Board tidy up - voice your opinion!

Rules, announcements, news, and general information.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Board tidy up - voice your opinion!

Post by Arano »

Now the board isn't as active, I feel a refresh is necessary in terms of both general rules and perhaps a look at what to do with some dead areas of the board. My first act has been to get rid of the political discussion policy as it is no longer necessary. Basically, I want to improve the board experience.

The Ginga specific forums will be untouched but I feel the member forums/subforums could do with looking at.

🏗 Before I go around demolishing things I'd like to hear from the active members - do you have any opinions or suggestions?
Are there areas of the board you never visit?
What forums do you think can be removed entirely?
Are there any areas that need improvement/better organisation?

I see the board as a relaxed fan hub now where new Ginga information is archived and easily searchable, and people can come and go as they please. Unless Takahashi has another story in him I don't think we are going to see activity levels rise dramatically anytime soon, so I want this place to feel cosy 😌
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Board tidy up - voice your opinion!

Post by Spirit Tree »

Honestly, I think the Board looks alright. I can't think of any improvements at this time. But I can share an idea whenever I have one.

However, if we're talking about removing some stuff, I suggest the Sports forum under General Talk. Only a few topics, and there seems to be little to no interest in talking about anything relating to sports.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

I feel like most sections are pretty well used, even if some are slower moving than others. Sports and Tech Help are the only two that I think don't get used much, and I personally think Tech Help is good just in case someone does need it. If a specific section had to go, I would say sports, and any sports talk can simply go in spam or member talk, etc

The RPG section doesn't get much use either, unfortunately, but I like that we have one in case someone does want to rp. But really, if you told me that it was going to be removed I can't say I would be shocked or upset. I've always considered offering to volunteer to be a mod for it again and try to put some ideas together because I feel bad there's not much going on in it! I've had a couple ideas here and there for it, such as ideas for plots to encourage RPing, as well as ideas to rework a couple of things about the section.

I think it would do the RPG section some good if it were a little more open. Get rid of the abundance of sections we have for it (i.e a section for every location in the series), it's a lot and I've realized that maybe it's a little overwhelming/confusing to navigate. Additionally, in regards to diminishing the amount of sections in the forum, maybe we can just have two RP sections overall:
"Ginga RP"
And
"Non-Ginga RP"
Instead of having a section for every different timeline, maybe it's better to simply leave one big Ginga section open for fans and they can simply specify what the RP is (I.e: a GNG RP, an AU RP, etc) either through the topic title, the beginning of the topic itself, and/or, if it's a closed RP between members, decided by members who are RPing together in the discussion hub before they make their topic.

I think the same can be said about character claims. Claiming canon characters, I've realized, is very restricting. I would personally change it to letting anyone play whatever character they want. Not everyone will be taking part in the same RPs so I see no reason why someone can't RP, say, Riki in one topic, while someone RPs him in a completely unrelated topic!

And, last but not least, I think doing away with the stat system in the character application section would be fine. It's a lot to maintain and I think making the section as relaxed as possible would do good for it!

I know I helped create a lot of these aspects, but looking back on them I think there's room for improvement and if you want to keep the section around I'm happy to help in any way I can!

Being realistic however, like I said I will not be shocked or upset if you decide to remove the RP Section!

I'd also really love to see more with the art section again. I know we don't have as much activity anymore but I miss the yearly secret santas we used to have and I've considered starting one up if that's alright with you! I know that's not particularly a helpful idea regarding organization though XD I just think it's nice to hold some community events every now and again!

What about you, Arano? Are there any sections you have in mind for removing or improvement?
Last edited by Gingastar on Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Kin drawing by Sandatora
ZackThePuppy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ZackThePuppy »

I agree on getting rid of the inactive parts of the board, but I think we might still need a few rules about discussing politics, as discussing them in the past has led to several arguments.
Shiruba
Legend
Legend

Post by Shiruba »

I think the board is mostly used for chatting and artwork now. I don't know if in the future Yoshi will make another Ginga series to revive the activity here but for now I pretty much just use the Chat board.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

This is more a personal opinion but I would be curious if others feel the same about it and that is about the gallery content

One of the users has a habit of posting whole pages of the labelled character or group without spilling up the pictures to make it easier to copy them. Sometimes even the same image will be posted twice in a different part of the gallery instead of being in a group where it should probably have been in the first place. Also chapter images are not in said gallery but in a character gallery instead and some users just post one image many times over and it feels like the bits and pieces they add to their use signature take space within the gallery instead of the pictures themselves.

Is there a way we can sort that?
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Sandatora
Translator
Translator

Post by Sandatora »

I think the board is fine as it is. But maybe more activities for members to do together? Right now we only have banners and the Silver Fang Magazine, but I'm not sure what anything else could be outside of a Secret Santa that Star already suggested. XD

Icon by VyzWares on Twitter!
🌺 Art topic | Oc generator & Picrew | Art Fight | Toyhouse | Tumblr | Art Tumblr 🌺
SENTŌ INU
Recruit
Recruit

Post by SENTŌ INU »

Hmmm. I think overall the forum/sub-forums are okay. Perhaps some of the members board areas could be merged. Maybe getting rid of the sub-forums within general talk as I don't know if any of them have enough active threads to warrant so many sub-forums.
OreozFox
Rookie
Rookie

Post by OreozFox »

Gingastar wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:11 pm I feel like most sections are pretty well used, even if some are slower moving than others. Sports and Tech Help are the only two that I think don't get used much, and I personally think Tech Help is good just in case someone does need it. If a specific section had to go, I would say sports, and any sports talk can simply go in spam or member talk, etc

The RPG section doesn't get much use either, unfortunately, but I like that we have one in case someone does want to rp. But really, if you told me that it was going to be removed I can't say I would be shocked or upset. I've always considered offering to volunteer to be a mod for it again and try to put some ideas together because I feel bad there's not much going on in it! I've had a couple ideas here and there for it, such as ideas for plots to encourage RPing, as well as ideas to rework a couple of things about the section.

I think it would do the RPG section some good if it were a little more open. Get rid of the abundance of sections we have for it (i.e a section for every location in the series), it's a lot and I've realized that maybe it's a little overwhelming/confusing to navigate. Additionally, in regards to diminishing the amount of sections in the forum, maybe we can just have two RP sections overall:
"Ginga RP"
And
"Non-Ginga RP"
Instead of having a section for every different timeline, maybe it's better to simply leave one big Ginga section open for fans and they can simply specify what the RP is (I.e: a GNG RP, an AU RP, etc) either through the topic title, the beginning of the topic itself, and/or, if it's a closed RP between members, decided by members who are RPing together in the discussion hub before they make their topic.

I think the same can be said about character claims. Claiming canon characters, I've realized, is very restricting. I would personally change it to letting anyone play whatever character they want. Not everyone will be taking part in the same RPs so I see no reason why someone can't RP, say, Riki in one topic, while someone RPs him in a completely unrelated topic!

And, last but not least, I think doing away with the stat system in the character application section would be fine. It's a lot to maintain and I think making the section as relaxed as possible would do good for it!

I know I helped create a lot of these aspects, but looking back on them I think there's room for improvement and if you want to keep the section around I'm happy to help in any way I can!

Being realistic however, like I said I will not be shocked or upset if you decide to remove the RP Section!

I'd also really love to see more with the art section again. I know we don't have as much activity anymore but I miss the yearly secret santas we used to have and I've considered starting one up if that's alright with you! I know that's not particularly a helpful idea regarding organization though XD I just think it's nice to hold some community events every now and again!

What about you, Arano? Are there any sections you have in mind for removing or improvement?
I agree with this suggestion. While I have not used the RP forum in a long time, I would hate to see it removed because my friends and I have made many memories on there, and I doubt that future RPs are completely off the table. I agree with shrinking the RP section and getting rid of canon character claims to shave off some unnecessary topics is a good step forward.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Thank you for commenting everyone! I've been busy moving but will start to implement changes next week.

With regards to the RPG section, prior to its current form we had an open RPG area which received little to no use. After this, Astor and Gingastar were brought in as mods to revitalise the area. With them stepping down and giving the area to Rusty, activity has remained low.

I am happy to reduce the forum to two areas - Ginga and Non-Ginga - which I think is what we had previously. Would people still like a character area as well; a place to keep and build their own character profiles with no mod intervention/approval system?
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

Arano wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:47 pm I am happy to reduce the forum to two areas - Ginga and Non-Ginga - which I think is what we had previously. Would people still like a character area as well; a place to keep and build their own character profiles with no mod intervention/approval system?
I think this sounds like a good idea!
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Kin drawing by Sandatora

Return to “Main”