Could Weed have been a better leader if he was older?

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
TenderVulture
Rookie
Rookie

Could Weed have been a better leader if he was older?

Post by TenderVulture »

SRS Question: could Weed have been a better leader if he took command of Ohu as a whole when he was older? He never should have had to take command as a puppy, and clearly the stress and trauma of his life have weighed on him, and his warped sense of justice has hurt the people around him. Maybe, given the time to learn from his father after Hougen died, he could have healed from his trauma and learned more of the practical skills of being a leader and learned to put his subordinates above his morals. Plus, not being the supreme commander could encourage his support network to hold him accountable for his nonsense and for him to mature. Just a thought. :THOT:

Either way, Weed should not have been put in charge of all of Ohu immediately after Hougen died. Kid still has a lot to learn, and he needs time to grow and heal.
Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Re: Could Weed have been a better leader if he was older?

Post by Jinto »

I don't think Weed being young is a problem as he did lead Ohu soldiers against Hougen. Weed would be a better leader if he would have a line when he needs to kill and when not and if he wouldn't try to banish his kids from time to time
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker »

I believe so. But Weed wouldn't just have to be "older", he'd need good enviroment for growing up. Staying beside his familly, getting to know his pack and learning how to be a good leader. He was extremely traumatized by the death of his mother and the death of Blue shortly after (and I think this is what shaped his "bad guys can redeem themselves if we show them kindness" views) then at the very young age everyone expected him to be a leader just because he was Gin's son. Everyone treated him like a boss not as a kid who needs guidance.
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

I doubt it, as even when he’s older he makes pretty bad decisions (i.e. putting the girl he’s known for about a month over his friends and family being murdered, exiling a literal child for doing what he’s too much of a pansy to do), or is just generally useless (pretty much the entirety of GDWO, TLW and GDN).
TenderVulture
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TenderVulture »

Jinto wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:02 pm I don't think Weed being young is a problem as he did lead Ohu soldiers against Hougen. Weed would be a better leader if he would have a line when he needs to kill and when not and if he wouldn't try to banish his kids from time to time
Agreed. Weed DEFINITELY should not have been a parent.
TenderVulture
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TenderVulture »

JazzyJazz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:57 pm I doubt it, as even when he’s older he makes pretty bad decisions (i.e. putting the girl he’s known for about a month over his friends and family being murdered, exiling a literal child for doing what he’s too much of a pansy to do), or is just generally useless (pretty much the entirety of GDWO, TLW and GDN).
I checked the wiki, and he's 2-3 years old in GDWO and GDN. DEFINITELY too old for that kind of nonsense. And yeah, he has no excuse for dereliction of duty during the Russian arc, or exiling his kids.
TenderVulture
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TenderVulture »

Troll Berserker wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:08 pm I believe so. But Weed wouldn't just have to be "older", he'd need good enviroment for growing up. Staying beside his familly, getting to know his pack and learning how to be a good leader. He was extremely traumatized by the death of his mother and the death of Blue shortly after (and I think this is what shaped his "bad guys can redeem themselves if we show them kindness" views) then at the very young age everyone expected him to be a leader just because he was Gin's son. Everyone treated him like a boss not as a kid who needs guidance.
I also think that his pack was reluctant to stand up to him when he made bad decisions a lot of the time because 1. He's still a puppy, it's expected he'll make mistakes 2. He's Gin's kid.

Gin showed that he was an able leader as a puppy, so there's definitely a precedent for that. I think everyone thought that Weed would become a better leader as he got older. Boy, were they in for a nasty shock.
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Maybe? I don't know. It's almost like asking, "Would Weed have been a better father if he and Koyuki had waited a few more years to have puppies?" Not that I'm implying he would, anyway. :tfw_bella1:
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Rusty
Victor
Victor

Post by Rusty »

Weed was kinda thrown under the bus in terms of leadership training just because "well, he's Gin's kid". He had the makings of a good leader, but he had no one to train him. Smith died before he could take him under his wing. Jerome is literally an assassin. John died before he could properly meet him. So in retrospect, Weed had to just rely on his base intuition.

So, to answer the question: yeah, I think Weed could've been a decent leader if he was older and had a stronger support system around him.
icon by dolan
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I think Weed should have waited until he got older to become a father more than a leader, he had hardly much time to learn how to do it nor much time to relax, he and his family were put through the ringer too much to learn how to relax!
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Noroi
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Noroi »

I feel like he would plus it would've made it a better age for him to be a father but puppies are for some reason considered adults when they turn one if I remember correctly :Koyukisweat:
:noroi:!Noroi!:noroi:
Awesomely drawn banners made by Sanda and Gingastar!!!
Thank you!!! <3
Nuwa Hots

Post by Nuwa Hots »

He's a traumatized kid with huge potential, but he's still a kid. He knows nothing about the world...
He needed a break. we need to learn to live in a world without war, listen to others, learn from others, admit our mistakes and correct them. He would become not only the good leader, but also a good father.
But he's a traumatized kid who everyone praises as a "saint" who can't be wrong. As he gets older, he becomes more and more withdrawn in himself and his superiority.
Tesshin-san
Potential
Potential

Post by Tesshin-san »

I think he would have become a better leader with more time, maybe he could have traveled more with Gin first and learned more from him
Cocoalings

Post by Cocoalings »

I personally think so. To me, the canon situation can be summed up as "aha! our most dangerous enemy is dead and you're our legendary leader's kid. congratulations, heavily traumatized 14-year-old, you now lead an army of (mostly grown) adults."

Jerome made a remark that Weed was just barely passing a year old, and he still had a lot to learn. If it were up to me, Gin would've remained leader after the defeat of Hougen, but mentored Weed to be his successor, something he wished that Riki could've been for him. Weed would officially become leader just before Koyuki gave birth to the star siblings, and Gin simply retires and hopes he taught his son well.
idk what i'm doing

My favorites:
:yukimura: :uzuki: :koushirou: :hiyan: :giyan: :mangariki: :gin: :smith: :kagetora: :ken: :gb: :george: :benizakura: :bella: :akatora: :chutora: :kurotora: :moss: :kaibutsu: :joe: :hazuki: :great: :fuji: :aka: :mel: :yamato: :ryo: :rigel: :lonelyron: :jumbo:

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”