don't have GDW but generally I wouldn't use that as a benchmark as they tried to erase everything Japanese about it, including the way the pages should be read. But manga planets action words aren't done in a very good font so I give you that - sometimes they aren't even noticeable. The fonts used in the Finnish version are much better.

The 'wow' only appears once in chapter 1 where there should have been a yipe. I know it's disappointing but you can't judge the entire translation based on that one mistake of a dog bark. They use bow-wow, arf-arf, woof etc throughout other chapters which is correct for licensed english comic books (though as someone pointed out, bow wow is use more in children's books which is kinda funny). I have a hunch perhaps they dropped the 'bow' and used 'wow' in that bubble not knowing that is was wrong... Japanese only have two ways of writing dog barks: wan-wan and kian-kian, and in that bubble there is just the katakana for one 'kian' so perhaps they thought they couldn't use bow-wow? I don't know I'm just guessing XD
In English we have like 7 ways to write a dog bark in comparison... bow-wow, arf-arf, ruff-ruff, woof-woof, yap-yap, yipe-yipe, yip-yip so I wouldn't hold it against them!

I did send a support email about it on the sly when it was brought up but idk if they even read them :upsidedown:

As for the Story of Koyasu I honestly don't know...

Oo, really? GDW volumes are the only official translations I've ever seen, so that's my mistake then.
Yea, "bow-wow" is also stupid. Probably even worse/just as bad as ''wow''. xD Oo, I didn't know about all the different English ''woofs'' xD Not my native language. ''Bow-wow'' still sounds stupid.

Awh. I found out it has been released in United States and apparently has English subtitles.
Favorites:
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

What are you most curious about upcoming chapters and translated "titles" to characters?

Me myself am of if they're conna call the Kai bros Hell Hounds, Demon Dogs, or Devil Dogs, and if they gonna keep the "ge" in their names: Akatorage, Chuutorage, and Kurotorage
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Tora wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:47 am What are you most curious about upcoming chapters and translated "titles" to characters?

Me myself am of if they're conna call the Kai bros Hell Hounds, Demon Dogs, or Devil Dogs, and if they gonna keep the "ge" in their names: Akatorage, Chuutorage, and Kurotorage
When they first meet, Ben refers to them as their breed colours and that is how they refer to each other during the fight for reference sake. But when the fight is over, Akatora is the first to say Kurotora and the 'ge' is not in their names going forward.

In the fan version I liked the transition from black brindle to Kurotora. Do other people like that as well or would the preference be black tiger striped? OR does Kurotorage etc make more sense if it is then shortened?
How do they manage those colour names in the Finnish version?

I had a reply from a manga planet producer (more about that later...) about the name issue yesterday about keeping their names Akatora etc rather than Red Tiger, Black Tiger like the ComicsOne book. It's been passed on to the translators so I know we won't be getting direct English names for them at least :)
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Arano wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:44 pm When they first meet, Ben refers to them as their breed colours and that is how they refer to each other during the fight for reference sake. But when the fight is over, Akatora is the first to say Kurotora and the 'ge' is not in their names going forward.

In the fan version I liked the transition from black brindle to Kurotora. Do other people like that as well or would the preference be black tiger striped?
Sounds like they did it exactly like how it's in the original Japanese, then: the brothers are referred by their "full" names for the duration of the fight, but the "ge" is completely dropped afterwards.

By the by, in the panel where Akatora first uses "Kurotora", the Japanese version also shows him calling Kurotora "aniki", seemingly suggesting that the brothers' birth order wasn't quite set in stone yet. How was this handled in the English translation? In the Finnish translation, the "aniki" was simply replaced by Akatora calling Kurotora by name.

Anyway, the "ge" versions of the names are never used in the Finnish translation, neither is it mentioned that the brothers are named after the color variations of their breed. However, the volume they debuted in included some info about Kai Kens at the end (Finnish GNG volumes did these "breed introductions" for most main characters' breeds) and the colors being called kurotorage etc. was mentioned there.

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Digsu wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:00 pm
Arano wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:44 pm When they first meet, Ben refers to them as their breed colours and that is how they refer to each other during the fight for reference sake. But when the fight is over, Akatora is the first to say Kurotora and the 'ge' is not in their names going forward.

In the fan version I liked the transition from black brindle to Kurotora. Do other people like that as well or would the preference be black tiger striped?
Sounds like they did it exactly like how it's in the original Japanese, then: the brothers are referred by their "full" names for the duration of the fight, but the "ge" is completely dropped afterwards.

By the by, in the panel where Akatora first uses "Kurotora", the Japanese version also shows him calling Kurotora "aniki", seemingly suggesting that the brothers' birth order wasn't quite set in stone yet. How was this handled in the English translation? In the Finnish translation, the "aniki" was simply replaced by Akatora calling Kurotora by name.

Anyway, the "ge" versions of the names are never used in the Finnish translation, neither is it mentioned that the brothers are named after the color variations of their breed. However, the volume they debuted in included some info about Kai Kens at the end (Finnish GNG volumes did these "breed introductions" for most main characters' breeds) and the colors being called kurotorage etc. was mentioned there.
Interesting that it's older brother, didn't notice that.
Still a ways off that part of the story yet but it's weird in English to address your siblings directly as younger or older - you'd say big or little brother so I guess we'll see what MP go for when we get there.

I guess choosing to not use the "ge" makes sense as it could be seen as a pedantic detail... Plus how would Ben know "official" breed colours anyway come to think of it!
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Is it just for me that there's no chapter up? Despite that their tweet telling otherwise
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Tora wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:44 pm Is it just for me that there's no chapter up? Despite that their tweet telling otherwise
It's not just you. It isn't there.
Have a nice day!

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”