Opinion on Jerome's "If you're a dog, you must endure what your human does to you" speech?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Justarandomfan1
Potential
Potential

Opinion on Jerome's "If you're a dog, you must endure what your human does to you" speech?

Post by Justarandomfan1 »

Basically, what is your opinion on Jerome's "If you're a dog, you must endure what your human does to you" speech from GDW when he is speaking to Kaibutsu?

Personally... I hate it.
I mean.. Jerome is saying that you must endure whatever the humans do to you and do as they say, all because it's 'the instinct of a dog'.
Its just... Messed up.
Like Akame (The user) said from the 'best developed villains' topic, It's an interesting flaw for Jerome, but the other characters should have pointed out that it was not okay.

So, anyway, what is your opinion on his speech and how would you change it?
Last edited by Justarandomfan1 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
:bearchibi: :mole: :gdwcross: :bella: :harpoonbear: :teru: :batto: :minnie: :moss: :chibi: :bob: :kevin: :rigel: :lenny: :bon: :unsai: :zion:
skinklegs
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Opinion on Jerome's "If you're a dog, you must endure what your human does to you" speech?

Post by skinklegs »

Interesting thought process from a dog that's been abused (and watched many other dogs endure the same and worse) his whole life. Unsure if that's how it was meant to come across LOL but it gives some good depth to his character. It makes sense that sad, stoic Jerome would believe whatever was done to him is "right" and "his duty" and that's "just how it is" instead of admitting to himself that it's wrong.
Justarandomfan1
Potential
Potential

Re: Opinion on Jerome's "If you're a dog, you must endure what your human does to you" speech?

Post by Justarandomfan1 »

skinklegs wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:32 pm Interesting thought process from a dog that's been abused (and watched many other dogs endure the same and worse) his whole life. Unsure if that's how it was meant to come across LOL but it gives some good depth to his character. It makes sense that sad, stoic Jerome would believe whatever was done to him is "right" and "his duty" and that's "just how it is" instead of admitting to himself that it's wrong.
that is an interesting take you have on Jerome, it makes sense considering how he was raised to be an assassin.
Last edited by Justarandomfan1 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bearchibi: :mole: :gdwcross: :bella: :harpoonbear: :teru: :batto: :minnie: :moss: :chibi: :bob: :kevin: :rigel: :lenny: :bon: :unsai: :zion:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I wonder if Jerome's attitude is derived from bushido, which basically has My Master, Right or Wrong baked into it. So it's basically using "dogs should always be loyal to their masters" as a metaphor for "samurai should always be loyal to their lords", which fits in well enough with the dogs in Ginga being fairly samurai-like in general.

I genuinely don't know whether Jerome's speech to Kaibutsu is meant to be seen as a good or a bad thing, because on the one hand, Ginga usually has no trouble treating the Ohu dogs taking the code of bushido very seriously as a good thing, even when it causes them to do some really stupid things (exhibit A: All the dogs jumping in after Kyoshiro fell off the bridge in GDReq in the name of loyalty). But on the other hand, Kaibutsu's backstory is clearly meant to be tragic, so imho it'd be really weird if the audience is supposed to both feel bad for Kaibutsu and think he's in the wrong for finally snapping at his abusers.

I do know one thing for sure, though: I'm very glad the anime added the scene of Jerome telling the scientists to piss off and get out of Ohu, showing that he's no longer blindly loyal to them (and, by extension, that he was in the wrong before).

Adams Angel
Upholder
Upholder

Post by Adams Angel »

I agree with Skinklegs's take on this. But I think that his speech is pretty f :gin: cked up lol
:sparkles: Oh, uh, ugly people? :sparkles:
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

I very much disliked that opinion. I can kind of forgive him for it since he was trained to obey humans and be a killer, but what really irked me was that he very rarely, if ever, looked at it from Kaibutsu’s point of view. Would Jerome feel the same way if he was the one under the knife? Could he endure all that pain and suffering and still be okay with it because it's "what the humans want to do to him?"

Because he and Kaibutsu were dogs, then yeah, sadly a dog has to endure what the humans do to them. However since the Ginga franchise humanizes the dogs to a high extent, I’m more inclined to have sympathy for Kaibutsu than agree with what Jerome said.

From a character development point of view, I wouldn’t change it. Yoshi clearly intended for Jerome to become more than just a killer, so looking back on that past line just shows how far Jerome has come from that way of thinking.

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”