Ginga Shounen Densetsu Dog Days SPOILER TOPIC

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Ginga Shounen Densetsu Dog Days SPOILER TOPIC

Post by Spirit Tree »

Thank you for the translation, Digsu!
SPOILER
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

It just hit me... what if those eggs are snake eggs? :tfw_sirius1:

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
vanille
Translator
Translator

Post by vanille »

I'm out travelling until tomorrow, but I'll get you guys the new chapter tomorrow night! :)
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

No worries vanille ^^
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
vanille
Translator
Translator

Post by vanille »

My apologies for being so late with this one!
Chapter 11 ~
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... share_link
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

That's okay, vanille. No worries. Thank you, though!

Initial reaction:
Oh God, that's a frightening looking chapter cover.

There goes the asshole father being an angry son of a bitch again. First he smacks Otto and then tosses the box of eggs without a single care?! Can somebody please put that guy's ass in jail already?

How did Otto and his brother sneak outside like that? :bon3:

I suppose the egg that Otto cracks open is the yolk of a different species?

Hey, Otto seems to be dreaming in his sleep. Let's see what it's about.

...Dragonflies? And he snaps off their wings and puts them in a water bowl? What is this, some kind of an experiment?

His mother seems to pretty upset about that.

Hey Otto. Where are you going now? Shouldn't you be rest-

Oh...it's that Michi guy! He must have snuck in and is now eating to fill himself up.

...Oh shit. The asshole father is awake. Why do I get the feeling that he's going to do even more terrible shit?
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Thanks vanille!

And yikes this chapter around
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Here's the translation!
SPOILER

Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

SPOILER
Shiruba
Legend
Legend

Post by Shiruba »

Thanks for the chapter and translation! I can't be mad about the dragonflies , he's just a kid. At least he's more caring now. I'm worried about Michi, I can't see this ending well for him.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Spirit Tree wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:23 pm
SPOILER
The concept of "gods" (or kami) in Shintoism is somewhat lax and - very roughly speaking - basically anything can be a kami if somebody just believes it's a kami. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to worship them, but rather respect them.

When it comes to dragonflies it particular, they apparently have some cultural importance in Japan so it's not that far-fetched that someone would consider them divine. There's also a species of dragonfly that's known as "kamisama-tonbo" (神様とんぼ), literally "god dragonfly", in Japanese and it's considered a bringer of good luck.

Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Digsu wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:15 pm
Spirit Tree wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:23 pm
SPOILER
The concept of "gods" (or kami) in Shintoism is somewhat lax and - very roughly speaking - basically anything can be a kami if somebody just believes it's a kami. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to worship them, but rather respect them.

When it comes to dragonflies it particular, they apparently have some cultural importance in Japan so it's not that far-fetched that someone would consider them divine. There's also a species of dragonfly that's known as "kamisama-tonbo" (神様とんぼ), literally "god dragonfly", in Japanese and it's considered a bringer of good luck.
Okay I see now. It looks like a tradition in Japanese culture or religion.
Beastface
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Beastface »

Considering the violent household, it's kind of expected for Otto to have a warped sense of empathy, tho I'm not sure if the dragonfly incident is supposed to be just a dream or a memory within a dream.

Part of me hopes the chapter cover is indicative of the kind of comeuppance coming towards the father's way but part of me also hopes that kind of insanity isn't a part of Takahashi's childhood. :tfw_sirius1:
vanille
Translator
Translator

Post by vanille »

Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Thank you very much, vanille!

Initial reaction:
I think Otto really covers for Michi and pretends that he was the one making all the noises. That way the father can shut the fuck up and go back to sleep. Good! That means there's no spear-wielding, right?

What do we have here now? Fires? Bomb explosions? Farming and butchering? Winter wonderland? So much stuff happening.

Oh it's Otto having another dream. But what just woke him u-

...Oh shit, was I wrong. Is that asshole father about to kill Michi with that spear now? :tfw_aokabuto2:

...No? He only smacks him? Okay. But this damn father should be put into an underground prison for the rest of his life.
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

You know, for a manga that is titled "Ginga Shonen Densetsu Dog Days" we sure are not getting a whole lot of the titular dog character, but instead there's all this family drama totally not based on Takahashi's own childhood and history lessons from early and mid 1900's Japan.

Not that I'm not complaining (I like history myself and I know Takahashi likes it too), but imagine how much more there would be to unpack if Takahashi was born early enough to actually be there for WWII and the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki - he was born after these events, yet he keeps mentioning them here anyway. It really shows the impact those events had to his and his father's generation.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Here's the translation!
SPOILER
YamaDora wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:32 am You know, for a manga that is titled "Ginga Shonen Densetsu Dog Days" we sure are not getting a whole lot of the titular dog character, but instead there's all this family drama totally not based on Takahashi's own childhood and history lessons from early and mid 1900's Japan.
I'm fairly convinced the title, as well as Roku showing up in chapter images even when he has nothing to do with the chapter in question, was just a marketing decision (probably by the publisher) to try and lure in fans of Ginga. I'm also not complaining because I find it interesting, too, I just think it's kind of funny how small a role Roku has in a series literally named after him.

Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

SPOILER
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Trying to create some actual discussion here because there haven't been much of that lately about this story:

I wonder how long this story will go on, and what kind of events it will cover?

Because it is blatantly obvious that Takahashi is writing this based on his own childhood experiences. However, my question is how long this story will go on. Will it end when Roku passes? That would make sense considering that he is the titular character here - a story to cover the time Takahashi/Otto spends with his dog.
But it also raises a question how much material (experiences from Takahashi's childhood) there is draw inspiration from. If I recall correctly, in his essays at the end of manga volumes he hasn't talked that much about his early childhood - the only stories I can recall right off the bat that take place in his childhood are: the very unfortunate incident with the cat, mentions of Kuro and his abusive father, the time he borrowed a comic from his friend (which was ruined by his father) and the story from his teen years when he and his friends rode a motorcycle. Will these stories be featured at some point in this story?

So far the only overarching story has been his father being awful and abusive. Will it just continue being just that with some little stories sprinkled in between? Are we going to see Otto grow up?

The story structure here is different from Takahashi's other works because it is so grounded in reality, but it's also almost impossible to tell how it will go.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

YamaDora wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:18 pm However, my question is how long this story will go on. Will it end when Roku passes? That would make sense considering that he is the titular character here - a story to cover the time Takahashi/Otto spends with his dog.
Personally, I kind of doubt this because in real life Yoshi was already an adult and living in Tokyo by the time Kuro died, which he talks about in Boku No Inu, Boku No Weed. Inu To Kurashitai (which is technically where the mention of Kuro's death comes from, since Boku No Inu just recycled like 90% of the text from Inu To Kurashitai, but I digress) even includes a photo of an "about 20-year-old" Yoshi with an elderly Kuro.
So if this series is meant to run until Kuro/Roku's death, that'd mean it'd have to cover Yoshi's life all the way from his childhood to coming of age, which would mean it'd be a pretty long one. Though on the other hand, the series ending with Roku's death and Yoshi Otto moving to Tokyo to pursue his dream of working as a mangaka could work well as a bittersweet ending. So maybe it just depends on how much material Yoshi's got and how popular the series ends up being. Or maybe it just covers his childhood and at the end there's a flash forward to when he's an adult and Kuro passes away, who knows.

I also sometimes get the feeling that Yoshi is just throwing unrelated childhood memories into the chapters as filler or because he doesn't know where else to put them, like how in the newest chapter the whole story about post-war scarcity and Nobu having to work to support his family has absolutely nothing to do with the current main conflict between the father and Michi. So it kind of feels like he doesn't really have a set plan for this series and maybe even he doesn't know how long it'll last.

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”