GDW General Questions Thread

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Re: GDW General Questions Thread

Post by YamaDora »

Wolpard wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:43 pm So the boars and dogs were able to understand/speak each other right? During the scene at the healing spring.

As far as I know this is the only time when two different species didn't speak a different language. So did Yoshi forget for a bit that different animals cant talk to each other? Unless they learn each other's language, which we see later with Bob, Zion, and Chibi.
Not in the manga, at least. Boars had those black speech bubbles that bears also use, and dogs clearly only heard them making just pig noises.

Also, dogs and monkeys could understand each other just fine.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

YamaDora wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:18 pm
Wolpard wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:43 pm So the boars and dogs were able to understand/speak each other right? During the scene at the healing spring.

As far as I know this is the only time when two different species didn't speak a different language. So did Yoshi forget for a bit that different animals cant talk to each other? Unless they learn each other's language, which we see later with Bob, Zion, and Chibi.
Not in the manga, at least. Boars had those black speech bubbles that bears also use, and dogs clearly only heard them making just pig noises.

Also, dogs and monkeys could understand each other just fine.
Thats true! I didn't think about the monkeys for some reason. Didn't Shogun have the black speech bubbles though?
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Wolpard wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:22 pmDidn't Shogun have the black speech bubbles though?
Yes, and so did have the monster (Kaibutsu). Though in the latter case you could interpret it as that only Jerome understood him (at least somewhat), but there is also at least one point where Yukimura seem to reply to Shogun.
Starstriker-K9

Post by Starstriker-K9 »

That’s what i question too, Wolpard. :THOT:
• 犬子犬 · ᵏ⁹
i am Inukoinu!
she · they | feral gay loser | p5 nerd

ImageImage
𓃦 carrd
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

I guess animal language is another thing Yoshi isn't super clear about... except with bears I guess.
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

What exactly is going on with the name of the Borzoi Brothers' guardian? When I first started reading the GDW manga scans years ago I remember his name being Sunshiro, but I looked him up on the GingaWiki and it says that his name is actually Saburō. So was 'Sunshiro' just a mistranslation? Like when Koushiro was mistranslated as Koujirou?
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Shining Sirius wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:18 pm What exactly is going on with the name of the Borzoi Brothers' guardian? When I first started reading the GDW manga scans years ago I remember his name being Sunshiro, but I looked him up on the GingaWiki and it says that his name is actually Saburō. So was 'Sunshiro' just a mistranslation? Like when Koushiro was mistranslated as Koujirou?
Yes, "Sunshiro" was a mistranslation. His name is Saburou.

As for why the mistranslation happened, the character 三 ("three") has a couple different pronunciations depending on context, including "san" and "sabu", and I guess the translator assumed it was the former instead of the latter, not realizing that 三郎 (literally "third son") is a fairly common name with the established pronunciation "Saburou". Not only is "Sunshiro" using the wrong pronunciation, it's misspelled as well, with "sun" instead of "san".

Though I have no idea where the "shi" could have come from.

Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Digsu wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:29 pm
Shining Sirius wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:18 pm What exactly is going on with the name of the Borzoi Brothers' guardian? When I first started reading the GDW manga scans years ago I remember his name being Sunshiro, but I looked him up on the GingaWiki and it says that his name is actually Saburō. So was 'Sunshiro' just a mistranslation? Like when Koushiro was mistranslated as Koujirou?
Yes, "Sunshiro" was a mistranslation. His name is Saburou.

As for why the mistranslation happened, the character 三 ("three") has a couple different pronunciations depending on context, including "san" and "sabu", and I guess the translator assumed it was the former instead of the latter, not realizing that 三郎 (literally "third son") is a fairly common name with the established pronunciation "Saburou". Not only is "Sunshiro" using the wrong pronunciation, it's misspelled as well, with "sun" instead of "san".

Though I have no idea where the "shi" could have come from.
Thanks for clarifying, Digsu. You are a veritable font of knowledge! :DD
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

While typesetting Volume 19 and seeing Shigure get ditched makes me appreciate the anime even more... Genba is literally the killer of all of his brothers... to know he never got even a sliver of revenge must be frustrating ... thank you to the anime for letting him assist Tesshin.

ImageImage
Jersokoi

Post by Jersokoi »

I'm seeing alot of ppl dislike Kyoushiro after the Hougen arc
I haven't read past whats translated :OUT:
So i'm just curious to why ppl don't like him after that
:gin: :riki: :ben: :gdwcross: :great: :kurotora: :akatora: :chutora: :moss: :chibi: :benizakura: :kurojaki: :fuji: :john: :minazuki: :hazuki: :kisaragi: :uzuki: :hakuro:
:tesshin: :kyoushiro: :jerome: :toube: :rocket: :hiro: :george:
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Jersokoi wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:12 pm I'm seeing alot of ppl dislike Kyoushiro after the Hougen arc
It's mostly in GDWO, TLW, GDN where his character gets completely bastardized, design changes, becomes a comic relief and cartoonishly angry. Though you can see his shift to comic relief in parts of Monkey Arc and Hybrid Arc as well. Worst offense is him beating young dogs, and being immature with all the character development in the Hougen Arc and the insight he gained gone.
icon by azzai
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Jersokoi wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:12 pm I'm seeing alot of ppl dislike Kyoushiro after the Hougen arc
Part of it has to do with his design getting worse over time, with his eyes getting larger and his eyelashes getting more pronounced.

The bigger reason, though, is his personality changing for the worse. Instead of being the legitimate badass he was introduced as, he gradually became a guy who's either picking fights for the lulz or being used for comic relief, ultimately culminating in GDN giving us "Jyoshiro" who's so far detached from his original character (his willingness to beat the crap out of a kid probably being the worst instance of this) that it's unbelievable. He wasn't much better in TLW, where he spent 90% of the series berating and occasionally beating up Orion for no apparent reason, or GDWO where he apparently was stupid enough to needlessly prolong his recovery after the volcano eruption because he couldn't sit still long enough for his broken bones to heal.

Jersokoi

Post by Jersokoi »

Digsu wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:34 pm
Part of it has to do with his design getting worse over time, with his eyes getting larger and his eyelashes getting more pronounced.

The bigger reason, though, is his personality changing for the worse. Instead of being the legitimate badass he was introduced as, he gradually became a guy who's either picking fights for the lulz or being used for comic relief, ultimately culminating in GDN giving us "Jyoshiro" who's so far detached from his original character (his willingness to beat the crap out of a kid probably being the worst instance of this) that it's unbelievable. He wasn't much better in TLW, where he spent 90% of the series berating and occasionally beating up Orion for no apparent reason, or GDWO where he apparently was stupid enough to needlessly prolong his recovery after the volcano eruption because he couldn't sit still long enough for his broken bones to heal.
Agh that's really unfortunate to hear, he's been one of my ultimate favorites so far, hope he has some redeeming qualities or get redeemed somehow. /:
:gin: :riki: :ben: :gdwcross: :great: :kurotora: :akatora: :chutora: :moss: :chibi: :benizakura: :kurojaki: :fuji: :john: :minazuki: :hazuki: :kisaragi: :uzuki: :hakuro:
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Digsu wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:34 pm or GDWO where he apparently was stupid enough to needlessly prolong his recovery after the volcano eruption because he couldn't sit still long enough for his broken bones to heal.
Not to mention that he got exiled by his own father when he was a pup, and yet he sided with Weed in exiling his 6 month old son because said son wanted to kill a murderous warlord (something that Kyousiro never had qualms about). If anything, Kyoushro should have seen himself in Orion, for being a foil to Weed's rigid pacifism.
Last edited by Atha on Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icon by azzai
Jersokoi

Post by Jersokoi »

Atha wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:26 pm
It's mostly in GDWO, TLW, GDN where his character gets completely bastardized, design changes, becomes a comic relief and cartoonishly angry. Though you can see his shift to comic relief in parts of Monkey Arc and Hybrid Arc as well. Worst offense is him beating young dogs, and being immature with all the character development in the Hougen Arc and the insight he gained gone.
Yo that makes me sad to hear, he was one of my favorites in the series, i can only hope his character gets better but i doubt it /:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I realize this is more specific to the fandom than GDW itself, but the new smileys made me think of it so here goes:

Where did Hiro and Reika's two unnamed kids get the names Ami and Shou from? Was it a case of people accidentally taking words out of context in the manga, like how "hyan" and "gyaan" were mistakenly believed to be the names of Gin's siblings instead of random screaming/whining noises, or did some fan just come up with the names and they got so popular people started thinking they actually are their canon names?

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Digsu wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:06 pm I realize this is more specific to the fandom than GDW itself, but the new smileys made me think of it so here goes:

Where did Hiro and Reika's two unnamed kids get the names Ami and Shou from? Was it a case of people accidentally taking words out of context in the manga, like how "hyan" and "gyaan" were mistakenly believed to be the names of Gin's siblings instead of random screaming/whining noises, or did some fan just come up with the names and they got so popular people started thinking they actually are their canon names?
They never got their official, canon names. The fans have named them Ami and Shou according to Ginga Wikia. That way, until real names are introduced, we're stuck with these, as they would make more sense (and be more recognizable) than Hiropup1 and Hiropup2
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Kaiken wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:36 pm
Digsu wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:06 pm I realize this is more specific to the fandom than GDW itself, but the new smileys made me think of it so here goes:

They never got their official, canon names. The fans have named them Ami and Shou according to Ginga Wikia. That way, until real names are introduced, we're stuck with these, as they would make more sense (and be more recognizable) than Hiropup1 and Hiropup2
I know they never got canon names and Ami and Shou are fan names. I'm just curious if anyone knows or remembers where the names originally came from.

I do agree that having unofficial names is preferable to no names at all, though I do find it a bit funny that one of the pups has been given the very female-sounding name Ami when all four are canonically male.

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Digsu wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:43 pm
Kaiken wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:36 pm

I know they never got canon names and Ami and Shou are fan names. I'm just curious if anyone knows or remembers where the names originally came from.

I do agree that having unofficial names is preferable to no names at all, though I do find it a bit funny that one of the pups has been given the very female-sounding name Ami when all four are canonically male.
Ah, woops, I misunderstood the question then xD

It is? In my country ''Ami'' or ''Amir'' is mildly popular male dog name.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Nexuz

Post by Nexuz »

I just got the idea to reanimate the whole first episode of gdw. In the school i go to the last years get a big project that take up the whole last year. If i understand it correctly the last years choose what they want to do, everyone can choose what they want to do. So i was thinking for my project i would animate and dub the whole first episode (maybe more). i'm currently just in second year so i don't have this project now.
Is it a good idea? Should i do it?? should i animate the plot from the manga or anime??? sorry for the bad english..

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”