How popular is Ginga?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
BuddyDog15

How popular is Ginga?

Post by BuddyDog15 »

Just kinda curious how popular Ginga is in other countries like Japan. Is it well known or kind of obscure?
Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Re: How popular is Ginga?

Post by Jinto »

I'd guess it has to be popular enough in Japan that it sells and continues this long. In other countries Ginga seems to be mostly unknown
skinklegs
Comrade
Comrade

Post by skinklegs »

It's pretty popular in Nordic countries! Mostly Finland I think.

I've met people at cons here in the USA that know what it is, but outside of anime conventions I wouldn't expect to run into anyone who's familiar with it. I'd be pretty surprised at least.
Fino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fino »

I've always been under the impression that Ginga as a whole is largely unknown. Though I was surprised to find out it's pretty popular in Nordic countries. I've met a few people who know what Ginga is, but they weren't necessarily fans themselves. "Isn't that the anime with the blue dogs?".

It's a shame really, but I can't say I'm surprised that it's not more popular in the US. It's sort of niche and due to a lack of manga being available in English the potential audience is limited. Of course, you can read it online, but you'd have to be actively looking for it, it's not the same as stumbling upon a manga in a store and getting curious.

I personally think the GDW anime is kind of goofy looking and isn't as charming as GNG. There's also the sexism aspect of the series and I guess it just doesn't go over well for most (understandably). I enjoy it mostly for nostalgia frankly, I haven't taken the time to even read all of the GDW manga or any of the new adaptations. I was surprised new merch came out in Japan even, as I didn't realize it was even popular in it's home country still.
sword_cats
Recruit
Recruit

Post by sword_cats »

It's not really known in Germany! There are fans, indeed, but we have like zero official translations and it's pretty hard to find anyone who knows this series here. I was quite surprised that it's quite popular in the Nordic countries and I kinda wish it'd be a bit known here too. But I don't think it's going to change, unless they make a new anime maybe? Possibly if there were more official English translations. Aside from that though, it feels like a pretty tiny chance of it getting any recognition whatsoever. Although I've been to cons in the past, I've never really met anyone irl who knows about Ginga.
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Since Ginga is mostly popular in Finland and is just about popular in Japan, I think the popularity level is somewhere at 7 out of 10.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Findog
Potential
Potential

Post by Findog »

It's mostly popular here in Finland, but I think in Sweden it's almost as big, they got it before us after all. Also Hungary have some fans because cut version was released there too.
Ginga forever! <3
Dolar
Potential
Potential

Post by Dolar »

I'm from Poland, some people which i met somehow heard about this series. Someone even create polish subtitles for series many years ago! It's not that big amount like in other countries but still something.
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

As other have mentioned it's greatly popular in Nordic countries, especially Finland.

Having lived in Norway I'd say it's also reasonably popular in Norway, with both cut and uncut versions available of the anime. Though it's out of print. Most people who know it i assume are late 80s and early-to late 90s kids.

It was ironically that version that was my introduction to the series
4townie
Mentor
Mentor

Post by 4townie »

It's probably only popular in Japan and nordic countries, especially Finland. It's rare to find a Ginga fan in the wild.
💜✨Ginga Board's #1 Matthew Lillard Simp✨💜
Ukaknir

Post by Ukaknir »

I have been lucky in that my best friend from high school already knew what Ginga Densetsu Weed was when I met her. Which is even more amazing considering that my high school was pretty small and I'm from the United States. I did have to introduce her to Ginga Nagareboshi Gin because she didn't know that it was the prequel of Ginga Densetsu Weed. She liked it just as much as Ginga Densetsu Weed. For her birthday last year I gave her my extra volumes of the Japanese Ginga Nagareboshi Gin manga that I bought individually since I bought all the volumes for a good price. She was VERY happy getting them.
There was a lady who used to work at a local arcade and I asked if she knew about the show. She said that her nephew liked watching it. This was back in 2012. Anyway aside from those instances, nobody here knows what this franchise is. I'm the one who has to introduce this show to people I know 99% of the time.
Justarandomfan1
Potential
Potential

Post by Justarandomfan1 »

Wouldn't say too popular, but I heard in some place (I forgot what it was) its extremely popular there.
:bearchibi: :mole: :gdwcross: :bella: :harpoonbear: :teru: :batto: :minnie: :moss: :chibi: :bob: :kevin: :rigel: :lenny: :bon: :unsai: :zion:
4townie
Mentor
Mentor

Post by 4townie »

I know that Ginga is really popular in Finland and other Nordic countries as well as Japan.
💜✨Ginga Board's #1 Matthew Lillard Simp✨💜

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”