GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin
Tora
Legend
Legend

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Tora »

I need a bit of help to wanna look in the manga for the name of Shinji or Shinsuke of Daisuke's friend.

We know the anime calls him Shinji. But they also called Benizakura's owner Shin instead of Nobuo. So I wanna know if his name is ever said in the manga anywhere.
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Tora wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:50 pm I need a bit of help to wanna look in the manga for the name of Shinji or Shinsuke of Daisuke's friend.

We know the anime calls him Shinji. But they also called Benizakura's owner Shin instead of Nobuo. So I wanna know if his name is ever said in the manga anywhere.
I checked the two scenes in the manga where he appears (when he and Daisuke talk about Gohei taking Gin away, and the scene where Gohei collapses in front of them and Daisuke picks him up) and he's not named. Unless there's some scene I'm forgetting, I assume his name isn't mentioned in the manga then.

Also I'm pretty sure his name is Shinsuke, since that's what Daisuke calls him in episode 2 (when he's on the ground and Gin is tugging at his scarf) - or at least I'm pretty sure that's what he calls him. But for some reason he is called Shinji (信治) in the ending credits so make of that what you will.

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Digsu wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:16 pm
Tora wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:50 pm I need a bit of help to wanna look in the manga for the name of Shinji or Shinsuke of Daisuke's friend.

I checked the two scenes in the manga where he appears (when he and Daisuke talk about Gohei taking Gin away, and the scene where Gohei collapses in front of them and Daisuke picks him up) and he's not named. Unless there's some scene I'm forgetting, I assume his name isn't mentioned in the manga then.

Also I'm pretty sure his name is Shinsuke, since that's what Daisuke calls him in episode 2 (when he's on the ground and Gin is tugging at his scarf) - or at least I'm pretty sure that's what he calls him. But for some reason he is called Shinji (信治) in the ending credits so make of that what you will.
I manage to look at the Japanese transcript on my phone, and it seem to be Shinji, with the furigana in brackets when his name is first seen. Daisuke's saying Shinji-kun (信治君) apparently. Though the -kun might sound different of dialect?

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Tora wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:23 pm
Digsu wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:16 pm

I manage to look at the Japanese transcript on my phone, and it seem to be Shinji, with the furigana in brackets when his name is first seen. Daisuke's saying Shinji-kun (信治君) apparently. Though the -kun might sound different of dialect?
Ah, I guess that makes sense.

Noroi
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Noroi »

So I'm kinda behind in the anime(I'm only on episode 12) and I was scanning through some of the episodes to see if Hakurou's laugh was real or I have no idea why. So when Benizakura was leaving and the owner/little boy was yelling "Don" over and over. Is that Benizakura's nickname?

If it was in the manga or on the wiki I can't really remember even if I see it for a second I'll have a shitty memory.
:noroi:!Noroi!:noroi:
Awesomely drawn banners made by Sanda and Gingastar!!!
Thank you!!! <3
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Noroi wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:49 pm So I'm kinda behind in the anime(I'm only on episode 12) and I was scanning through some of the episodes to see if Hakurou's laugh was real or I have no idea why. So when Benizakura was leaving and the owner/little boy was yelling "Don" over and over. Is that Benizakura's nickname?

If it was in the manga or on the wiki I can't really remember even if I see it for a second I'll have a shitty memory.
The boy doesn't know Benizakura's real name, so "Don" is the name he gave him.

Noroi
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Noroi »

Digsu wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:29 pm
Noroi wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:49 pm So I'm kinda behind in the anime(I'm only on episode 12) and I was scanning through some of the episodes to see if Hakurou's laugh was real or I have no idea why. So when Benizakura was leaving and the owner/little boy was yelling "Don" over and over. Is that Benizakura's nickname?

The boy doesn't know Benizakura's real name, so "Don" is the name he gave him.
Thanks Digsu :)
Thank you!!! <3
Noroi
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Noroi »

So I just noticed this
In the wolf arc Shūga and Mukonga have missing legs with bones sticking out but when Hakurō, Noroi, and Reima get their legs ripped off and there’s no bone. Was this intentional or did Yoshi just forget?
Thank you!!! <3
Wisp
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Wisp »

@Noroi, those bones were sharpened up with intent.
7-9 to the west
and 10-12 to the east.
It was later known that Terry's units that went north were all destroyed. That was the story with Kisaragi.
but what happened to the other units???
Noroi
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Noroi »

Wisp wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:35 pm @Noroi, those bones were sharpened up with intent.
7-9 to the west
and 10-12 to the east.
It was later known that Terry's units that went north were all destroyed. That was the story with Kisaragi.
It's most likely when Kisaragi and his brothers joined the Ohu army they took the north units with them as they'd usually do in the series.
Thank you!!! <3
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Wisp wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:35 pm I have one question! Riki sent out army units in all directions at the very beginning.
Unit 1-3 with Ben and Gin to the south,
unit 4-6 north,
7-9 to the west
and 10-12 to the east.
I guess Yoshi just forgot about them. But who knows for sure.

In volume 7, Gin and the others meet Idaten Rokusuke, who was supposedly part of one of the groups that headed west - but even that scene's more confusing than anything because Rokusuke says he's a messenger for "Gon of the fifth platoon", when Terry is the leader of the fifth platoon and the fifth platoon was supposed to have headed north, not west, anyway.

Basically, goodness knows what's up with the west- and eastward groups of the Ohu army.

Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Question about Kasumi Dake's location.

I try searching for it myself. And my search progress points to Nagano Prefecture. A little bit south of another place called Kamikochi.

So Kasumi Dake, Moss's old home, is located in Nagano Prefecture. Is this correct?
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Spirit Tree wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:52 am Question about Kasumi Dake's location.

I try searching for it myself. And my search progress points to Nagano Prefecture. A little bit south of another place called Kamikochi.

So Kasumi Dake, Moss's old home, is located in Nagano Prefecture. Is this correct?
According to the map included in Meteor Gin, Moss lived in Yamanashi, so that's presumably where Kasumidake is. Not sure if the map is 100% accurate (goodness knows not everything in Meteor Gin is), but this tracks with Moss and the Kai bros' territories being near one another.

I couldn't find any actual place in Japan called Kasumidake (although there's this mountain that uses the same kanji, 霞岳 - except most sources say it's pronounced Kasumigaoka, and it's in Kyushu so it's not even on the right island for it to be the Kasumidake for GNG). The only place in Nagano that came close was Kasumizawadake (霞沢岳), which is close but not quite the same.

My guess is that Kasumidake isn't meant to be any real life place, but simply something made up for the series like Futago Pass. The name simply means "mist(y) mountain", so it's generic enough to be something Yoshi just made up.

Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Digsu wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:48 pm
Spirit Tree wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:52 am Question about Kasumi Dake's location.

According to the map included in Meteor Gin, Moss lived in Yamanashi, so that's presumably where Kasumidake is. Not sure if the map is 100% accurate (goodness knows not everything in Meteor Gin is), but this tracks with Moss and the Kai bros' territories being near one another.

I couldn't find any actual place in Japan called Kasumidake (although there's this mountain that uses the same kanji, 霞岳 - except most sources say it's pronounced Kasumigaoka, and it's in Kyushu so it's not even on the right island for it to be the Kasumidake for GNG). The only place in Nagano that came close was Kasumizawadake (霞沢岳), which is close but not quite the same.

My guess is that Kasumidake isn't meant to be any real life place, but simply something made up for the series like Futago Pass. The name simply means "mist(y) mountain", so it's generic enough to be something Yoshi just made up.
Kasumizawadake (霞沢岳) is the name in Nagano Prefecture that I initially thought was it. But since Kasumi Dake is apparently a fictional place like Futago Pass, that's another thing I just learned. I knew that the Kai Brothers lived in Yamanashi Prefecture and were next-door neighbors to Moss. I didn't think they both lived that close to each other, but it makes sense due to the frequent rivalry between Moss and the Kais.

I shall now accept that Kasumi Dake is located in Yamanashi Prefecture near the border to Nagano after looking at the sources that you provided. Thank you for the help!
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

A question regarding the Ginga Yondai:

Does anyone have any idea which edition the "introduction/death" volumes for GNG are referring to? It's clearly not the first edition (which is a weird enough decision on its own) as the edition they're referring to seems to only have 10 volumes.

For reference, according to the Yondai:
-Akakabuto's offspring first appear in volume 1
-Ben, Cross, and the other Ohu dogs are introduced in volume 2
-Lloyd dies in volume 3
-Kurojaki dies in volume 4
-The Mutsu brothers are introduced in volume 5
-Terry dies in volume 6
-Akatora, Akakabuto, and Riki all die in volume 7
-Bill and Bemu die in volume 8
-Noroi dies in volume 9
-Gaia and Reima die in volume 10

This matches up with the 3rd edition except for Akakabuto and Riki's deaths, as they actually die in volume 8 (volume 7 ends at Akatora's death). According to GingaMerch that only leaves the 2nd edition, which I don't own, but the chapter title written on the cover of volume 8 (父の教えの巻/Father's Teachings) is the one where Riki teaches Gin the Battouga. So I assume they're both still alive at the start of volume 8 even in the 2nd edition?

So basically, is there actually some 10-volume release of GNG out there where Akakabuto and Riki die in volume 7, or is this just the Yondai being the Yondai again and they just managed to mix up which volumes two of the series' most important characters die?

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

2nd edition is the same as in the 3rd, Riki and Akakabuto dies in vol 8.

Ginga Yondai sure is full of errors

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Tora wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:00 pm 2nd edition is the same as in the 3rd, Riki and Akakabuto dies in vol 8.

Ginga Yondai sure is full of errors
Can't say I'm particularly surprised tbh :tfw_aokabuto2: Thanks for the info!

4townie
Mentor
Mentor

Post by 4townie »

Anyone know what episode this is from? I honestly don't remember Gin looking like this.
💜✨Ginga Board's #1 Matthew Lillard Simp✨💜
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

4townie wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:56 am Anyone know what episode this is from? I honestly don't remember Gin looking like this.
Episode 16!

While Gin and the others are traveling, there is a rustling in the grass and Gin demands to know who is there.
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Avatar by Kasi | Banner by Sandatora
4townie
Mentor
Mentor

Post by 4townie »

Gingastar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:34 am
4townie wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:56 am Anyone know what episode this is from? I honestly don't remember Gin looking like this.
Episode 16!

While Gin and the others are traveling, there is a rustling in the grass and Gin demands to know who is there.
Ty!
💜✨Ginga Board's #1 Matthew Lillard Simp✨💜

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”